Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omega General Discussion thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Omega General Discussion thread Reply with quote

Hi.

Rather than continually mention aspects of this not-quite-so-distant Octant in some other topics - something I may have to apologise in advance for doing so in the future (though I'll try not to go overboard) I figured I'd kick-start a thread intended to help explain what all the fuss is about!

To those of you who are unfamiliar with the setting, the Omega Octant is a region of the Milky Way galaxy lying 'east' of the Inter-Stellar Concordium, which is divided from the furthest edge of ISC space by a (mostly) impassable Void.

Omega's history is divided up into Cycles - eras which are defined by some of the most dramatic events, the most prominent power blocs, the ebb and flow of empires, and the crashing wave of outside invasions.

And key to the story of Omega is a cast of species, and a host of technologies, unlike anything found in the Alpha Octant.

The Mæsron Alliance, formed by a union of mammalian life-forms, and incorporating many new member species over time, is arguably the most prominent player on the Omegan stage. Relying on wide-angle phasers, flexible tachyon guns and massive tachyon missiles, the Alliance proved victorious in the first Great War to be waged in Omega, rising to an unmatched height. Yet, became unbalanced through internal strife and division, then went on to collapse into a remnant core territory in the midst of a bitter civil war. However, a re-born Alliance, in partnership with a somewhat familiar-looking set of 'blow-ins', would go on to not only re-emerge as a stable power, but return to prominence during the aptly-titled Mæsron Renaissance.

The Trobrin Empire, perhaps the most powerful and long-lasting of the Mæsrons' rivals, is comparised of a highly-adaptable silicoid race, and predicated on the eventual fulfilment of a 'Silicate Plan' - the eventual domination of the Milky Way galaxy. However, despite having some of the most powerful warships and weapons in the Octant, armed with dangerous radiation phasers and powerful implosion bolts and torpedoes, the Trobrin have never quite been able to make the most out of their lofty ambitions.

Venturing into the fray from their distant Cluster (which lies beyond the Milky Way galaxy proper) come the Questing Knights of the Iridani Kingdom. Party-loving space-otters bound by strict codes of honour, these adventurers often seek to fulfil the terms of their Quest, using highly modular ships armed with wide-angle phasers, focused energy beams, and target illuminators. Quests may vary from hunting down space monsters to duelling Omega starships to providing succour to a plague-stricken colony world. Their greatest tragedy, and triumph, would come in the wake of the Andromedan invasion, where they fought both to liberate their home Cluster from Andromedan occupation, but to take the fight back to the Invaders in Omega proper!

Stuck in the midst of this strange and alien corner of the galaxy is the Republic (later Federal Republic) of Aurora. Initially a Federation colony whisked by an unusual anomaly to Omega space in 2530, the Aurorans used the Terran-hull CLs and POLs in their possession as the basis for an entire fleet of starships. These were added to in the 2570s and onwards, as Klingon, Lyran, ISC and Mæsron technologies became available to the FRA... all of which they would sorely need in the face of their various foes.

There are dozens of other species and factions to be found, not least the Vulpa (one of the founding members of the Alliance, but who went their own way in the aftermath of the Civil War - and whose later ships are yet to be formally published) the Loriyill (an ancient færie-like race, who fly ships of light which look like angelic butterflies) and Souldra (a terrifying species of energy beings from a dark matter dimension, who come to our reality in crystalline warships to drain entire worlds of all life) - but I hope this little glimpse proves to be of interest.

So, if anyone has questions, comments, or any other things to do with Omega, please post away!

NOTE: This thread is intended more for general discussion, hence the title - more in-depth rules and playtesting discussions should go into the conversion project thread.
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, to kick things off, my favorite looking Omega ship is the Chlorophon Great Oak Cruiser. Kind of reminds me of one of the races in an animated episode. I like the concept. Go Treebeard!

The Vari always remind me of the spider level in the TRON game for some reason.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malleman wrote:
Okay, to kick things off, my favorite looking Omega ship is the Chlorophon Great Oak Cruiser. Kind of reminds me of one of the races in an animated episode. I like the concept. Go Treebeard!

Indeed - those Mæsron member species are so very small...

Quote:

I can remember the light-cycles, the sailing lightship, and the flying tank-things - but spiders?

*memory draws a blank*
Godeke
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Quote:

I can remember the light-cycles, the sailing lightship, and the flying tank-things - but spiders?

*memory draws a blank*

The arcade game does have a spiders hatching from eggs level.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godeke wrote:
The arcade game does have a spiders hatching from eggs level.

Duly noted, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: