Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to play F&E with miniatures?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad, PM inbound about going in on half Laughing .
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G,

People don't understand true gamers Smile

On my second assignment, I was stationed at Ft Irwin, 1981, when they first reopened it (Lucky enough to draw the job of driving for the Bn Cdr/Regt Cdr for the Opfor) ---

When the first attack occurred, I was on one of the little hills in the middle of the approach with the LTC and pretty much the entire Post Staff --- The first Bn passed the spot we were on, then the second Bn, when the third Bn went past the Post Chief of Staff made the comment, "Damn I didn't know a Regt had that many vehicles" -- that was just the BMP/T-72 mods ---
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
On my second assignment, I was stationed at Ft Irwin ....

Ah, yes ... Fort Irwin ... such a memorable place ... sadly, all too memorable. Lucky for me, I was only there for about three weeks at a time, although it was four separate times.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
DorianGray wrote:

Won't this be $2500? not to mention that will be MORE miniatures than one would ever need for a FedCom game.

Insane.

Yet again with that abrasive tone Dorian.

You respond with an insult, I assume because you don't like the answer.

Your comment about the potential for a streamlined strategic game in the future doesn't mitigate calling SVC or his customers insane (and yes that is what you did, even if it's not what you intended. "Internet" reads differently than speech).

Alright, ugh.

Don't you have better things to do than correct other people's freedom of expression and sit upon your mighty moral high ground looking down on us mere morals?

For your information, what I meant by insane was "$2,500! wow you need to be extremely hardcore for that!" Just as how the term "crazy" can be a complement as in "That's crazy! say in reference in a extremely well done conversation work someone did on a miniature"

Stop hijacking my threads, and try to rally some kind of popular lynch mob against me out of perceived insult I never even meant.

I could say more... but one thing I will say is your decision to flame and impose your so mighty moral authority highlights your immaturity in very clear and public fashion.

Adieu.
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dijdood also completely ignored my question (while getting in an insult of his own) about a new version of F&E like how FedCom was to SFB.

anyone have any info on this?
enterprise2007
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVC has a post on the legacy board where he says that he is working on it, and that he is not taking any suggestions right now. Here's his post:

"This is a future product line, not to be done in 2008 and that's not a promise it will be done in 2009 (and THAT's not a promise it will be done in 2010).

The general idea is "the F&E version of the SFB/FC conversion".

A faster, prettier, version of F&E, done by streamlining rules and concepts.

This would be done in two pieces:
1. Klingon Invasion covering half of the Federation, the Klingons and Kzintis
2. Romulan Invasion covering half of the Federation, Gorns, and Romulans.

Later, there might be a Four Powers War expansion adding Lyrans and Hydrans. Could even be an ISC expansion, and an Andromedan expansion.

Game System? I don't know, I'm still mulling concepts. Something "about the level of Axis and allies" maybe. Would it include plastic toys? Maybe. There is a Wikipedia article about this thing bu it was done by somebody else who is GUESSING and is not an official post by ADB.

This is NOT "F&E Risk" which is a separate proposal by various players and not a project I am working on.

I am NOT accepting input, suggestions, proposals, prototypes, or anything else. (Not even questions.) I will design it myself, when I have time and when I am ready. Any speculation or discussion would be seriously premature."
-Steve Cole
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'dood and Dorian: I am asking both of you to just drop it. After this I delete posts.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, guess it'll turn up around 2011 or 2012 at the earliest.

Glad to hear its being worked on.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianGray wrote:
Dijdood also completely ignored my question (while getting in an insult of his own) about a new version of F&E like how FedCom was to SFB.

anyone have any info on this?

I generally consider it bad form to requote myself, but...

Quote:
junior wrote:
Quote:
DorianGray wrote:
wait btw isn't a FedCom version of F&E already in the works? Hopefully a simpler more streamlined version without using thousands of counters. I heard somewhere to except a new F&E in 2010.

All we know is that it's been considered. If you look through the archives here, you'll occasionally find SVC saying that nothing (and I do mean nothing) about the game has been officially (or unofficially) announced.

Though enterprise2007 said it better than I did.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get this thread back on track...

I did have an idea a few years ago:

You could create a custom Battle Force Chart using 1.25-inch hexes. This could then be filled with the correct (and fully painted) miniatures before each round of combat. Of course - you'd need at least one of each miniature and several of the smaller, more common units; but it's not be in the 10s of thousands like playing the whole game wiht minis.

And, to be totally accurate, you'd need to have models for all the variants you planned to use in the battle lines... i.e., CWLs, DWLs, FKE's and MEC's for your Kzinti CV groups, etc.
And for that added bit of realism, you' need two copies of each unit:
One well painted and one crippled Very Happy to be switched out as units are damaged and/or repaired.

Yes, it's still take a lot of miniatures.
Yes, it'd slow an already long game down as you continually searched for the correct miniature.
Yes, it'd turn a just barely portable game into a compltely non-portable game.
YES! It would definitely increase the level of enjoyment and totally set the true Groknards aside from the regular joes... Wink
dave
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I firmly believe that any game played with counters can be played with miniatures. You just need a big enough table and enough miniatures...

For some games this also means converting some sort of miniature to stand in for various status markers.

Now why anybody in their right mind would want to collect, paint, and convert miniatures for all 3000+ Counters in the full F&E counter set....

(No, I didn't count them. I worked out the number of counters per sheet and multiplied by the number sheets)

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
...for all 3000+ Counters in the full F&E counter set....

The problem therein lies with lack of experience with F&E.
The box set has enough (just) counters to let you set-up the opening Order of Battle, but as turns progress, economies increae, production increases, ships are protected/defended and not lost... the counter mix gets out of whack.
I currently have 5 boxed sets, + at least three expanded copies of each expansion, no telling how many extra sheets from ebay, grab bag purchases, trades, and the goodness of SVC's heart at Origins and I still run out of counters mid-game and have to printout extras of th most common ones to fill out the fleets.

That's probably 15,000 counters plus... and it's not enough.
That's a LOT of miniatures and a really big play space!!! Shocked
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is ridiculous...
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
this is ridiculous...

How so?
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad, you forgot to factor in SVC's ruling that you must take a hammer to the mini of any ship that gets destroyed in F&E-Minis.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: