Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem: can't find or recruit new players.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hugely apologize. But Pokemon? really? I mean I wouldn't have said anything if he said a more reputable hobby.

How is Pokemon a gateway game? I don't even consider Risk or Ticket to Ride a gateway game. Axis and Allies and Diplomacy, now we're getting there... with still much to be desired.

I came over to Fed Com from real hex-to-hex war games from GMT games.

Actually Federation Commander reminds me a lot of Avalanche Press Naval War games depicting WW1 WW2 surface battles.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the games you mention are gateway games - they are just games with simple rules that can entice people into the wider gaming hobby. If you don't think they are gateway games then what is your defintion of gateway game?

I came to SFB from things like the longest day, third reich, squad leader, and various other such games. But that doesn't really make them gateway games, I was into gaming long before that.

As to warhammer, that is more than a game, there are plenty of people who are into that just for the modelling and painting. Whilst I'm averagely competent at painting warhammer minis I've seen stuff from pre teen kids that blow my stuff away. I've also had good games with pre teen kids. Warhammer may be the ultimate gateway game in the UK - for every 'mature' board gamer I know I can find 30 odd warhammer players simply by walking into a GW store at a weekend, a lot will just be going through a fad, but some will be generally interested in trying out other games. GW have a mini based space combat game as well set in the 40k universe - battlefleet gothic, if they like that and also like trek (good chance in my experience) then may well be interested in FC, especially if you are using the minis. The only problem there would be in having a 40 year old inviting some young teens round to try anything else.
drwibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: UK? Reply with quote

edited, meant to send this as a PM!

Mike, can you remove please?
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianGray wrote:
I hugely apologize. But Pokemon? really? I mean I wouldn't have said anything if he said a more reputable hobby.

How is Pokemon a gateway game? I don't even consider Risk or Ticket to Ride a gateway game. Axis and Allies and Diplomacy, now we're getting there... with still much to be desired.

I came over to Fed Com from real hex-to-hex war games from GMT games.

Actually Federation Commander reminds me a lot of Avalanche Press Naval War games depicting WW1 WW2 surface battles.

Actually, I was introduced to Pokemon after several other card games. I have also played several tactical and strategical board games as well. Off the top of my head: Duelmasters (out of print), Star Trek CCG (Out of print), Star Wars TCG (out of print), Pokemon TCG, Topps Attax, Star Wars Minis, Star Wars Starship Battles, Axis and Allies, Red Alert (Out of print), FC, and a simple Star Trek battles game that me and my dad invented.

All of those games have gone through "recycling" sessions several times. I will get hooked on one and then move on to another. Sometimes I play several of those at one time, and try to balance out. They all have good points and bad points (except Duelmasters, which is perfectly strategy, no coin flips or dice roles. Pity it's not in print anymore.), but I enjoy them all throughly.

So, I not sure I need a gateway (I'm in over my head already). But I just enjoy all the games for different reasons. And remember, Disregarding a game as Childish is just like disregarding Star Trek as Geeky, at least until you've tried it out.

This may seem like an offensive post, but I'm merely trying to defend my point. I accept yourapology DorianGray, but take into consideration what I'm saying.
Jeff Cope
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianGray wrote:
But Pokemon? really? I mean I wouldn't have said anything if he said a more reputable hobby.

So, just because you don't like it you can deem it not a reputable hobby?

If you're able to attend Origins please wander into the Pokemon hall during the Nationals tournament and tell me it's not a reputable hobby. There'll be 500 - 700 people of all ages, children, teens, college students, adults, having a great time indulging in their less reputable hobby.

I don't play Pokemon, never have and have no plans to....but just don't allow your lack of interest to disqualify a hobby that a great many others do enjoy.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemon:
I have to admit, I don't enjoy playing Pokemon myself - but when PlasmaBoy was truely a boy (age 7 or Cool, he and his friends were into the Pokemon cartoon. Then he saw the card game and wanted some. I bought him a few packs and he used his allowance to buy more. Eventually he had over a 1000 cards. He and his friends would play an dtrade for hours. Occassionally, he'd have no one to play with and ask me to join him.

So yeah, I've played quite a few games. It's a decent game... and as far as being a gateway game, why not? After Mark got a bit older, he decided playing games with dad was fun - so he'd ask to be taught other games:
Star Fleet Battles, Federation and Empire, D&D, Car Wars, Illuminati, The Russian Campaign, Blue Max, Richtofen's War, and so on. Eventually, he outgrew Pokemon, gave away his cards, and joined the US Army where he's now involved in even bigger wargames than I participate in.

And Pokemon had a part in starting it.

One other salient point: As a tween and young teen - he and his friends spent many a Friday and Saturday evening at our house, sitting atthe kitchen table, playing Pokemon. No drugs, no alcohol, no malicious activities - just good clean fun in a safe environment where I knew what they were doing and who they were hanging out with.

That makes it a win in my book.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a microbiologist by training, Pokemon always made me think of exotic tropical diseases.

"Gotta catch 'em all"

Just kidding. My boys cut their gaming teeth on Pokemon. Like any game [even snakes and ladders], you learn to win, learn to lose, learn what games are about. Plus of course the most important thing - having fun .
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might not have gotten that pun, had I not had a sinus infection (tis the season to be sneezy). Laughing Seriously though, I don't think people give Pokemon enough credit. The cartoon is not the best, but the games are extremely fun. It doesn't have FC level strategy, but few games do. It also plays quicker.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munchkin was the "gateway" game I used to turn my friends on to the world of gaming beyond Parker Brothers stuff. Eventually, I got them into FedCom.

While Pokemon has never had any appeal to me at all (I just don't click with the subject matter), I'd never slag it. Magic the Gathering also never interested me one bit - CCG's as a genre have never caught my interest.

I can't help but notice what a behemoth that part of the industry was (and kinda still is). Obviously, a lot of folks found some things there to like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: