Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESGs and hellbores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: ESGs and hellbores Reply with quote

An ESG used in anti-hellbore mode causes the HB to hit automatically. When using an ESG in anti-hb mode, do I declare something like "OK, I will use 5 points of power in ESG Z vs your hellbore A" and then hb A only hits automatically; or do I simply declare that I'm using ESGs in anti-HB mode, and then all HBs in the volley hit automatically and the ESG damage is subtracted from the HB damage?
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been answered before and I belive it is the CRUL but can not find it, or the original thread. The answer was as best as I rember. All Hellbores from one ship (and only one ship as each ship resolves it volley independently) count as one volley, aka you can not block just one Hellbore from a single ships volley, it is a all or nothing function of the ESG per ship.

The ESG in Anti Hellbore mode can only be used aginst one ship at a time. When used all Hellbores fired by that ship in that impulse get the auto hit but Hellbores fired from a second or third ship are not effectd by the First ESG. So if there were 3 Ships firing at one ship it would need to use 3 ESG and those 3 would effect all Hellbores fired.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct.

The problem is that the anti-HB mode of the ESG is kinda trapped by the mechanics of FC. So, in order to not create a whole bunch of new rules and exceptions, we just work with the existing framework.

Therefore, an ESG in anti-HB mode may only be used against a single volley. This is part of the normal firing procedure, and so is subject to me-too. So, for example, if a hellbore ship fires a single hellbore at a ship with an ESG, and the ESG ship uses his ESG in anti-hellbore mode, the hellbore ship can fire his remaining hellbores at the ESG ship, all of which will now automatically hit. However, the ESG ship can always increase the energy used in the ESG, or use an additional ESG, in order to mitigate the increased hellbore fire.

But, as Dal points out, this is all volley based. So, in the above example, if another hellbore ship fires at that same ESG ship, the second hellbore ship's fire is not affect by the ESGs used in the first volley. If there are any ESG (or ESG power) left, the ESG ship could do the same procedure all over again with this new volley, but anything spent in that first volley is still spent.

Also, hellbores only gain the auto-hit when an ESG is used in anti-HB mode. If it is used in an offensive or defensive burst, hellbore fire is completely unaffected.

Oh, and this should all be included in the Rev 5 Rulebook.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: