Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player Reference Cards in Klingon Border and Romulan Border

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcrutch
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Player Reference Cards in Klingon Border and Romulan Border Reply with quote

I just purchased FC Klingon Border at my local game store. My favorite components are the ship status cards - they really look good! However - I noticed that my Player Reference Cards are printed with the words "Federation Commander Romulan Border" along with the Romulan logo.

Are the player reference cards the same in Klingon Border and Romulan Border as far as the charts on them, or am I missing something that I should have received in the Klingon Border box?

Thanks in advance for any help---
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fundamentally the same.

The Romulan Border Player Reference Card has (I *think*) the very minor fix to the Damage Allocation Chart (where a double was eliminated). But they are the same. Most likely, they just ran out of the ones labelled for Klingon Border and are just using the Romulan Bordered one for everything.

Steve has mentioned at least once that when the Player Reference Card is reprinted, it will only be labelled with "Federation Commander", not a specific product.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
gcrutch
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information. Can't wait to play the game. I have to say this again: The quality of the ship status cards and the charts is very high - good job ADB!
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the turn/impulse/subpulse sequence chart may have some additions.
HeyRandy
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got FC:KB several weeks ago and mine has Romulan Border printed on the PRC as well. I hadn't noticed until now. I have a couple of quick questions...

1. How do I know that I have the updated version? There is no version number listed on mine.

2. If I have an older chart, how do I get the updated version?

Thanks for your help!

www.acmeterrain.com
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it says "Romulan Border", then you have the newest version.

The Klingon Border one I have (from the first print run) did indeed have that minor glitch in the DAC (Battery and C Warp in reverse-order on Table #1). It's playable as is, but I took a Sharpie to it and made the correction to match the one in FC:RB.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have printed that chart three or four times. I think we're using the generic ones not marked Klingon or Romulan now, but I'd have to ask Mike. Anyway, the very first one (in the original Klingon border) had a glitch in the DAC where the primary and secondary were the same thing. That was what the algorithm that did the chart required, but I got tired of answering that question and changed it in Romulan Border. I think that's the only change.

Revision numbers are in the rulebook, but it's more complex than that.

Some companies have games printed "turn key" where the printer assembles the game and throws away whatever is left over. We don't do that. We print each part in the economical quantities (sometimes a special case requires us to do something different) and use many parts in more than one product. When a given part runs out, we reprint it, and use all of the updates (most of which are cosmetic, not mistake fixes).

For example, the original FCKB boxes had this strange "glow" effect on the title that made it hard to read (the graphics guy at the time had the attitude that the more "effects" he used, the better, even if they made it worse). RCRB fixed that to a clear readable form. When we reprinted the FCKB Boxes, we changed them to that title style.

Ship cards run out all of the time, and are reprinted as needed, and get all kinds of updates, mostly cosmetic. For example, I eliminated most of the black outlines around the national insignia, and we eliminated the unneeded notes about marking off weapon boxes, and eliminated the word "shuttle" over the shuttle damage icons. We changed a mistake in two cards, I think, the C7 and one of the D5 variants. I started doing plasma tracks differently (fancier, same function) a while back. Many updated cards have a star on them (and a later copyright date) but I think one or two got updated without the star or date.
gcrutch
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add that I am very happy with my copy of the game and the player charts as well as the SSDs are outstanding. Thanks for the info about the corrected Romulan Border player chart.
sbartholome
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of getting this updated 'fed commander' player chart in communique, or added to the player aids section of the commaders circle?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firing charts portions of it are already there on the Master Weapons Chart.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One very nice thing ADB does is to make updates available to players rapidly and economically.

I just purchased Romulan Border and got the Rev 5 rulebook at no extra charge. My Klinon Border has Rev 4, and I have printed off at least one version of the CRUL (Consolidated Rules Updae List) available from Commander's Circle.

I like this. As SVC says most of the updates are cosmetic and you have to look really closely to spot them. I certainly have no idea which printing the ship cards in my various boosters are, but I know they were all crent as of ordering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: