Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Low-Energy Turn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikePowers
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, the rulebook itself points out that cancelling a move adds to your Turn Mode, and that you can turn on the same sub-pulse where you cancel a move. My only addition was to recognize that a ship could Accelerate and Decelerate during the same Impulse, and that a ship at Baseline Speed Zero could use this to turn.
texastwister
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend who hosts our games was really resistant to this rule interpretation. I think I have him persuaded, but he raised an objection that touches on a different rule:

When I tried to use this maneuver I was sitting in a dust cloud for a little protection from the overloaded photons of an approaching Fed ship. I know that each time I move into a dust hex I take front-shield damage. But not when sitting still, right? So how would that apply to the "low-energy turn"? Would I still be exempt from the need to take shield damage?

It wouldn't have mattered greatly in this case because my shields were in good shape and one point wouldn't have hurt -- but he seemed to think it was a big deal.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering that the (6B2) rules specifically use the phrase "for every asteroid hex entered," I have to say that cancelled moves do not cause damage. You must have the ship actually enter an asteroid hex to get the damage; staying in the hex does not cause damage.

Also, note that if you are moving base speed 0, even moving into a dust cloud hex won't cause any damage.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I clarify one more thing - what happens if this is the first low-energy turn the ship has tried?

My thought is, I'm in the hex, Speed Zero - I buy an accel point and then cancel it in subpulse 4. Turn mode of 1 is now satisfied - but surely I can't actually turn the ship until the next impulse? I'd have to expend another movement point [which would either take me out of the hex, or, if I cancel it, keep me in there] before I could actually turn the ship.

Or does the movement point I expended to get the ship into the hex in the first place count as the one hex to satisfy the turn mode - in which case I can do as Mike says and turn the ship THEN cancel the movement point - which will then satisfy my turn mode again ready for the next low-energy turn.

Does that sound right?

And has anyone started calling this move an LET yet - or does it come under the general Fed Commander 'abbreviations ban' - just kidding..... Wink
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
My thought is, I'm in the hex, Speed Zero - I buy an accel point and then cancel it in subpulse 4. Turn mode of 1 is now satisfied - but surely I can't actually turn the ship until the next impulse?
If you hadn't "moved" any hexes before your first Acceleration, then yes, you would have to do one Accel/Decel before you could turn.

This is related to why seeking weapons must move straight ahead as their very first move; while they are Turn Mode 1, they haven't "moved" any hexes when first launched.

Quote:
And has anyone started calling this move an LET yet - or does it come under the general Fed Commander 'abbreviations ban' - just kidding..... Wink
I think that they called it something else when they published it in Captain's Log.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear. Thanks!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: