Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duel: Fed FF vs. Lyran DD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
Mike wrote:
And this is an example of the point system that is now in use in FedComm. How can one player using one of two evenly matched ships get a "draw" when he is totally destroyed?

Yep. I thought that too. IIRC, aren't they design team working on it?

Well, yes and no.

There was a topic posted on it on the Legacy BBS, but the topic has languished due to inactivity for quite a while. (I think I did one on this Forum, too, but if so it was even less active.) Quite frankly, I now think that no one actually uses the Victory System. Instead they just go with "who blows up last" or something like that.

I still think it needs at least a partial fix (by adjusting the targets for Tactical and above) or a complete overhaul (by comparing opposing points scored a la the SFB system). But no one seems to actually care.

As for the "Draw" result, that is only half of the story. Think of it this way: Each player is rated as to what the best rating they could qualify for. You still have to compare the ratings each player qualifies for to see who actually wins the scenario.

Let's take an example. We have two equally matched ships. Ship A scores internal damage on Ship B, but is itself crippled. Using the scoring system, Ship A qualifies for a Draw, but Ship B qualifies for a Marginal Victory. Since Ship B qualifies for the higher level of victory, Ship B wins the scenario.

But note that this is not saying that Ship A actually achieved a Draw. It simply says that the best that Ship A could attain was a Draw. Since Ship A's opponent qualified for a higher level of victory, Ship A loses the scenario.

Granted, that is not how the rule is written, but if it helps process the idea of its implementation, try looking at it this way ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: