Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What miniatures do you have in the works?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished three each Hydran Lancers and Hunters; once I've finished my next WW2 15mm army, I've got some secondhand Tholians (a D and a pair of DDs) to strip and repaint. Their original owner finished them in gloss white, for some reason...
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the works? Well right now I'm working on a Kzinti, Orion and Klingon Squadron. At the moment they're all just primed, as I've been painting and playing some other games more recently of late. (my main FC opponent being committed to watching BSG until it's done its run)

Not all of my ships are ADB either. I have some FASA-based ones.
For the Klingons I have a pair of D7s, a D10 (battlecruiser type) and two D18s (destroyer type)

For the Orions I have an OK6, 2 Wanderers and 3 Lightning Blockade Runners.

And for the Kzinti, I have what, 4 Medium Cruisers, a Light Cruiser, two War Destroyers and two Frigates.

I also have some Gorn fleet lying around, of much larger numbers. But I need to re-prime them big time. Maybe when I get some of these finished I'll post 'em up.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished about half of my Battleship box over the last week. Once they're done I'm going to do some Space Marine scouts.

A friend used to be into miniatures but isn't; I'm trying to get him to sell me his old 40k and Battetech stuff cheap.
rockyr
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: two sides, success and failures Reply with quote

I am adding the finishing touched to a federation cruiser squadron and their enemy Klingon battlecrusiers (3 each).

I might share some pictures if I could just insert them rather than psot them elsewhere and connct via html. I have no where to post them that does not require passwords or memberships.

I tried to give both fleets something other than the right-out-of-spacedock look. I have seen some spectacular bright paint jobs, but so many of them looked more like models (yes, I know that's what they are) than "realistic" - can I use that word with sci-fi stuff?

I found that the fed cmd crusier's saucer circles are not cut nearly as deeply on the tops as the bottom, and since I failed horribly at the pen folowed by a white coat (ink and paint bled together, even after the ink dried), I had a hard time getting the definition I sought. I did not want big black rings, so I went with advice I found here and gave it all a wash of grey. I then drybrushed the higher surfaces with white. I found the silver touches useful on the flat saucer, but painted them over on these. The oveer all effect is quite good to the eye.

I like the effect of metalic paints for the warps, plus the Klingon distuptors and engines. Although the red base/orange circle/yellow star pattern for the tips of the fed nacelles came out well (an old "gem" painting techniques from GW), I now would have prefered to use metalics there as well.

The multishadeed grey hulls for the Klingons came out well, although they look too different in the mediocre photos I have - the the eye they appear properly shaded.

I also like the ballast painted black that I used to cover the bases. It covers the slot mounting, and adds some texture "space" effect. Maybe I should have lft some flakes unpainted to look like distant starts.

Ever time I see the photos, though I see something else I have to touch up...

Well, they are better looking than "arm's distance" paint jobs, and they look very good at that distance.

R
________
LIST OF PENNY STOCKS

Last edited by rockyr on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of "free" picture hosting sites: Flickr and photobucket are two I can think of off hand. They do require you sign up but that's what a throw away e-mail address/login is for.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had much to show lately, but here's an in-progress thing of my latest project:

"Donor" Fed NCL mini kindly provided by Tony Thomas (scoutdad).

Last edited by djdood on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... but other than me, how many people know what those engines are destined to become Question Question Question

Dood! You post is sadly lacking in information Wink - although I am going to PM you with some photography related queries.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not my place to talk about what it is yet - but I can show vague pictures to my heart's content Smile
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The giant saw of Doom! How will the Federation survive it's relentless attack?!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

"Structural-integrity failing Captain! She can't take much more of this!"
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: In the works Reply with quote

I'm beginning to make plans to scratcbuild some minis for a race of my own design... the Borak. Some top-down graphics of the basic ships:

http://jgray-sfb.com/Borak/borakmini.html
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool Jeremy.

I can't help but notice the resemblance to the "Deck Fighters" from "The Last Starfighter". Intentional homage?

If so, I have color counters from the old FASA game I could gift you as stand-ins until your minis are done.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an intentional homage, but its been mentioned before. Having seen the show as a kid, I'd be lying if I said it had no impact. Another ship that had some influence:

The Yehat from old game Star Control: http://members.tripod.com/zenzmurfy/starcontrol/yehat/zz_yehat_ship.JPG

But the main thing was the desire to have a ship that could showcase both the Megaphaser from P6 and the Phaser Cannon I designed back when I was in high school.

I just played an SFB game against Dale McKee last night with a Borak CA going up against a Lyran CA. The Borak pulled it out in a close one. On another night, the Lyran wins. I'm starting to toy with the Borak again after a long time with them collecting dust.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll, if it's winning roughly 50% of the time, when played by two long-time players like you guys, then you must have a pretty solid design. Has it passed a "test the dumb strategies" test yet (i.e. let a tactical-moron like me try to win with it)?
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SWO those Ships look really cool would love to see some minis Very Happy Also thanks for sharing the butchery of a fed NCL Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: