Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle Years idea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the minimum print run is 1,000 and we've never sold that many anythings by mail order.

In theory, you could say "we know somebody will upload the PDF file, but if we sell 200 copies of it for $50 each we won't really care" and wait for 200 orders and Email them out.

but you could never say "We will print 1,000 cards when we have sold 500 cards" and expect to see anything happen.

Remember that a set of cards is 16 (for $24) and these products are looking at 48-60 cards.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Again, in my view, it's better to show what the Romulans were obliged to work with - and if you don't intend to make them stick with sublight ships (which could work using the rules printed in the Return of the Hood scenario, as I referred to earlier) they should at least have something to highlight that in this time, they were obliged to do things a little differently than their neighbours.

Gary,

I know all about the sublight movement rules. I worked them out with Steve and am the one who asked for the ability to accelerate past one hex a turn. I think they work as well as they can. I fully intend for them to be used in the Early Years. I just don't see them being used in the Middle Years.

And on the larger issue, I still say that you are completely stuck in the SFU timeline. That is my entire point: this is a "setting" that is broadly based on the Middle Years time period. Sure, there has to be an introduction that says, "This setting takes place a generation before the primary setting of Federation Commander. In that time, the forces available to the various empires were not nearly as developed and refined as they became during the default wartime setting." That is all that is needed. We don't care how ships developed. We don't care what preceeded what. We don't care what doesn't "fully" fit, but works. We just care about what works and what is fun.

And the Romulans do have to work differently from their neighbors. Their Eagle ships are slow, and most of their KR ships are lightly armed. That is pretty hard right there. Why worry about ships that are both lightly armed AND slow? It is not like the those treaty ships were even remotely relevant in the SFU timeline anyway.

(The writeup for the KD4 pretty much says they were introduced concurrent with the KRs, only served as training ships, were almost immediately transfered to the Houses, didn't even serve as local defense, were only used for House conflicts, and were only used as intimidation and didn't even fight! They aren't even relevant ships in SFB! Why waste the pages to show them in Federation Commander?)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
I don't see any reason that this would not fit into the Briefing format of 64 pages.

Given that, about how many ships would that mean?

Also, would the ships be done back-to-back in large scale (like with Briefing #1), or done side-by-side? If they are done side-by-side, then there would be different ships back-to-back, which means that they would have to be photocopied to be used. (Which isn't necessarily a deal-breaker.) Personally, I perfer side-by-side, as that doubles the number of ships that are possible. Smile

Let's see ... Assuming one page for introduction, background, and rules notes (e.g. drones); about half a dozen for ship descriptions; another half-dozen for scenarios. That would leave almost forty pages for ships. If the ships are done back-to-back large scale, that means 20 ships. Doing side-by-side gives 40.

Considering that the initial list I gave is about 60 long (ignoring the hellbore ships), that means some significant cuts ... What should go?

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since the door to additional briefings has been opened, I'll move the requests for the KD4 and KF4 elsewhere - I suppose of there is an L-era module to be done someday, the Romulans may as well have some ships to go in it...

...but the LD5 is a true Middle Years ship, and deserves a place here. (Perhaps along with a new KL5 Kestrel variant, too?)
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its entirley reasonable to get lesser products thru a single breifing sized book. I use breifing #1 for all kinds of things, its a very handybook. One with all new rules, scenarios and ships would be awsome.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
...but the LD5 is a true Middle Years ship, and deserves a place here. (Perhaps along with a new KL5 Kestrel variant, too?)

Depending on the SSD breakdown, doing the LD5 (and Fed DDM) are definitely possible. Both ships give some good Point Value break points that would otherwise be missing in their fleets.

I doubt we need a kestral version. If I am going to ask for brand spanking new Kestrals, I am starting with the K6R, not the KR-LD5. The Romulans don't need it anyway, as they already have the WE and BH.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick answers (now that Archduke showed me the secret, it's easier to get in here)....

I would do them in 7.5 inch side by side. I'm smart enough to put two squadron-scale ships on one side and two fleet-scale ships on the other side of one sheet of paper.

No Franz Joseph DD or DN can be in this product. Due to licensing issues, Franz Joseph ships (and, in this legal sense, the CA with or without refits is not one of those) must all be in one product. You can ask nicely if I'll put them into Booster #91, which is currently scheduled to have the unrefitted CA, unrefitted DN, destroyer (with and without refits), scout, and tug, total of eight cards, so the other two could either be with/without versions of the scout-tug or they could be DDG and DDL.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick answers (now that Archduke showed me the secret, it's easier to get in here)....

I would do them in 7.5 inch side by side. I'm smart enough to put two squadron-scale ships on one side and two fleet-scale ships on the other side of one sheet of paper.

No Franz Joseph DD or DN in this product. Due to licensing issues, Franz Joseph ships (and, in this legal sense, the CA with or without refits is not one of those) is not a Franz Joseph ship.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it might be an idea to eventually set up a new sub-board, where a thread each covering the various settings/ship types that people may wish to pursue could be posted, without tripping over the rest of GD?

(And if the DDM is being spun out to another product, maybe room for that KL5 could be found after all... assuming room is still available after the K6R, that is.)
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
No Franz Joseph DD or DN can be in this product.

OK, so the Feds lose the DN. Oh well, we can work on a replacement, I guess.

Anyway, would the DDM count as a FJD design? If not, then I would like the use the DDM instead of the DD, anyway. The reason is because the DD and CL have almost identical Point Values. By using the DDM instead of the DD, we get a much nicer Point Value spread going CL-DDM-FF.

I don't know what comparable ship to use instead of the DN would be, though.

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
(And if the DDM is being spun out to another product, maybe room for that KL5 could be found after all... assuming room is still available after the K6R, that is.)

Well, two things to keep in mind.

1) I hope that we can use the DDM in place of the DD. That would be perfect.

2) Even if the DD is struck, and the DDM is not an option, that doesn't mean that anything for the Romulans. It would most likely be replaced by a different Fed ship.

3) If the K6R (which is pretty tenuous anyway) is not used, I would expect its replacement to be the WVL, not an even more tenuous ship that has even less reason to exist. The Romulans would need a dreadnought, not a really bad light cruiser.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe leave the Feds be (while directing people to the FJ module - which will be all Fed, anyway, what more do they want?) and use that space to fit in a few of the early TL12 ISC ships?

(None of them have PPDs or rear-firing plasma, and it's not that far until War and Peace - hopefully - and we've had a few put in CL already.)

The (un-refitted) CAT and DNE could be options, for example.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a list of ISC ships, but didn't include them in the above because they don't exist in Federation Commander yet, and have no counters.

The list I was working from was this one:
ISC: DNE, CC, CA, CL, DD, FF

All ships are pre-refit with no flanking weapons (Pl-F or Ph-3), and Pl-G in place of any PPD or Pl-S.

Quite frankly, if I am picking only two, the DNE is not one of them. Most likely I go with the CA and DD.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
I have a list of ISC ships, but didn't include them in the above because they don't exist in Federation Commander yet, and have no counters.

Well, if W&P is released by the time this module is done, they will - plus they are in Module H1 (which is marketed as a FC module, as well as an SFB one).

Quote:
The list I was working from was this one:
ISC: DNE, CC, CA, CL, DD, FF

All ships are pre-refit with no flanking weapons (Pl-F or Ph-3), and Pl-G in place of any PPD or Pl-S.

Minor clarification - I think the torp-CA would be the CAT.

Quote:
Quite frankly, if I am picking only two, the DNE is not one of them. Most likely I go with the CA and DD.

In that case, I'll hope you'll have enough room for more than 2 ISC ships - if you are to be down one early DN, why not let the Concordium take up the reins left slack by the Federation?
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these Middle Era ship cards are released in a product similar to a Briefing, and if they are printed in black&white, could said Briefing contain a code so that a buyer could send the code to ADB and request a .pdf of all the ships in that Briefing in color? The code would be the same in all copies. It would merely alert ADB that the individual had purchased the Briefing and would be entitled to the color copies to print on their own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: