Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloadable Expansion?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Downloadable Expansion? Reply with quote

I wonder if it might be feasable for some of these expansions to simply be downloadable? pay your 15-20$ and download the entire book right off the site? then of course it could be full color.

I am not suggesting this for big products of course, but smaller things like middle years might be a good idea?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For-pay Pdf's and ADB are not on speaking terms.

Mainly because for-pay pdf is a cheating so-and-so who never pays on subsequent dates and proceeds to hop into every computer bed it can find.

Seriously, SVC has been asked this (seriously) a thousand times and no one has convinced him it will do anything except make him lose sales and money. That is coming from a guy who gives us pdf freebies every month and has been at this for decades. I'll take his word for it.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seriously, SVC has been asked this (seriously)

I cant tell if your serious or not...
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Software piracy is definitly a problem. Once something is converted to electronic form its hard to guard where it goes.

However one thing I have noticed about this community is its undying support of the products and thier creators. I highly doubt anyone here would buy a pdf based product and then give it out. The people who play these games like them too much to cheat like that.

Not to mention the product in question would be a low end item. Something that only some people would want anyway. It sounds like SVC doesnt think even 200 of these EY, MY or Xship rules sections would sell. If thats the case then even if some were indeed pirated by the unscrupulous, then it wouldnt be much of a loss. The biggest gain would be to the community.
Carthaginian
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been in this community a day or two, but I've already been given an entire SFB module worth of FREE SHIPS, with the promise of 2-3 more monthly. That's a plenty for me... I'd rather pay a few bucks extra and wait 3-4 days for the product that arrives than risk ADB becoming upset or having any difficulties with copyright infringement.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carthaginian wrote:
I've only been in this community a day or two, but I've already been given an entire SFB module worth of FREE SHIPS, with the promise of 2-3 more monthly. That's a plenty for me... I'd rather pay a few bucks extra and wait 3-4 days for the product that arrives than risk ADB becoming upset or having any difficulties with copyright infringement.

It has absolutly nothing with waiting 3-4 days for a product. Nothing at all. I suggested this to save SVC on printing costs for modules he thinks might not have a huge sell out. I am only attempting to find ways for ADB to get products out, make money and not have to spend alot in the process. If I need to wait 6 weeks for a product, I will. I have. Waiting isnt the problem here. You need to re-read the original post.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given print on demand (we own our printers and bookbinders, for those who don't know), we don't print copies we cannot sell, so there is no benefit to us to sell PDFs as the primary model.

I'm still liking the idea of "Sell the book" and "Offer the color PDF on a basis of when X many people pay Y dollars, we will start shipping them".

Yes, the vast majority of you guys are extremely honest and extremely loyal. It only takes one idiot, one thief, one pink fluffy bunny to ruin the party for all of us.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pneumonic81 wrote:
Software piracy is definitly a problem. Once something is converted to electronic form its hard to guard where it goes.

However one thing I have noticed about this community is its undying support of the products and thier creators. I highly doubt anyone here would buy a pdf based product and then give it out. The people who play these games like them too much to cheat like that.

With all respect that's a naive outlook on the player base. SFB or FC gamers are just regular people like other gamers, and other gamers definitely upload their PDFs to torrents and the like. It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. Just because a company is not a huge powerhouse like GW doesn't make its players any more honest, or any less human. I heard some statistic once that out of 10 people, 2-3 people will never steal, 3 people will always steal and the rest won't normally steal but will if they get the chance. I know through gamer friends of mine that there are illegal copies of Battletech products online (not a very large company) as well as Dream Pod 9 Products (rather small company). It would be the same for any SFU products I can guarantee, if it's not already (people do have things called scanners).
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Given print on demand (we own our printers and bookbinders, for those who don't know), we don't print copies we cannot sell, so there is no benefit to us to sell PDFs as the primary model.

I'm still liking the idea of "Sell the book" and "Offer the color PDF on a basis of when X many people pay Y dollars, we will start shipping them".

Yes, the vast majority of you guys are extremely honest and extremely loyal. It only takes one idiot, one thief, one pink fluffy bunny to ruin the party for all of us.

I'd be up for that.
Carthaginian
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pneumonic81 wrote:
Waiting isnt the problem here. You need to re-read the original post.

I was also saying that waiting wasn't a problem... that was the only reason I mentioned time. I was saying I would rather wait 3-4 days for a product than to have ADB loose one red cent to pirates. After all, everyone that's played SFB knows how much fun it is to be attacked by pirates.

To get a color PDF of a B&W product so I could print out my own color copies of things like FC ship cards... well, that would be awesome.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To get a color PDF of a B&W product so I could print out my own color copies of things like FC ship cards... well, that would be awesome.

I am all for that!
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to say, there are SFB and Federation Commander thieves out there already. Speaking as one who has found their sites, reported them, helped mourn over the fact that certain use groups posted our books on a regular basis, I know for a fact that people do steal our products.

At least the thieves had to work to scan the book and the scans are not always the best. Giving them crystal clear PDFs to post and send out seems akin to leaving the barn door unlocked when the horse thieves are active. Crying or Very sad
Archduke Russell John I
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand SVC's postion on PDF's, I can honestly say that I have purchased at least 5 products because I found pirated SFB material. Of the 5 things purchased, only 1 was something I would have purchased anyway.

I have also purchased something like 20+ different novels because I was able to read 3 online at Baen's website as part of its free library.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand and respect that most people are honest, that does not change the devastating economic impact of the few who are not.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
While I understand and respect that most people are honest, that does not change the devastating economic impact of the few who are not.

people need to be paid for thier work, so however that ends up looking to ADB I am cool with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: