Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(5S2a) GUIDING SEEKING WEAPONS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HowieTallGuy
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: (5S2a) GUIDING SEEKING WEAPONS Reply with quote

I realize that the special sensor rules (5S) in comminque #28 (http://www.starfleetgames.com/fccc/resources.php?action=download&id=41) are experimental; I have not tried them yet myself (I'm familiar with them in SFB). In reading them, I am curious about (5S2a). Is the controling of another six additional seeking weapons restricted to weapons launched by the ship with the special sensor itself, or can it control seeking weapons launched by a seperate friendly ship or ships? I assume that it implies controling friendly ships seeking weapons as the scout ships seem to have very few seeking weapons themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others will probably answer this better than me but having seen this question a couple time the answers usually is Drone Control can not be passed in FedCom so the only way a scout can take advatage of this is if it launched all 12 drones itself. This would seem to limit this use currently to Bases.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal is correct. When this rule hit the play testers, I asked SVC that very same question..
"Does this indicate that there will be a possibility for transfer of drone control in Fed Comm? Even if it's only transferring control to scouts with active sensors?"
Steve's response was much like Dal's - "Only drones from the ship with the special sensors can be controlled by that sensor channel."
That pretty much limits it to bases and the occasional Drone Bombardment ship that may be able to exceed it's control limits w/o the use of a special sensor.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if the scout can control 12 drones, the scout channel allows it to control 18 drones.

I think the Kzintis are the only race that can really take advantage of this (besides bases and drone bombardment ships)

gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNordeen wrote:
Also, if the scout can control 12 drones, the scout channel allows it to control 18 drones.

I think the Kzintis are the only race that can really take advantage of this (besides bases and drone bombardment ships)

Actually, that is not correct. 5S2a mentions that "Ships with an inherent ability to control 12 seeking weapons cannot use this function at all." I agree that it does kind of make this ability not very useful.

Garrett
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Missed that one. No harm, I haven't found a scout able to launch that many drones anyway.

junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E7D, found in Captains Log #35, has special sensors and six drone racks which means that in two turns it can get 12 drones into flight.

But it has double drone control (which is standard for drone bombardment ships such as this one).

Of course, the Fleet Scale version of this ship doesn't mention that the ship has double drone control and can have up to 9 drones in flight in three turns. But this is most likely an oversight since my understanding is that ships don't generally lose the double drone control capability when switching between scales.
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 5S2a doesn't supercede 4F2e (which it doesn't seem to do), then it's not going to apply or do a ship with special sensors but no drone racks any good.

Guess we'll just have to wait for that SCG to come out. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: