Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem: can't find or recruit new players.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Problem: can't find or recruit new players. Reply with quote

I love everything about FC, the scenarios, the ships, the actual game play, even just fooling around with the counters. But the only person willing to play is my dad, and he has a tight schedule. My brother knows how to play, but would rather do other things. Most of the kids in my school think Star Trek is geeky (peer presure, or the concept of blowing things up instead of figuring them out (SEE STAR WARS), not that they've really watched it or tried to follow the storyline), and even the ones who do like it Would likely rather play video games. No one in Middle school wants to play a board game over a video game (they spell it "bored game"). And my local game store doesn't support the game. I've got Klingon border to orion attack and all the boosters from 1 to 20 (though I can't find my klingon attack booklet), but I can't find anyone to play with! If anyone has had a problem like this or has any advice, please tell me.
ADB Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem: can't find or recruit new players. Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
I love everything about FC, the scenarios, the ships, the actual game play, even just fooling around with the counters. But the only person willing to play is my dad, and he has a tight schedule. My brother knows how to play, but would rather do other things. Most of the kids in my school think Star Trek is geeky (peer presure, or the concept of blowing things up instead of figuring them out (SEE STAR WARS), not that they've really watched it or tried to follow the storyline), and even the ones who do like it Would likely rather play video games. No one in Middle school wants to play a board game over a video game (they spell it "bored game"). And my local game store doesn't support the game. I've got Klingon border to orion attack and all the boosters from 1 to 20 (though I can't find my klingon attack booklet), but I can't find anyone to play with! If anyone has had a problem like this or has any advice, please tell me.

Have you tried looking for players in the player's database?
http://www.starfleetgames.com/fccc/login.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MajerBlundor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're in or near Atlanta we're playing on Saturday at Hobbytown USA in Kennesaw. Start time is 1:00.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because I'm too young to give out my location. It's not that I don't trust people here (I like being amoungst the other nerds like me), but you can never be too careful.
ADB Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
No, because I'm too young to give out my location. It's not that I don't trust people here (I like being amoungst the other nerds like me), but you can never be too careful.
You don't HAVE to give out your location. You can register with bogus info, then search for players in your area, call them up and see if they want to play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dave
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are definitely not the only one who has difficulty finding new players.

I live near 4 different colleges and while I am sure they must have players I am not a student and have no on campus connections to introduce me. I have tried putting up flyers in the local comics shop, but no luck.

You probably run into the "no respectable adult should want to play games with kids"problem from the other side to me. I am sure there are younger folks around who might be interested, but as I am in my 40s it is hard to arrange games without people thinking that I must be up to no good. You probably run into adults not thinking you are worth the time.

The player's database is a good suggestion. Miniatures may help to get people interested, the look cool. Definitely a bummer that your local gamestore doesn't support the game.

Hang in there though, I am sure somebody not to far from you will turn up. I hear you about the geeky reputation of Star Trek, and agree most people who say that have never really watched it. Besides, I was, still am, and probably always will be a geek, and there are worse fates in life.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabey, I'll have to talk to my parents about that.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a young person and you use words like amongst.

Do what Eric suggests.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, things might improve a bit once the new Trek movie is out. If it's a hit, that means the mainstream will be going to see it and the whole "Star Trek is only for nerds" argument will be deflated.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:

Do what Eric suggests.

First Comment: So?
Second comment: See qoute:

pinecone wrote:
Mabey, I'll have to talk to my parents about that
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
You are definitely not the only one who has difficulty finding new players.

I live near 4 different colleges and while I am sure they must have players I am not a student and have no on campus connections to introduce me. I have tried putting up flyers in the local comics shop, but no luck.

You probably run into the "no respectable adult should want to play games with kids"problem from the other side to me. I am sure there are younger folks around who might be interested, but as I am in my 40s it is hard to arrange games without people thinking that I must be up to no good. You probably run into adults not thinking you are worth the time.

The player's database is a good suggestion. Miniatures may help to get people interested, the look cool. Definitely a bummer that your local gamestore doesn't support the game.

Hang in there though, I am sure somebody not to far from you will turn up. I hear you about the geeky reputation of Star Trek, and agree most people who say that have never really watched it. Besides, I was, still am, and probably always will be a geek, and there are worse fates in life.

Well, thanks for the reminder I'm not alone. You said that you think young people would be interested? I don't know, but mabey the next time I have a friend over I'll ask them if they want to play (I won't mention "Star Trek". It is technically "Star Fleet Universe" after all Smile ) I think the challenge is not getting people to play a game or so, but getting them "into" the game. Still, i'm despreate here, so I'll take one game over nothing Wink .
Jeff Cope
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding players is definitely a challenge.

I very much want to get into FedComm, but there's no players in my area. I'd really like to get some games in before Origins. I'm hoping to meet some other players there.

But, yeah, finding players is problematic.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
wedge_hammersteel wrote:

Do what Eric suggests.

pinecone wrote:

He was pointing out that you are unlike most other kids your age, you can speak English, in other words it was a compliment dingus Very Happy Btw good to see you around again pinecone.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savedfromwhat wrote:
pinecone wrote:
wedge_hammersteel wrote:

Do what Eric suggests.

pinecone wrote:

He was pointing out that you are unlike most other kids your age, you can speak English, in other words it was a compliment dingus Very Happy Btw good to see you around again pinecone.

Thanks! I took a break from FC and started playing pokemon cards for a while (I can't find anyone to play that with either! Mad ), but with breifing 2 coming out soon, I had to get back into the FC groove Wink .

Hey, I wonder if it would be eaisier to teach people to play with those unrefitted ships... Question
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Do not send bogus info to starlist. We check requests against online databases and blacklist people who do that.

2. I don't think the separate player database in the commander's cirlce requires you to give data.

3. There are all of the traditional methods. Post on the forum and BBS. Put up fliers in the game store. Just go to the game store, set up the game, and play it and see if anybody comes by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: