Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plasma D's and Defensive Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fusilier
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Plasma D's and Defensive Mode Reply with quote

The Impulse Procedure chart on the back of Reference Card 2 (Romulan Border) lists "Plasma Racks Fire" as the third stage of the Defensive Fire phase.

However, the Plasma-D rules in Romulan Attack seem to say that they cannot fire in defensive mode, although the first section 'Modes' (I think) seems confused and confusing.

Was there a beta-rule to have Plasma-D's fire in defensive mode that was revoked?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The note on the player reference card is just an error.

However, I do want to confirm that Pl-D torpedoes may definitely NOT be used during the Defensive Fire Phase. They may ONLY be used during the Launch Phase (in seeking mode).

Also, don't confuse the "defensive mode" of Pl-D torpedoes and the "Defensive Fire Phase". Pl-D torpedoes may of course be used in "defensive mode" to fire multiple torpedoes at drones (et. al.) within a single turn. However, they may not be fired in the Defensive Fire Phase.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Fusilier
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was probably the case, but I could have missed something...

Thanks for clearing that up.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I please reopen this thread to clarify the difference between Defensive Mode and Offensive Mode.

I have checked the CRUL and it does not appear to be clarified in there.

In Romulan Attack, Rule (4J5c) says that "a given...rack may (in defensive mode) launch only one torpedo per turn against [larger targets] but can launch one torpedo per impulse against smaller targets".

Then it says that if it launches against a ship (Offensive Mode), to mark the weapons track ... etc.

Does that mean that any launch against a ship is automatically Offensive Mode, in which case why can we apparently launch against a ship in Defensive Mode as in the first paragraph above? Or is it a misprint?

The way I interpreted it was that the rack may be fired in only one of the two modes in each turn; use of one mode precludes the use of the other for the rest of that turn. A launch against a ship or base is Offensive mode, a launch against a smaller unit [including a shuttle that is NOT a seeking weapon, because targets look to be differentiated on size rather than function] is Defensive. Does that sound right?

The difference looks to be important, as it seems to require Offensive Mode in order to be bolted.

On that note, then, can I bolt a Plas-D against a small target in Offensive Mode if I want, but that would lock the launcher into Offensive mode and count as the one launch for the turn?
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule needs to be reworded. It should probably look more like this:

"A given plasma-D rack may (in offensive mode) launch only one torpedo per turn against a "ship" or "base", but (in defensive mode) can launch one torpedo per impulse against smaller targets (drones, shuttles, fighters). If the rack is used against a small target (defensive mode), it cannot target a "ship" (offensive mode) that turn and vice versa."

Sorry for not catching that. Sad

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Sorry for not catching that. Sad

No prob. You know we always appreciate your hard work anyway. Thanks for the clarification!

btw - my usual nag - should this go in the CRUL/new rulebook? We need to make sure that the CRUL keeps being a 'living document' but it hasn't been updated since October Smile
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the CRUL has not been updated for a while, but that is because Steve has been so busy with all of these other issues.

But, yes, all of the items like this are being collected for inclusion in the Rev5 Rulebook.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: