Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

coverting ship cards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: coverting ship cards Reply with quote

Dear all for a experiment i converted two klingon ships to use photon torpedoes one is a D6/D7 has the two cards are very smillar and the other is the F5 what i want to know what would now be the base points.

By the way what i got rid of is the phaser1s on the front of the ships and i used the photons fronm the battle cruiser i just want to know peoples reaction and this is important can i do it and use them Confused Wink
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight...
You removed the phaser-1s from the boom and replaced them with Photons, all while keeping the Disruptors in the engine mounts?

I don't think the power conduits in the D6/7 class run that way. I think the proper modification is to replace the Disruptors in the engines with Photon Torpedoes.

Last edited by Scoutdad on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
So let me get this straight...
You removed the phaser-1s from the boom and replaced them with Photons, all while keeping the Disruptors in the engine mounts?

I don't think the power conduits in the D6/& class run that way. I think the proper moddification is to replace the Disruptors in the engines with Photon Torpedoes.

He probably put the torpedoes in the boom to better match up with the way that they appeared in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Now as to the ramifications on how the ship will play...

Removing phasers is always dangerous as phasers tend to have the best power to damage ratios in the game. A photon that hits will nearly always do more damage than a phaser-1, but you can fire four phaser-1s for the same amount of energy used to arm one photon torpedo. You'll also lose out on seeking weapon defense which probably won't be an issue when dealing with drones (you've got enough phasers that should still be able to cover that), but could be a problem if you go up against plasma users. And phasers are much more useful against stingers than photons are.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the klinks want photons, they should surrender, get cleared, and join starfleet. But for those who don't wan't that tedious process, replace the Distruptors with Ph - 1's and the forward Ph - 1's with photons (And all phasers are called "Distruptors")
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Yes junior thats what i thought and put them in the boom has in star trek the motion picture.

So scoutdad the bettet idea would be to put the photons in the wing mounts replacing the disruptors or what about replacing the drones Question
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKGII,

Traditionally you replace like Weapon Systems with like Weapon Systems. So you replace Torpedoes with Torpedoe or Drones with Plasma Racks, ADDs or maybe a ESG not more Torpedoes.

Now as to what Piner was saying there is case, for a experimental purposes only, for taking a Klingon Ship replacing all Disrupters with Photons and then taking Disrupters and replacing all existingng Phaser on the Ship. this would give a D7 4-Photons, 9 Disrupters, 2 Drones and no Phasers.

As far as what your opponets will let you get away in your personal games /shrug. Have fun.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Carthaginian
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
Now as to what Piner was saying there is case, for a experimental purposes only, for taking a Klingon Ship replacing all Disrupters with Photons and then taking Disrupters and replacing all existingng Phaser on the Ship. this would give a D7 4-Photons, 9 Disrupters, 2 Drones and no Phasers.

Actually, it looks like he's saying RENAME the phasers as 'disruptors'; then put phasers on the engine nacelles and photons in the boom.
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: comverting ship cards Reply with quote

(i am sure you already thought of this but if not here goes) if it's the movie version your after than delete the disruptors from the warp engines. place a phaser where each boom tractor is located and place a photon launcher where the boom phaser's are. then move the aft tractor from under the deckhouse to place the other launcher their. rename your phaser's as disruptors. ths ship is going to fight differently form the original. best guess you would have to adjust the BPV down about 20 points ? due to weapon arcs change's and the down grade in forward crunch power (since i don't know how BPV is figured out that is as best a guess as i can make. you could use the cds to create this ship but that still won't give you a BPV only CPV) also don't forget to give your tractors a new home or you alter the BPV even more.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably safely double up the photons - i.e. put two in the boom and two in the deckhouse. Sure, we only see the D7 fire one from the rear launcher in The Motion Picture, but that doesn't mean that there aren't two there. And two photons would match up with the general number of heavy weapons seen on a cruiser in FedCom.

Just because we only see one launch port doesn't mean that there aren't multiple launchers attached to that port.

Quote:
Traditionally you replace like Weapon Systems with like Weapon Systems. So you replace Torpedoes with Torpedoe or Drones with Plasma Racks, ADDs or maybe a ESG not more Torpedoes.

Remember that the goal here is to build a ship that resembles something seen on-screen. So "tradition" is irrelevant.
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: comverting ship cards Reply with quote

good point.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
Remember that the goal here is to build a ship that resembles something seen on-screen. So "tradition" is irrelevant.

This maybe the first time I disagree with your Junior. We really need to try to follow "traditions" when making up new ship cards otherwise you will see broken ships that others will not play aginst because they will appear to break the system somehow. I mean sure I could go make Ship Cards for the Doomslayer or the Hammerfield but there are reasons these were never offically published.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: comverting ship cards Reply with quote

well since they were published for sfb in clog 3 i would not call them unoffical.

as for what their gaming group decides to use is up to them.peronnally i would drop drones altogether as they are not scene in any of the shows as an offensive weapon but thats just me.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
This maybe the first time I disagree with your Junior. We really need to try to follow "traditions" when making up new ship cards otherwise you will see broken ships that others will not play aginst because they will appear to break the system somehow. I mean sure I could go make Ship Cards for the Doomslayer or the Hammerfield but there are reasons these were never offically published.

So long as he doesn't lobby SVC to introduce it, or bring it to a Con tournament, who cares? It's a ship for his own private use and that of his group (if they choose to play against it). It's built to model a particular ship that appeared onscreen.

I have no issues with it being statted out.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Wow i did think i would get a good response to this post, but the idea for converting came from the klingon D7c the doomslayer done by mr west & so what i did is experiment

That what it says in the rules nothing is wrong with giving the klinks photons but not having every klingon ship with them at the minute it is just the command ships and the frigates.

And junior it makes both sides equal and the rest of my group enjoy playing against them
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carthaginian wrote:
Dal Downing wrote:

Actually, it looks like he's saying RENAME the phasers as 'disruptors'; then put phasers on the engine nacelles and photons in the boom.

Yes, that's what I meant.
As for Dal's Idea, if it were meant to be Cannon trek with FC rules, you'd do that. If you wanted a D7 that mirrored the Trek D7's power, you'd do what I said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: