Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strategies that can be learned in 1 game
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Strategies that can be learned in 1 game Reply with quote

Never show mercy- And what I mean by that is fire everything you can, sometimes excluding if the energy is needed for anything else.

Never Overload Photons except at the instant of firing (The only exception being if at the end of the turn you have extra energy. You never want to spend more energy then you need to for holding costs.)

Never Cloak when you need to fire, except with Chang's Bird of Prey (An obvious tactic.)

Any others?

(Administrators, my apologies, this should be in tactics. Feel free to move it.)
MajerBlundor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always present your opponent with a dilemma and frustrate his "obvious" choices through asymmetrical tactics.

Shoot phasers at the incoming drones or the enemy ships just beyond? Close with overloaded photons or flee that incoming plasma torp? etc.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Strategies that can be learned in 1 game Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:

Never Overload Photons except at the instant of firing (The only exception being if at the end of the turn you have extra energy. You never want to spend more energy then you need to for holding costs.)

That shows that someone has only played a few games and come away with some bad assumptions. Paying 1 power to hold and 2/4 power to overload at the point of firing restricts you more during a turn than paying 2 power to hold.

The better strategy would be:
Asses the situation and decide whether you can afford to pay extra power to hold (or finish loading) standards and also fire overload in the same turn, or whether paying for overloads fully and then having the extra power next turn is better. [edit: or whether trying for overloads is even useful]]
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a drone is targetted on you and you have a good phaser arc, don't shoot till at point blank range.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[follow-up to storyelf's comments]
Indeed.

The only rule in tactics is that there are no rules. Every scenario is different and requires a different playbook. Every opponent brings a different and dangerous mindset to the map.

The game isn't just the basic duel, or even-point squadron battle.

"Close and hose" has its place in the playbook and its uses. However, if your opponent starts to read your "tells" and knows your plays, you are doomed to repeated losses when he uses an effective "counter move". The "saber dance" works beautifully to frustrate overload-minded Feds (when executed well).

Some scenarios may make your labs and probe launcher the most important things on your ship. Other fights may hinge more on clever use of your tractors, than anything else (the "Gorn Anchor" is famous). Sometimes, keeping your ship intact just long enough to do one transporter operation and then "get the heck out of Dodge" is more important than any damage you could do to the bad guy.

The best of the best (and I do not consider myself in those ranks; but I'm learning) can adapt and succeed in any situation.
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing to remember is that there are no strategies that can be learned in one game. There are constants that re the same from wargame-to-wargame-to-wargame.
these being concentration of fire, beware of flanking manuevers, etc.

The one thing I try to instill in new players is the value of having six shields. Remember that you get no bonus points for bringing back shield boxes. As you aprroach your opponents, use your manueverability to keep a good shield towards the enemy... then as you pull away (especially if sabre-dancing), do the same thing.
Ask the guys from Battlegroup Acadiana how well that tactic worked for me at Coastcon. By the time the stinking, over-plasma'd Orion and cold-blooded, scaley Gorn managed to run me down - I had a grand total of 11 shield boxes left (spread between all 6 shields) and had taken-out or helped to severely cripple 3 other cruisers.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

I flew a Fed CS against my group's Klingon in an SD7 in our last session. I'm slowly getting better with expanding my "playbook" and did easily the best maneuvering I've ever done in that game and the results were similar. I'm discovering that "maneuver is the heart of SFB [and FedCom]" is indeed a true adage.

My ship was considerably less maneuverable, but over the course of the game I made good choices and kept getting fresh shields to him when he fired or when drones snuck through.

Bad dice robbed me of half my photon hits on the initial battle-pass. With that "reality check" in place, I decided I either won that fight with phasers and turns, or I was toast.

I managed two "Surprise!, you forgot my RH phasers" shots (one killing a drone, the other was a close-range shot through a down shield on his ship with hot dice. That RH phaser shot won me the game. Hot dice on the phaser table, and a 6 for him on the damage table - yanking most of his remaining weapons.

We ended with my ship having received trivial burn-through damage through the course of the game (some repaired), minor power damage, about half my "padding" gone, and having lost half my photon tubes to hit and run raids. All of my shields were in tatters.

However, my power was almost full, my phaser array was intact, my drone rack reloaded, and my remaining photons about to be loaded again.

His SD7 was toothless (other than his ADD), with two down shields, others damaged, and considerable power issues. He (reluctantly) conceded when we ran out of time.

"Big crunch" didn't win me that fight. It helped (half of it did at least...), but what won that battle was phasers, turns, a bit of luck, and the more robust nature of Fed ships.

Had the roles been reversed (maybe someday he'll want to fly something other than a Klingon... Rolling Eyes ) I would have denied the Fed a close-in firing opportunity. My opponent didn't leverage the significant turning advantage he had to get behind me and stay there (yes an HET can be done, but that's magic you just have to allow for). He kept letting me turn away before he could line up his strikes the way he wanted and losing that "wear me down" factor cost him the game.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have clarified my meaning that these strategies are for a duel scenario only.

That's all I've played.

What I meant was, when overloading Phots, normally do it when about to fire, just as a general guideline.

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good going, Will. There's nothing quite like the "Gotcha" manuever. I'd been on both the giving and the receiving end of it.

A long range shot with an until just recently out of arc or forgotten shield can provide one of those "Priceless" moments:
Energy Cost at Speed 16: 16 energy
Shield Reinforcement: 4 energy
Seeing the look on the Klinks face as the RH phaser fires through a down shield:
PRICELESS!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
If a drone is targetted on you and you have a good phaser arc, don't shoot till at point blank range.

If a drone is targetted on you and you have time... launch a drone in anti-drone mode. The hit is gaurenteed and it still leaves a phaser for use against a more valuable target.
If a drone is targetted on you and you've got time - tractor it and let it's duration run out.
If a drone is targetted on you and you have allies, let one of them tractor it and separate to increase the range. Once released, it may run out of endurance prior to impact.
Quote:
Never show mercy- And what I mean by that is fire everything you can, sometimes excluding if the energy is needed for anything else

Unless the object of the scenario is not the complete and utter destruction of the enemy ship.
Quote:
Never Overload Photons except at the instant of firing...

Probably the most true of all the listed "strategies", but still open for debate.

As storyelf and dood previously stated, having a standard strategy is a bad idea. Tactical situations are ever changing and your strategies should be fluid as well.
General Chang
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played two games personally, but have guided friends through several more. The minimum number of players we've had has been 4, the majority of games have had 6, and one game has had 8 players.

This has taught me that the old army maxim "Without combination in the attack, no victory is possible" is true for Star Trek. There's a place for Kirk style heroics but in almost all the games I have seen, the team that works together wins. Even powerful individual ships are vulnerable to a good round of concentrated fire.

Last game I played, I was chanting the three Cs of the Royal Artillery at my comrades like some kind of Klingon prayer:
Concentrate
Co-ordinate
Conquer
(I think it sounds quite appropriate for Klingons, especially the Conquer bit...!) It didn't always work, but it made me feel better!

On the other hand, in most games I have seen the temptation to go charging off and steal a 'kill' for yourself is incredibly tempting. Additionally, self preservation takes over when your front shield is down and the rest of your team are urging you to "make a pass at that battlecruiser, draw its fire!" Rolling Eyes

The second lesson I have learned from these few games is that the more 'in-character' you are, the more succesful your ship in battle. Federation photon torpedoes miss around 95% of the time in our games, UNLESS the Fed player leans dramatically forward and states "Fire!" in the style of Kirk prior to rolling the dice. Equally, Klingon disruptors prove far more succesful if you can spin in a chair shouting "Cry havoc!" before you roll to hit. This is all scientifically proven of course, and we will be publishing our findings once we have sufficient data. Very Happy
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chang, I look forward to seeing that data... Smile
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
All of my shields were in tatters.

Then a) they've done their job, and b) you have used them to the full. Good play.
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
djdood wrote:
All of my shields were in tatters.

Then a) they've done their job, and b) you have used them to the full. Good play.

Thanks. It took me a while, but eventually I learned to use shields other than #1 Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: