Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend Space Mat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Recommend Space Mat Reply with quote

I'll put this straight: I don't like the map panels. Instead, I am using my tan Chessex hex map I used when playing GURPS, but space is not tan (last I checked anyway).

I wanna nice map to play. I dont use minis, just token. I am planning a campaign so I want a lot of space. Please, recommend a nice space map. 4' x 5' or thereabouts would be good. Black or simple starfield would be best. I'd like smaller hexes. I see a lot with 1" hexes, but I would like them smaller, say 3/4". Is there such a map in those sizes?

Also, keep it affordable. $50 tops.

Thanx
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about hex-sizes, but Monday Knight Productions has Space mats.

Hotz Artworks has space mats with 1-inch hexes.
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chek this out for Monday Knight Productions.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1188&start=0
Inari7
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of the Chessex mats that are black.

here is a picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16836334@N03/

(Iggy Pop)
gcrutch
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Hotz maps:

http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_1-deep_space.html
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On those felt mats, how are they? Do they unroll well? How is it sliding counters on them?
gcrutch
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no business interest in the company that makes those maps (Hotz). I am going to order one myself. From the website, it seems that you can order them rolled in a tube or order them folded in a box.

Rolled mats from Hotz cost more for shipping and packaging. I have used felt maps before and they unroll just fine. Just keep them rolled with the hex side facing outward and you should be good to go.

I would not use them for counters - they are best suited for miniatures in my opinion.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcrutch wrote:
I would not use them for counters - they are best suited for miniatures in my opinion.

Ah, see I am going counters. A black Chessex would be best for me then, I guess, no starfield.

I was also thinking of making my own. It wont fold, but I can take Hubble starfields, add a cool hex patteren (maybe a glowing lightsabre like effect with Photoshop's layer effect), then print it at Kinkos to a poster, which they laminate and apply a foam core backing. Wont fold, but will be real colorful, and smooth for counters. They can easily do 36" x 48." I could also have them cut it in half or quarters to use as side by side board. Hmmm.
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcrutch wrote:

I've slid many a shuttle and drone counter on my GeoHex felt space mat and never had any problems.
gcrutch
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until my copy of Federation Commander Klingon Border arrives on order at my local gaming store, I am using an old game board from "Alpha Omega" for my star map along with the free First Mission PDF rules from ADB. The Alpha Omega map board sections have 1.25" hexes on a blue-black star field.

Here's a link on boardgame geek for a pic of the map: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/70205
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two of the Chessex Battle mats, 2 of the Monday Knight Productions felt star mats, and 4 sets of laminated (ADB Mega-Hex, multi part maps - 1 mounted on foam board, 2 laminated as individual panels, and one laminated and rolled as a full sheet)

I've played many a game on all of them, using both miniatures, counters, and a combination of minis/counters. My favorite map is far and away the MKP felt mats. We usually play with mins, but we still use counters for drones, torps, and shuttles and have never had a problem with them sticking or getting caught in the felt mat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: