Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation & Empire availibility
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warwick
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Federation & Empire availibility Reply with quote

I have been rebuilding my SFB/FC collection having been brought back to the game by FC. I wanted to pick up F&E but it has been out-of-stock for quite some time. Does anyone have more info about when it might be available again?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the counters have been used and ADB's is looking for a new vendor. As soon as the counter situation is resolved, the game will be available again.

I'd be willing to bet tht if you have a FLGS, they can order a copy. Many ofthe major distributors probably still have a copy or two in their warehouse.

Failing that, I know two local game stores with copies. I can pm you with the info in case you'd like to try to order form one of them.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warick, unfortunatley F&E2K has fallen afoul of they company that until recently did the Die Cut Counters. What this means is that SVC has been investigating new suppliers of counters and I think he has found one he likes. In the mean time there may be a few lean months for F&E untill he gets new ones in.

Over on the Legacy Board he said it would be 6 to 18 weeks before ADB rcieves the counter and they may not be ordered until after Orgins so figure you won't see a new production run of F&E untill at least the second week of Augest or as late as the first week of November.

Another thing to bear in mind, while at Orgins SVC and a few others like Chuck Strong will disscuss what to do with F&E and some of the rule updates when ADB gets it counters. So be warned that these dates may slide up or back again because nothng has offically been decided on yet.

The good news is that it look like the counter count is going to go up by 64 ships per sheet due to a change in layout of the Cutting Dies.

EDIT: DAmn you Scoutdad for typing faster than me again....

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's been out of stock for a couple of weeks, not "quite some time", but it will indeed be "quite some time" by the time it's back in stock.

I'm figuring September.

That will include a new rulebook which eliminates the original carrier group system and uses the flexible carrier group system.
Warwick
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a copy on E-bay. I hit each of the expanded expansion on this site along with the laminated 30x70 map. I should be able to get into a lot of F&E mischief in a couple weeks. Smile
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying F&E sometime soon too.

Is there only one edition of the game? And how about expansions? If I buy a game that says it's, say, a 1986 version, is that pretty much the same as a modern version, if any?

Thanks
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 1986 edition and from what snippets I have read, where people have mentioned some aspect of it in respect the more recent version, it sounds like there have been some fairly significant changes, although it sounds fairly similar in principle.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game was printed in 1986. There were new editions in 1989, 1993, and 2000. The next one is 2010, which should appear in September 09.

When it is, the rulebook will be sold as a spare part for a reasonable price.

It's the same basic game, the rules are just cleaned up and clarified and some changes to techniques to make it easier to play and better balanced.

There are a bunch of expansions.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I will therefore most likely wait until the newest version arrives here in the UK.

Thanks Steve Smile
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent news. I've been waiting for an excuse to play F&E again, and a new edition might be just the motivation to get my gaming group to try it out.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just to follow through -- F&E-2010 is on the shopping cart now! It won't ship until March 1, 2010, but I'm still excited!

There are new counters (and more of them!) and a new, 160-page rulebook that (if you purchase it unbound) should be ready for you to interfile new rules.

I know there will be a large-print edition coming out soon.

The F&E staff and the great group of players worked hard on this book. Col. Chuck Strong has refined the SoP; Ryan Opel has worked on the SITs, and the Steves have worked on rules and layout and making the zillions of picky little changes that rules need. It is a good, solid product.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean wrote:
I know there will be a large-print edition coming out soon...

Does the large print edition come with a LSM and 1-inch counters for those of us with "old guy" eyes?
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad, that is something you would have to negotiate with Leanna! Laughing
Sweeper
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy I met over on SFBOL and I are starting to make use of Vassal F&E and we just played the intro scenario last night with a bit of bumbling through the rules and the interface. Both opf us have owned F&E for years, but have never played the game. (We could never get beyond the hunt for the counters phase. Smile ) We're having a few temporary issues as he has the 1986 version of the book and I have the 2000. But we're muddling through it.

Now I just need to find the User submissions email so I can send a request to be allowed to release the F&E Economy Form excel file I just made to the forum.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Submissions should most likely go to SVC (design at starfleetgames dot com).

Not usre if you'll be allowed to release an excel eco form however. I seem to recall a similar issue coming up a coupe of years ago and while I don't recall the reason, I think there was an official reason why such a form could not be released tothe general public.

Now, can you create one for your own use... of course.
In fact, most (if not all of us long time F&E players have our own versions.
the one I currently use has a separate version for each empire, the production schedule/cost is built into the page... as is salvage, XPs, etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: