Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battleships
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Battleships Reply with quote

Give me some info on Battleships in the game (Federation and Commander)

Here is the information I'd like (Some of this is acceptable and more is encouraged)

Simpler Questions (And Most Important)

What is the Battleship point value of each race (and the Dreadnoughts point value for comparison

The Kzinti Battle Cruiser has 4 Drones, and The Klingon Dreadnought has 6. Do the Kzinti Battleships have a special rule that they can control more than 6 drones

How much does a single point of movement cost on a Battleship

What role do Battleships play in Star Trek

More Complex Questions

How many Shield boxes are on the front shield of a Battleship

How many internal boxes does a battleship have (And a Dreadnought for reference, any race but specify which and preferably make both the same race)
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy battleships attack I guess. every battleship is differant.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Battleships Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
What is the Battleship point value of each race (and the Dreadnoughts point value for comparison

They all vary, but are all above 300. However, if you go to Commanders' Circle, then go to Resources, you will find a Master Ship Chart that will give you the point values for all battleships and all dreadnoughts.

Quote:
The Kzinti Battle Cruiser has 4 Drones, and The Klingon Dreadnought has 6. Do the Kzinti Battleships have a special rule that they can control more than 6 drones

Yes. All drone using battleships can control 12 drones.

Quote:
How much does a single point of movement cost on a Battleship

Two energy points. Double of what a heavy cruiser requires.

Quote:
What role do Battleships play in Star Trek

Don't know. In the Star Fleet Universe, they play the role of super-flagships.

Quote:
How many Shield boxes are on the front shield of a Battleship

The Fed has 68. I didn't check the rest, but they will be similar.

Quote:
How many internal boxes does a battleship have (And a Dreadnought for reference, any race but specify which and preferably make both the same race)

Have no clue, and am not about to count. It looks like a battleship will have about 20-30% more boxes than a dreadnought.

BTW, the two specific number answers were for squadron scale.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. (The only game I have ever played in Fleet Scale was First Missions so yes Squadron Scale was perferred.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battleships are double a heavy cruiser and 1/3 stronger than a dreadnaught.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battleships must be pretty awesome ships then (Though I haven't gotten there yet, only have Klingon Border) I have a question though, You're Going a Federation Battleship against 2 Federation Heavy Cruisers and it is very important to win. Do you choose the Battleship or the Heavy Cruisers? (Your opponent is equal in skill to you.)
Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
Battleships must be pretty awesome ships then (Though I haven't gotten there yet, only have Klingon Border) I have a question though, You're Going a Federation Battleship against 2 Federation Heavy Cruisers and it is very important to win. Do you choose the Battleship or the Heavy Cruisers? (Your opponent is equal in skill to you.)

That's a hard question, for often it comes down to the style a player plays in addition to how well they play. Overall, the two ships have a slight advantage in firepower together, but are more vulnerable in that one can be concentrated on and thus eliminated. Personally, I would lean toward the two ships, but I prefer battle groups over monster ships.

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is a question of the players "State of Mind". Yes at first look Battleships do appear to be gods among men but they pay for that.

To borrow a quote from another classic literary source... "Looks like a fish, moves like a fish... stears like a cow..."

A Battleship alone going upaginst 3 Cruisers could rapidly find itself being out turned and out maneuvered and constantly having one of the cruiser nipping at its heals so to speak. But, all the Battleship has to do is get one good shot at anyone of the Cruiser and someone is fixing to have a bad day.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 CA's would likely win because of manuverability, but it would be very, very close
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in with my two Quatloos worth:

I agree with Ravenhll and Dal (by the way - nice avatar Dal), I'll take a group over a single Battleship anyday.

At first glance, Battleships appear to be Giants in the Playground, but like most mythological creatures, they have their weaknesses:
As prviously stated they turn poorly, so against a group of two or more smaller ships, the BB is usually outmanuevered.
With a large enough group of smaller ships, you can almost always gurentee that you've got a ship or two facing a weakened shield.
Yes, a full-on hit from a battleship will decimate any ship of crusier class or samller (but if you get a cruiser that close to an undamaged BB, you deserve it! Shocked )
Going up against enough small ships is like herding cats... you just can't keep all of tehm together, eventualy one or two will break away from the pack and those arethe ones you need to worry about.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me has always wanted to test and see if Battleships in the SFU would be as vulnerable to hordes of small craft (with an equal point value), as the massive OGRE cybertanks are in the classic eponymous game (and described in the article "Ogres and the Fuzzy Wuzzy Fallacy" in the The OGRE Book.

This would be more likely to work in SFB (with fighters or gunboats; say for example a Klingon fighter swarm versus a Fed BB), but might work with APT cutters or Police Ships other very cheap small armed craft.

A totally unrealistic match-up, but an interesting "simulator" scenario.
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
It really is a question of the players "State of Mind". Yes at first look Battleships do appear to be gods among men but they pay for that.

To borrow a quote from another classic literary source... "Looks like a fish, moves like a fish... steers like a cow..."

A Battleship alone going up against 3 Cruisers could rapidly find itself being out turned and out maneuvered and constantly having one of the cruiser nipping at its heels so to speak. But, all the Battleship has to do is get one good shot at any one of the Cruiser and someone is fixing to have a bad day.

Years ago I used to play SFB with a guy that always wanted the biggest, baddest ship there is. He kitbashed a Fed BB with a starliner pod for the secondary hull. Several times we played battleship vs. battleship (Fed BB vs. Klingon B10) and just slugged it out.

btw Great avatar, Dal! The Forrest is one of my favorite ships, and I'd thought about making an avatar like that myself (except I was going to use the Third National flag for the background).
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: BB vs 2 CAs Reply with quote

Two CAs have more fire power than 1 BB. They automatically have a better turn mode and offer more total shields to get thru than the BB. Take 2 CAs and watch your shield positioning. Remember to reinforce shields and don't overload photons until the kill shot. Rotate photons (2 per turn fired and only two per turn per ship)!

But have fun...it's going to be different!

Dal, I stood and saluted! We are still here!
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments on the Avatar. Razz I do see where I made one little mistake I need to replace a H with a G. Maybe I can fix that this weekend.

Having grown up in Chimneyville and having ancestors who both served with and also fought aginst General Forrest I thought it was a cool ideal. Laughing As far as the using The Stars and Bars over the more common Battle Standard (Which is on the 2nd and 3rd nation Flags) I thought about it but figure I would just avoid the whole possiablity of someday upsetting someone who has no clue why The War of Northern Aggression was fought. Twisted Evil

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:

As far as the using The Stars and Bars over the more common Battle Standard (Which is on the 2nd and 3rd nation Flags) I thought about it but figure I would just avoid the whole possiablity of someday upsetting someone who has no clue why The War of Northern Aggression was fought. Twisted Evil

My first thought when doing the BGM avatar was to use the Battle Standard, but as with you - I chose to avoid derogatory comments about the War of Northern Aggression and simply went with a variation of the ADB logo overlaid on top of the Tennessee state flag.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: