Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I start with Klingon or Romulan Border

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FluxCobalt
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Should I start with Klingon or Romulan Border Reply with quote

I have played SFB for many years. I have reworked rules, SSD's and other aspects of the game to trim it down and make it faster so other people would be iterested in playing. It was the only way to get friends to play. I have not played in quite some time and just came across FC yesterday. Wow where have I been. My questions: "What should I start with, Klingon or Romulan Border or does it matter?" "Are there scenarios for one person?" "Will the rules that come with the game be the most up to date, like the new FC Reference Rulebook?"

Thanks for any help.

Flux
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Klingons better, order Klingon Border; if you like Romulans better, order Romulan Border. Iirc the rulebooks are identical. Whichever one you get, if you order it direct from ADB, you'll get the new (Rev.5) rules. You can get Klingon Border and Romulan Space, or Romulan Border and Klingon Space, and have everything unique in both Klingon Border and Romulan Border boxes.

Don't have my rulebook with me so I'm not certain, but I think there's a solo scenario in it.

Welcome to the forum!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solo scenario that comes to mind in the standard rulebook is the "training" scenario. There is the solitaire "Intruder" scenario (almost a completely separate game) in the free Communique downloads from the Commander's Circle. Also note there is a free "demo" version of FedCom available ("First Missions") available for download to let you get a feel for the system.

Like Wolverine said, ADB would only ship you a current (rev5) rulebook (and the "rules" portion of the book is identical between Klingon Border and Romulan Border; only the ship descriptions and scenarios change).

What's on you retailers shelf is anyone's guess, but honestly none of the changes in any of the revisions have been anything huge (some folks more picky than I might argue that). The game was perfectly playable and fun right out of the gate with Revision 1, there's just been a lot of clarifications and a few exploit closings.

Just note, there are no Romulan ships in Klingon Border and no Klingon ships in Romulan Border - choose according to your taste (or take Wolverine's advice and buy one and then buy the "Xxxx Space" counterpart ot get all the other non-duplicating stuff).
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save time buy everything!

Seriously, if you are looking to start of with a little bit of everything order the new rule book (which has no scenarios) and a player's reference card along with a couple of boosters with the ships you like. If you don't play with minis, use your old maps and counters or order Module H1(which has all of the ship counters), some of the cool map panels and an ammunition countersheet I would probably also order Captain's Logs 37 & 38 for the Federation Commander content.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, the bosed set I recommend that people start with depends on the preferences of both them and their playing group. If you're partial to Romulans, start with FC:RB. If you like Klingons (or if your group isn't familar with SFB), I'd recommend FC:KB.

While both bxed sets come with the same rulebook, the ships in the FC:KB set require less finesse to learn to fly. Photons and Disruptors (both direct fire weapons) are much easier to learn to use than the 3-turn arming requirements of a seeking Plasma Torpedo.

In your case however, it seems that you are looking for solo scenarios, which leads one to believe that you do not have a current group that could move into FC and want to get your moneys worth from single person play. That being the case, I'll go back to my original suggestion that you select the set that appeals to you and expand from there.

A valuable resource for you to check out in the previously mentioned Commander's Circle. It's chocked plum full of goodies...
41 Issues of Commuique' - the monthly newsletter devoted to Federation Commander. A new scenario and multiple ship cards in each issue
Master Ship Charts
Scenarios
and, what might be of most interest to you... Robot Rules! These rules allow you to play any FC scenario as a one player scenario.

EDIT: Mod: I fixed your formatting. Smile
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
...Robot Rules! These rules allow you to play any FC scenario as a one player scenario.

Duh! I forgot all about the Robot Rules! Been meaning to try those out myself.

Good call, 'dad!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluxCobalt:

See this thread for some one-player scenarios...

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1642
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use the Robot Rules, be sure to get Klingon Border, rather than Romulan Border, as the Robot Rules don't work with plasma. (Well, I suppose you could restrict yourself solely to bolts, but that is a stretch.)

Another advantage to getting Klingon Border over Romulan Border is the empire selection. Romulan Border only includes Feds, Romulans, and Gorns. (And the Feds are all the "war style" versions.) Klingon Border has Feds, Klingons, Kzinti, plus an Orion and Tholian. And, with that Orion, you get the chance to try out plasmas, too!

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional book that might well be worth a look - especially if you have SFB experience - is the recent Briefing 2.

It gives you a wide range of ships from (almost) every faction currently represented in Fed Commander - as they were in their pre-refit state in the Middle Years (roughly 2520-2560, or Y120-Y160 if you prefer).

In contrast, the 'default' setting for other FC modules is the General War-era, more or less (not counting the scenarios set back in M81, the Tholian and Seltorian Home Galaxy).

Most of the ships in B2 are not quite as competitive as the refitted versions shown in other products (nor are they supposed to be) but there are a few units, such as the Light Monitor and Tholian Police Cutter, which more or less work as-is for the later era...

...and, as you might imagine, the rest would provide for interesting match-ups between each other!

(Plus, there are a few hull types, such as the Lyran Royal Panther Early BC, which are exclusive to the Middle Years, and can be found in B2.)
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
An additional book that might well be worth a look - especially if you have SFB experience - is the recent Briefing 2.

It gives you a wide range of ships from (almost) every faction currently represented in Fed Commander - as they were in their pre-refit state in the Middle Years (roughly 2520-2560, or Y120-Y160 if you prefer).

While the full Middle Years runs from Y120-Y160, Briefing #2 only really focuses on the end of that period, basically Y150-Y160.

That said, assuming you already have maps and counters from old SFB sets lying around, and you can live without the mounted map panels, and you don't mind the B&W paper ship cards, AND the pre-refit, pre-war ships interest you, you can get the Reference Rulebook and Briefing #2. This gives a very nice cross-section of the various empires and provides an excellent base to Federation Commander.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Nerroth wrote:

While the full Middle Years runs from Y120-Y160, Briefing #2 only really focuses on the end of that period, basically Y150-Y160.

Well, you can cover a lot of material from in the earlier half of the era with some of the ships listed - the D6, CA, OCA, CS and others were present and accounted for during most of the period.

You might get a little lonely if you like Gorns, but the Four Powers, Feds and Tholians (plus the Orions!) would be quite busy...
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, the Klingon Border and Romulan Border rulebooks are NOT identical.

The RULES are identical, but each book has it's own separate scenarios, background, and ship descriptions. (These are the parts in the rulebooks for Klingon Space and Romulan Space.)
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Klingon. Much easier to play if you start by grasping those rules.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Myself i first started with klingon border then i have added each product by its release. so i would say klingon border Cool
HeyRandy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest FC:KB too - I got it two months ago and its a great starter. I got my Briefing #2 a couple of weeks ago and its an awesome value with tons of ships.

Due to the recent "vigorous" discussion regarding fighters, I ordered and just got my first Captain's Log (#37) so I could consider adding that element to my games too.

Laughing

With these components, I have run a bunch of games so far and have really enjoyed the game as I too am a former SFB gamer from the 80's...

I plan to pick up the Romulan sets at ORIGINS this month!

www.acmeterrain.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: