Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Popularity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inari7
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Popularity Reply with quote

Federation Commander has been out for more then three years so what game system is more popular now.

Is FC more popular, becoming less popular or leveling out?

Is SFB loosing popularity, staying the same, or becoming more popular?

If FC becomes much more popular what happens to SFB?

Discuss!

Smile

(Iggy Pop)
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Popularity Reply with quote

Inari7 wrote:
Federation Commander has been out for more then three years so what game system is more popular now.

That will ultimately be one for SVC and Co. to answer, but at our not-so-FLGS, Fed Comm out sells SFB 10 to 1... but there is still a massive fan base of SFB players out there.
I know of 20 SFB players within 25 miles of my house, but only 10 or 12 Fed Comm players in the same radius. Over half of the SFB players purchase everything for SFB that is released, whether they are currently active SFB players or not... Fed Comm on the other hand has not developed such an active purchasing base around here. Many of the one's that play Fed Comm only play with someone else's stuff - they have not purchased a set of their own.

Inari7 wrote:
Is FC more popular, becoming less popular or leveling out?

Hard to say, but again - I can only provid you with apochryphal data from our area. I speak to the owners of both of our local gaming addiction enablers on a regular basis. They currently order 6 copies of each new FC product that comes out. 5 sell immediately, 1 stays on the shelf and is eventualy sold and replaced / sold and replaced / etc. According to them, the market is still growing, albeit at a much slower rate than last year or the year before. How much of this is related to market saturation and how much is related to economic uncertainty is anyone's guess. I know that I have reigned in my gaming spending, although not to the extent my better half would like... ( Rolling Eyes )

Inari7 wrote:
Is SFB loosing popularity, staying the same, or becoming more popular?

That's a really good question, and it's one I do not know the answer to. I just called the owner of one of the local game stoires and asked his opinion. He has sold three; and only three! copies of every SFB product released since the Interrognum. And they've all gone to the same three people.
He keeps one copy of SFB Basic Set and one copy of Advanced Missions in the store... but both copies have a price tag on them printer with a pricing gun he got rid of over 4 years ago. Take that for what it's worth...

Inari7 wrote:
If FC becomes much more popular what happens to SFB?

Steve has said there will always be a SFB. I'd love to see Fed Comm continue to increase in popularity, but Star Fleet Battles will always be here. Think of it as a proving grounds for Federation Commander. Nothing will every appear in Fed Comm w/o hitting SFB first.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked about this in our gaming group. I would think that only a very portion of the SFB/FC gaming group are registered on this forum.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FC sales continue to climb.

SFB says, which had been flat for several years, have climbed steadily since FC was released. Some of that is old SFBers who saw FC, got back into the habit, and bought all of the SFB stuff they missed (whether they play it or not). Some of that is FC players moving up into SFB.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that both product lines are benefiting.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully ST0 will get people motivated... Wink
Requete
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite on topic, but I've noticed that here in the Austin area, nobody seems to stock FC. I think Dragon's Lair sometimes has a copy of Klingon Border (but their stocking/replenishing has gone drastically downhill in recent years in general).

Obviously it would be a huge help if FC could be more visible.

----

Pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy:
http://www.catholicity.com/prayer/divinemercy.html
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requete, you can always do two things to make FC more visible.

1. Run demo games using First Missions, if the store has a play area. Say, 1/month or six weeks. Take a while but you'll get results.

2. Harass the retailer to keep it in stock.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
FC sales continue to climb.

SFB says, which had been flat for several years, have climbed steadily since FC was released. Some of that is old SFBers who saw FC, got back into the habit, and bought all of the SFB stuff they missed (whether they play it or not). Some of that is FC players moving up into SFB.

Now that latter really is interesting. And I am pleased too Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: