Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Large Civilian Cruise Liner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Large Civilian Cruise Liner Reply with quote

I was looking at the Large Civilian Cruise Liner SSD from R8 and I noticed the little box in the left corner that adds a security box to Klingon Cruise Liners.

I thought Klingons would just use a freighter with metal bunk beds in the cargo holds. What would they need with a Cruise Liner?

I will have to ask Hod’Kel to translate "Captain Stubing" into Klingon.

IKV Pacific Princess. Haa!

I don’t think Julie McCoy would last long on a Klingon Cruise Liner. “Blood-wine now being served on the Lido Deck.”

I could go on and on with these but I won’t.

My apologies for this post to Hod'Kel.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Large Civilian Cruise Liner Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
I was looking at the Large Civilian Cruise Liner SSD from R8 and I noticed the little box in the left corner that adds a security box to Klingon Cruise Liners.

I thought Klingons would just use a freighter with metal bunk beds in the cargo holds. What would they need with a Cruise Liner?

I don’t think Julie McCoy would last long on a Klingon Cruise Liner. “Blood-wine now being served on the Lido Deck.”

You're forgetting the elite...
Even in the Klingon Empire, 5% of the populace has 90% of the money. The well-to-do of the Klingon Empire expect a certain level of service, even when on vacay...
Or course, the freighter will be crewed by certain memebrs of the various "subject races" and those will require ESS seciruty staff to prevent untoward events...

And there's also going to be the decedent members of the Federation elite who think it's a status indicator to take a tour of Klingon space on a Klingon Cruise Liner...
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the Soviet Union made 5% of its foreign exchange profits from Western tourists. I can remember the jingle...

See the U-ka-raine....
From a cattle train....
The Master
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elite in Klingon society would have there own warship. Based on there level most likely up to a D 7. Bigger the dog, bigger the ship. When traveling in groups the highest would let the little dogs share his ride just to let them know who is who. This would be justified as National Guard ties. In a warrior society fancy dose not impress or create followers. That only works in our decadent society. Very Happy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master wrote:
The elite in Klingon society would have there own warship. Based on there level most likely up to a D 7. Bigger the dog, bigger the ship. When traveling in groups the highest would let the little dogs share his ride just to let them know who is who. This would be justified as National Guard ties. In a warrior society fancy dose not impress or create followers. That only works in our decadent society. Very Happy

This doesn't jive with the "fluff" from the various Prime Directive: Klingons books.

The cost of constructing a warship type starship would put it out of range of all but hte Bill GAtes and Warren Buffets of the Klingon Empire... and even they would have dificulties getting some of the military grade technologies... and getting time in the military slipyards (After all, you cna't just build an F5...).

Raed the fluff in PD: Klingons and you'll see thatsome of the warrior colonies will sponsor the building of a particiualr warship... but not a single individual.
The Master
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read so much fluff I can no longer keep it straight. I just through it in a pot and speculate on it. Its like the Ruffles have ridges but Klingon's do not except on Tues. My speculation is that a planetary Governor Head of house (you know who) with a NG command would maybe have a old D 6 as command ship for the sector. Maintained by the empire but used as a private transport to impress the lesser houses that visit. I may be wrong but Oh well. It's a Game and it's fun to imagine Very Happy I just cannot imagine a Klingon Cruse line. Smile
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warships cost to much to operate to be "protected yachts". Even in modern-times, the ultra-rich do not cruise around in frigates or corvettes; they have yachts (which sometimes have some military protection bolted-on, but lack military damage-control and structure).
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Klingon luxury liner Shocked

Imagine Disneyland built by the North Koreans.

"Waiter, there's a fly in my soup!"

"Please be quiet comrade, or everyone else will want one. Protein is scarce..."
SWO_Daddy
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Imagine Disneyland built by the North Koreans.

I don't need to imagine it...it exists, and its Tholian...

Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel
That's a start. There are tons about it on the internet. Enjoy! Oh...and all hail the Klingon Empire!
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice ship! Is it a disruptor armed PC? The tip kind of gives it away.

What colors are you going to use on it? Very Happy
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's no PC.

You can see the start of the rear hulls - most of it is out of sight underground...that's a Dreadnought.

What will the Seltorians do when they find out that the Tholians have a shipyard on Earth? Hopefully, they'll stop at glassing North Korea...

Seriously, excellent photo and a fascinating story, I'd never heard of that building.
SWO_Daddy
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry...to pull everyone, kicking and screaming, back to the actual topic...

The Soviet Union actually had something of a cruise industry. Not particularly successful by western standards, but it did exist. Found this interesting website: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/SovietPCs1.html

Based on what I've read of SFU history covering the periods of relative peace between the fighting we all know and love, it seems commerce did travel with relative freedom across borders (subject to typical customs/ import/immigration regulation of course). If goods could be moved for a profit, why not "people". In peace time, Klingon cruise liners might operate both within, and outside Klingon territory, carrying not only Klingons, but subject races and/or "foreigners".

Its interior would be distinctly Klingon of course, suitable both to remind Klingons and Subjects travelling abroad of where there loyalties lie, and to impress foreigners with the "wealth" and prestige of the Empire. It would serve the purpose of raising capital, and muscle in on the foreign cruise liner markets.

I could also see the ship serving a more devious purpose. The establishment of a normal "legit" cruise line across the Klingon border would create opportunities for the infiltration of agents into other empires. Likewise, it might create a ready pool of foreign "hostages" in the event of a crisis with another empire. Finally, it could serve as an intel collector, moving more freely to foreign ports of call than other ships with a large number of eyes and ears, gathering information on the planets of potential enemies.

Which gets you to the security station. I think the security team would serve several funtions, not all of them traditional as Klingon ships go:
1. Keep the crew from jumping ship in a foreign port.
2. Keep an eye on any foreign passengers, both for counter espionage purposes, and as possible targets for exploitation.
3. Support for any covert Klingon agents aboard.
4. Security for the Klingon capital sunking into this seemingly wasteful and risky venture.
5. Security for any high profile Klingon passengers.
6. An obstruction to deter forign customs agents from getting too nosey.
7... I could keep going, but all you need to do is go read a few James Bond novels...

I realise the idea of Klingon Cruise Line seems like a contradiction in terms, but it would have uses. Its funny, I could almost see a piece of fiction based on this outwardly absurd sounding idea.
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty bizzarre looking building.

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a shipyard on earth possibly slid into (in tiny print) the "Friendly empire" staus of the Feds and Tholians?
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Large Civilian Cruise Liner Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what the Klingons would be doing with a cruise liner any? They don't seem to believe in "Club-Med"

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: