Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello, everyone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
A bit off topic, but I'd like to see Outstanding crew rules. It would give the Magnificent panzers a fighting chance...

Funny you should mention that. I have just about completed my own version of some Outstanding Crew rules, but have not yet submitted it. I'm told there are no plans for these rules so I went ahead and did 'em myself. Also the Panzers were the reason why I wanted to do that rule. Even if I only use the rule in that scenario, it will have been worth it.

I must point out of course that these rules are not intended to be added to FC in order to make it more complex. I'm the last person that wants to see FC become over-complex. These rules were really written only for my own personal use, and are not intended for publication, but I'm happy to share them with those who are interested for their own personal use in turn.

So, pm me if you would like a copy of the draft rules. The invite applies to everyone, not just Piney. In order to preserve Piney's anonymity [because of his age] I will put them on my website in an 'unmarked' folder, so they will not be for general Internet access, but only for people who ask me for the url.

Of course anyone with a modicum of common sense could have done this job themselves. But until someone actually goes ahead and does it, then it'll still not be done - so I have done it. If that reasoning makes sense, to you, then congratulations Wink

[Edit] I have now submitted the new rules to SVC as a matter of courtesy. This means that the document is now covered by ADB's online policy, so it's all legal. That's the only reason I have submitted them; I don't really want them added to the game system per se.

[Second edit] Apparently it's not legal. See my post below and SVC's too.

Last edited by Kang on Thu May 07, 2009 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody sent me his version of the outstanding crew rules this morning and said he was going to post them. I told him not to. I reminded him that permission to post stuff based on SFU is limited, and one of the limits is that nothing adapted from SFB into FC is permissable. Only the company can do that. If you write a totally new rule/scenario/weapon/ship not related to or equivalent to anything in SFB, you can post it (under the rules which assign ownership to ADB) but you cannot adapt SFB stuff into FC and post that.
enrious
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial order came in yesterday (Klingon Border, Romulan Space, Briefing 1 (forgot I'd ordered it)). I should be getting in Romulan, Klingon, Tholian, Orion, Battleships, and Distant Kingdoms on Monday.

Rules for the most part seem to have hit the right balance of complexity and fun.

If this game had been out in the 80's, I probably would have kept with it, but the Commander's edition just started to get unwieldy.

Now the hard part - convincing friends to try FC out!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enrious wrote:

Good luck. Where are you located at? There may be some of us nearby...
enrious
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
enrious wrote:

Good luck. Where are you located at? There may be some of us nearby...

St. Louis.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad this game wasn't released in the 80's.
I grew up in Spanish Lake and didn't move to middle TN until 1980.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Somebody sent me his version of the outstanding crew rules this morning and said he was going to post them. I told him not to. I reminded him that permission to post stuff based on SFU is limited, and one of the limits is that nothing adapted from SFB into FC is permissable. Only the company can do that. If you write a totally new rule/scenario/weapon/ship not related to or equivalent to anything in SFB, you can post it (under the rules which assign ownership to ADB) but you cannot adapt SFB stuff into FC and post that.

That was me. And I won't post them until I have clarified what his email means, if at all. Some of the rules are my own invention, the rest are simply reverse-engineered from the FC degraded crew rules. Like I said, anyone with a little bit of common can do that.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony: Do not post them, at all, ever. Use them with your local friends. Channel your creativity into things the on-line policy allows you to post. Anyone can submit something based on SFB (and any crew rule, even one you make up from scratch, is ultimately "equivalent to" and thus based on the SFB rule and not postable) and send it in just in case I always wanted to do that rule and never had time or never figured out how. (Just don't be upset if I don't want your rule, or want to do it myself, or already did it myself, or already decided I'm not going to put it into FC.) Sorry if you thought I was "brusque" but I was just trying to answer ALL of my email from ALL of my customers. I could not ignore three others to make you feel better about being rejected.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Got it - thanks for your attention on this, Steve Smile
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well. Thanks for trying. I don't have any SFB other than the free starter booklet, so I wont know how to do a perfect mirror. Mabey I can just opposite the effects of the degraded crew for my use.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Oh well. Thanks for trying. I don't have any SFB other than the free starter booklet, so I wont know how to do a perfect mirror. Mabey I can just opposite the effects of the degraded crew for my use.

That's what I meant I did, more or less! Smile
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It strikes me that such an approach is more in line with the broad, overview style of FC as opposed to SFB.

No need to worry about legendary officers - it's the overall crew that matters.

At least, that's how it seems to me.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really really DO NOT want outstanding crews in FC, and have ZERO plans to EVER create such a rule.

If Anthony wants to post his (here, nowhere else) then he can (just for grins, chuckles, and those who cannot live without it but cannot do their own), but you may consider it rejected on the spot.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
I really really really DO NOT want outstanding crews in FC, and have ZERO plans to EVER create such a rule.

If Anthony wants to post his (here, nowhere else) then he can (just for grins, chuckles, and those who cannot live without it but cannot do their own), but you may consider it rejected on the spot.

Thanks Steve; that's kind of you. But I will only post them if sufficient people are interested; like you've said to me before, it appears that people really don't want those rules anyway.

And, even if they do appear here, I must emphasise that they are only 'experimental', are completely unofficial, and are not a part of FC except in terms of them being on the forum [if they are ever put here]. The other thing is that they are completely untested, just an idea, that's all. This would all be made clear in the posting - if it happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: