Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle Years tournament thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Middle Years tournament thoughts Reply with quote

Hi.

On the one hand, FC's current tournament system is intended to be distinct from that of SFB - focussing on squadrons instead of starship duels.

On the other, the Middle Years range of ships might suit a distinct tournament system, which could both highlight the less intense warfare of the era, and make playing such a tourney more than just plugging their ships into the current FC layout.

So, I posted over on the other board an idea which might be interesting.

One could choose one of a range of ships (Squadron Scale) in the roughly 120-135 (or thereabouts) point range, and take them against others of said range in a round-robin set of one-on-one matchups, and maybe also include some kind of monster scenario intended to have 2 or more players co-operate in order to survive (and jointly earn points from).

The ships I had in mind were, provisionally:

Federation: CA, CAR, GSC, OCA
Klingon: D6, D7
Orion: CA
Kzinti: CS, CA
Tholian: C
Romulan: KR, VUL
Gorn: CA
Lyran: CA, BCE
H: RN

Of those, the GSC, Vulture and Royal Panther are somewhat unorthodox choices, granted - but they are within the general points spread, and have various strengths and weaknesses that could make them challenging in a duel format.

Plus, in the right monster scenario, the GSC would have a potentially interesting role to play.

(I'm not quite sure that the CAR would be a good fit once it is released, since its rear-firing phasers might take away some of the challenge one would have with the CA - or whether or not the D6 and CS should be included also - but I dunno.)

The way I see it, obliging players to take historical ships is a challenge that the SFB duels don't offer (with their tournament-optimised non-historical vessels) - which would be the point. Middle Years captains had to make do with what they had, not with what they wished they were flying.

The challenge would be for a FC player to try and do the same.

Now, this is just a provisional idea - but it's one I wanted to run past you anyway. Alternatively, if you have ideas concerning how to make a Middle Years tournament distinct from the General War-era tourney already in place, why not post them here for us to pore over?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: