Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B10 Boom Kitbashes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkwing
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: B10 Boom Kitbashes Reply with quote

I know the staff at ADB thought I was nuts this past week when, along with a bunch of other stuff, I ordered 3 B10 booms. I am a little nuts, but I think it was worth it.

The pictures included here are all of the ships after the base coat has been applied. Most of them will be painted in my non-standard colors as seen in the Klingon Painting Examples thread.

One of the booms will just be a boom, suitable for the historical scenario where it leads a defense fleet or any number of other possible scenarios where a severed boom is running for home.

The second was used with a badly mangled C8 rear hull that I picked up at a yard sale years ago. The C8 boom is already in use as an escape pod, but after much work, the rear hull is in fair enough shape to be joined to a B10 boom to create the B8 combined dreadnought.

I haven't seen any names listed for this unbuilt type, so here are pictures of the IKV Incorrigible.

A note to anyone wishing to do this kitbash - Cutting out the space in the C8 hull where the boom's engine section goes is the worst part! I got pretty far into it before I started breaking off bits of putty and stuff that was filling cracks and standing in for chipped and missing metal, so I ended up filing off the bottom of the boom's round engine (or whatever that connector part is called) until the boom fit onto the C8 rear. Another thing to keep in mind is that that connecting section is longer than the distance between the leading edge and the rear hanger bay housing. I had a gap between the rear of the boom and the front of the rear hull about 1.5 times the thickness of a dime. I filled that with bits of styrene and puttied over the gap with forgivable results. I might go back and build a sort of collar to make the work look more deliberate. Someone else might want to try trimming a couple of rings from the connecting part in order to make the ship fit together more nicely.

The third boom became the B10T as I also ordered a Klingon tug. I made the mistake of NOT ordering a metal stand, which this wee beastie will require. Also, I still need to drill a new hole for a stand as neither the one that worked for the tug nor the one in the boom is even close to what this will need.

Anyway, here is IKV Invulnerable.

I'll post pics in the painting examples thread once I get these all "purdied" up.

I also had another B10 part that I needed to finish my model of a B11S (which is shown at the front of the next pic). Thanks to the staff at ADB for helping me out with that! I have all of my B10/Variants in this picture, called the Happy B10 Family.

Tice Leonard, U.S.S. Lexington & IKV Annihilation
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those all look very nice
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
I have a B10T and a C8 kitbashed, I just need to find time to paint them.
Darkwing
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

Scoutdad, I'd love to see the pics when you get done Smile

Also, how did you handle the "gap" on the B8? Since the ship was never "officially built" there is little chance of there being an official way of building this ship. I'd love to see how you handled the problem of the hulls not exactly fitting together.

Tice Leonard, U.S.S. Lexington & IKV Annihilation
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkwing wrote:

Also, how did you handle the "gap" on the B8? Since the ship was never "officially built" there is little chance of there being an official way of building this ship. I'd love to see how you handled the problem of the hulls not exactly fitting together.

Poetic license.
Since the underside is rarely seen, I concentrated on makign the top surface line up, then added an epoxy-putty pod under neath the C* rear hull to tie into the B10 boom.
Jack Bohn
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good gravy, that B8 really emphasizes the size of the boom! Even the R9 picture of the B10T (similar to your third picture of it) didn't make it look that impressive. Wonderful work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: