Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omega sector take II
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Omega sector take II Reply with quote

Since the old thread unfortunetly seems to have gone the way of the dodo and after fianlly getting Omega 1+2 (3 will be arriving soon), I really like what Omega has to offer, I've decided to start a new thread for those who are intrested in some Omega conversion notes.

So since I only have 1+2 it limits me to the easier races (It seems most of the more complex races are in the later modules.)

At the moment these are rough notes and ideas. Please feel free to critize, contribute and otherwise abuse these as needed. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Up the Maesron Alliance (out of intrest is their a way to type the odd ae thing in the forum?)

Background then for those who are intrested.
The Maesron Alliance is a alliance between three races (The Humaniod Talzo (Scientists and Thinkers), the bat like Wallimi (Explorers) and the Lupine Vulpa (Aggresive and Cruel). After some early clashes these three form the Maesron Alliance and quickly become the most powerful player in the early Cycles of Omegan history.

Tech:

Heres the nity grity of rules needed.

1) Wide Angle phasers.

The easiest I think to transfer to Fedcomm. They follow the same rules as normal phasers but use a unique damage table. The table is easy to port across and the only change that I think is needed to the PW-1 Table is to drop the last range bracket (25-36) and increase the 13-24 bracket to 13-25. The PW-3 can stay as is.

2)Tachyon Gun

The main Maesron Heavy weapon

Another pretty easier weapon to transfer across, it has no real special rules. The only change I think is needed is dropping the last bracket down to 25.

For Energy allocation I am leaning towards only allowing power to be applied during the energy allocation phase. (would this be to constraining? should more energy be able to be added at the moment of firing?)

3)Tachyon Missile

This is the complex one to my mind, the big thing about TM's is that they are very customizable having lots of options as to how you want your own missile (Everything from speed to ECCM or counter tractor beams is available)

I have been thinking of two options how to handle them.

A) Is to make a standard missile and leave it at that. (Something along the lines of Speed-24, Endurance 3, Armour 2, and a 16 point warhead.)

B) the other is to make some very simple custom build rules. For this I was thinking of keeping speed set (For arguments sake lets say Speed-24). Then allowing the player to split points between Endurance, Armour and warhead.

Endurance is number of turns the Missile stays active for
Armour works as starship armour giving the drone more durability
Warhead is multiplied by ten for warhead strength.

Eg. (lets say there are six points to split, with at least 1 point must be allocated to Endurance and Warhead.) The basic model this time would be 2/2/2. Which be Endurance 2, armour 2 and warhead 2.

The above missile can run for two turns, takes 6 points to destroy and does 20 damage when it hits.

So thats my thoughts so far, anyone see glaring flaws? have a better idea for TM's? Think I should give up now before I dig my self a hole?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nerroth
Captain


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 1575
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happens, I had hoped to launch into the Omega Octant for FC once (or if) I ever get the Magellanics ready - I wanted to see whether or not I could actually get one setting done before moving on - but I'd consider introducing Omega in a slightly different way.


I'd make the first module's focus be on the Federal Republic of Aurora, and the various powers and factions that the Aurorans encountered as the Republic took form.

Given that they have several 'TV species' in the Federal Republic (Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, Klingons etc) and other Alpha Octant blow-ins (like the ISC colonists on PX 123) it would be an ideal means of introducing this distant region of the Milky Way to a new audience, in my view.


So, I'd start with the FRA, the Mæsron Alliance (as mentioned above), the Iridani Questers (one could assume the Iridani made a few friendly calls into Aurora - and an Iridani Crusade fleet did save the FRA from a massive Andromedan assault in 2600) the Bolosco Merchants' Association (the trade-ready and outgoing Bolosco were quick to make contact with the Aurorans, and had long traded with many other Omega powers) and the Trobrin Empire (who wished to pursue their 'Silicon Destiny' of galactic conquest, and fought the Auroran Navy in a number of engagements in 2549).


That would give a good selection of ships which could fill out a module.

Plus, not only do the Iridani have Man-O-War Battleships which could be given a double-sized card, there is a Mæsron Battleship in Stellar Shadows that could also be introduced to FC! (According to the R-section for the Mæsron BB, they scrapped the WIP ship a few years before they, ironiclly, developed the kind of better engines they could have used to finish the ship properly. Maybe in the FC take on things, they were more patient, and got the ship into service?)



Going forward, I'd strongly recommend introducing additional Omega powers in modules which highlight their largest rivalries - so, for example, I'd place the Loriyill, Singers and Souldra in the same release, and do something similar for the Hivers, Alunda and Branthodons, or the Drex, Ymatrians and Worb, and so on and so forth.


How is that?
_________________
FC Omega Discussion (v3)
FC LMC Discussion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 16 Jul 2007
Posts: 209
Location: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me.

When the time comes I can always redo the Souldra stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 16 Jul 2007
Posts: 209
Location: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrFaustus wrote:
First Up the Maesron Alliance (out of intrest is their a way to type the odd ae thing in the forum?)

Background then for those who are intrested.
The Maesron Alliance is a alliance between three races (The Humaniod Talzo (Scientists and Thinkers), the bat like Wallimi (Explorers) and the Lupine Vulpa (Aggresive and Cruel). After some early clashes these three form the Maesron Alliance and quickly become the most powerful player in the early Cycles of Omegan history.

Tech:

Heres the nity grity of rules needed.

1) Wide Angle phasers.

The easiest I think to transfer to Fedcomm. They follow the same rules as normal phasers but use a unique damage table. The table is easy to port across and the only change that I think is needed to the PW-1 Table is to drop the last range bracket (25-36) and increase the 13-24 bracket to 13-25. The PW-3 can stay as is.


Sounds pretty workable.

Quote:
2)Tachyon Gun

The main Maesron Heavy weapon

Another pretty easier weapon to transfer across, it has no real special rules. The only change I think is needed is dropping the last bracket down to 25.

For Energy allocation I am leaning towards only allowing power to be applied during the energy allocation phase. (would this be to constraining? should more energy be able to be added at the moment of firing?)


Off hand I'd say just let the arming be completed at the moment of firing. I'll have to look at things in more detail later tonight though.

Quote:
3)Tachyon Missile

This is the complex one to my mind, the big thing about TM's is that they are very customizable having lots of options as to how you want your own missile (Everything from speed to ECCM or counter tractor beams is available)

I have been thinking of two options how to handle them.

A) Is to make a standard missile and leave it at that. (Something along the lines of Speed-24, Endurance 3, Armour 2, and a 16 point warhead.)

B) the other is to make some very simple custom build rules. For this I was thinking of keeping speed set (For arguments sake lets say Speed-24). Then allowing the player to split points between Endurance, Armour and warhead.

Endurance is number of turns the Missile stays active for
Armour works as starship armour giving the drone more durability
Warhead is multiplied by ten for warhead strength.

Eg. (lets say there are six points to split, with at least 1 point must be allocated to Endurance and Warhead.) The basic model this time would be 2/2/2. Which be Endurance 2, armour 2 and warhead 2.

The above missile can run for two turns, takes 6 points to destroy and does 20 damage when it hits.


I'll have to re-read the rules for these monsters. If there is anything in Omega that goes against the 'Keep it simple' concept of FC its these.

Quote:
So thats my thoughts so far, anyone see glaring flaws? have a better idea for TM's? Think I should give up now before I dig my self a hole?


Nothing stands out right now. I may have some other ideas for the TMs when I get a re-read done, but for now that sounds pretty good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Magnum357
Lieutenant SG


Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 182

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the Omega Sector stuff (never got the SFB material on it), I think I would be more interested in an Early Years module more, but I have read a little bit of the Omega material that did strike some interest for me.

Your suggests so far seem pretty easy to convert, but I'm little worried about those Tachyon Missiles. I feel that the Drone rules are already at there limit for complexity, these Tachyon missiles seem to make them even more complicated. I would suggest trying to find some ways to streamline them in FC yet keep there unique quilities. That might be difficult in my opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 275
Location: Austin TX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the omega sector expansions but I have to be honest, I dont know much about them. However, our group is all about variety, we have alot of players to gobble down content so the more the merrier, and these guys look like fun!
_________________
http://www.rickknox3d.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nerroth
Captain


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 1575
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my part, I'd stick with just the one missile design (though perhaps have the speed change depending on the era, in the same way that Alpha drones do) - there are just too many messy options which aren't really needed in FC.
_________________
FC Omega Discussion (v3)
FC LMC Discussion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit I personally lean more towards one design becasue FC favours the KISS method when possible.

But a little bit of me wants to imagine my foes face when I get him with a 40 damage drone Shocked.

Will have to think about the drone to go with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 275
Location: Austin TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always premake a couple drone types. Common setups that people might chose. say, 3 designs. Make them part of the actual rules. Players have to announce the drone type they are going with, and you cant mix them.

That would keep it simple in the rules and simple on the board. It would also retain the "flavor" of the weapon system without making it super complex. People would decide rather quickly which type to go with. Kinda like picking fighters or whatever.
_________________
http://www.rickknox3d.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 16 Jul 2007
Posts: 209
Location: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3)Tachyon Missile

This is the complex one to my mind, the big thing about TM's is that they are very customizable having lots of options as to how you want your own missile (Everything from speed to ECCM or counter tractor beams is available)

I have been thinking of two options how to handle them.

A) Is to make a standard missile and leave it at that. (Something along the lines of Speed-24, Endurance 3, Armour 2, and a 16 point warhead.)

B) the other is to make some very simple custom build rules. For this I was thinking of keeping speed set (For arguments sake lets say Speed-24). Then allowing the player to split points between Endurance, Armour and warhead.

Endurance is number of turns the Missile stays active for
Armour works as starship armour giving the drone more durability
Warhead is multiplied by ten for warhead strength.

Eg. (lets say there are six points to split, with at least 1 point must be allocated to Endurance and Warhead.) The basic model this time would be 2/2/2. Which be Endurance 2, armour 2 and warhead 2.

The above missile can run for two turns, takes 6 points to destroy and does 20 damage when it hits.


I would like to keep as much of th customization ability as possible as it is part of the very unique flavor of the weapon.

Going from your idea I would say use the most advanced time period from the SFB rules (Y188+, 12 spaces. Maybe reduce to 10 since some options will be removed.).

Basic Construction

Propulsion.
Speed 8 = 1
Speed 16 = 2
Speed 24 = 4
Speed 32 = 6

Endurance
1 space per turn.

Armor
1 space per 3 points

Warhead
1 space per 10 points

EW Pods
Deleted (No EW in FC)

Phasers
Deleted (Too complicated)

Negative Tractor
Deleted (Potentially too powerful given the reduced anti-drone capabilities in FC)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 275
Location: Austin TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm... anti drone capabilities are not reduced in FC. IMHO killing drones is much simpler in FC then in SFB.
_________________
http://www.rickknox3d.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 16 Jul 2007
Posts: 209
Location: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pneumonic81 wrote:
umm... anti drone capabilities are not reduced in FC. IMHO killing drones is much simpler in FC then in SFB.


There are fewer options for killing drones though. No t-bombs being probably the biggest one.

It is simpler in that every drone is fully identified and known on launch, mostly because there is only one kind of drone.

Allowing the TM to be much more flexible in design shouldn't be too powerful in the Omega Sector given the relative scarcity of drones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 275
Location: Austin TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKeith2011 wrote:
pneumonic81 wrote:
umm... anti drone capabilities are not reduced in FC. IMHO killing drones is much simpler in FC then in SFB.


There are fewer options for killing drones though. No t-bombs being probably the biggest one.

It is simpler in that every drone is fully identified and known on launch, mostly because there is only one kind of drone.

Allowing the TM to be much more flexible in design shouldn't be too powerful in the Omega Sector given the relative scarcity of drones.


In SFB u never know when you will get a chance to fire the ADD or phasers. Ideally it would be good to fire the ADD at range 3. but that doesnt happen often. especially with fast drones. not to mention when they get to range zero, you have been hit.

In Fedcom the dd alwasy gets the max chance, you also get a gaurenteed range zero shot, and then, if that doesnt work, u can still use the tractor. drones are not nearly as effective in fecom as they are in sfb.
_________________
http://www.rickknox3d.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paul B
Lieutenant SG


Joined: 27 Dec 2006
Posts: 189

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pneumonic81 wrote:

In Fedcom the dd alwasy gets the max chance, you also get a gaurenteed range zero shot, and then, if that doesnt work, u can still use the tractor. drones are not nearly as effective in fecom as they are in sfb.


It depends what you define as "effective". If by effective you mean drones kill ships, then maybe not. I used to complain when I first started playing that my drones never hit, even when playing Kzintis, because they'd always just get shot down. Then someone explained to me that when you launch drones, you shouldn't expect them to hit anyway, they're just to tie up enemy phaser fire and make them waste energy. And for that, they are effective.

That being said, I've shattered the backs of more than one ship with drones. One of my favourite moments with drones, I was playing Klingons and had fired most or all of my phasers and disruptors. The Fed player was closing on my side with a CA with 3 overloaded photons and a downed forward shield. I asked him how much power he had left, he had none, so I launched 2-4 drones from my two D6s. His ship broke hard to starboard and ended up taking a few of the drones on one of his rear shields. Did it kill him? No. But it was sure effective at saving my butt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group