Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snap Count
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, it used to be that if you posted an image from any Star Trek episode, you were forced to take it off your site. It did create a lot of negative publicity for Paramount. Paramount also tried to shut down a lot of the ... ummm ... well, the more sexually explicit fanzines and the fanzines with a gay slant on the relationships between the characters. This effort met with varying rates of success.

We don't know what agreements the fan film people may have. If, for example, Paramount gets X percent of the proceeds and the filmmakers give the episodes away, then no money exchanges hands and all could be well.

Parodies are protected by law, so most filk is fine.

My personal guess, and it is a guess, is that Paramount is only going after clearcut cases where there is a profit being made. This choice is probably due to the proliferation of websites. Paramount can collect damages for sites making money from their IP.

Think of it this way--it is illegal to go 56 mph in a 55 mph zone. If you do something else illegal, the police will probably toss speeding in on top of the pile. However, they focus on folks going 65 mph or faster in a 55 mph zone. It doesn't mean that going 56 mph in the 55 mph zone is not breaking the law. It just means there are so many worse offenders out there that need to be caught first the police don't have time to deal with petty speeders.

Does that help explain things?
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some feedback on my TIMELINES story last week. The person asked if I got my inspiration was from IN HARM'S WAY or OF GODS AND MEN fan-fic films. No, I did not. I wrote TIMELINES while deployed to Pakistan back in 2004. The story was cooking in the back of my brain for at least six months prior to putting the first words on a screen. I had not heard of the New Voyages project (now called "Star Trek - Phase II", by the way) until well after I got back to the States, and OF GODS AND MEN just came out this past year. I was finally able to watch it last night; it would never play on my computer before, but I recently reloaded it with a new hard drive. Yes, I just happened to use the same basic plot device as they did. But come on, it's not like it's never been used in Trek or other sci-fi before!

By the way, if you haven't watched OF GODS AND MEN yet, I recommend you do so next time you have 90 minutes to spare. They did a pretty good job with it, all in all. In fact, I just might have to have a Fed CA painted up like theirs.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A

Last edited by Sgt_G on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:08 am; edited 3 times in total
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I read your story Garth, but I do recall enjoying it.
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great one. And I love the descriptions of the characters. You know who they're supposed to be, they're just not named as such.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garth,

Who knows? Maybe they "stole" the idea from you!

Wink

Also, for totally clueless among us, exactly where would we find these fanflics?

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike -

I'll make a post in the "Outside the SFU Realm" thread tonight with links to all of them. Maybe it can be made a sticky there, as the question seems to come up a lot (Joe Stevenson just asked what they were on the legacy bbs too).
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starship Exeter: http://homepage.mac.com/starshipexeter/

Starship Farragut: http://starshipfarragut.com/downloads.php

ST: Of Gods and Men: http://startrekofgodsandmen.com/main/

ST: New Voyages (Phase II): http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: