Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation Command - Klingon Border
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoMc67
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Federation Command - Klingon Border Reply with quote

I will be getting my new copy of FC- Klingon Border next week ( future copies will be Romulan, and Orion Borders, etc ). Are there any updates to download or is my copy going to be up to date.
I also noticed this Communique Section to update the game system. Do I need to download all these Comminque Updates or are they already included in the present game system.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanx
Joe
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communiques always have the latest updates and clarifications, but all those rulings periodically get rolled into the Consolidated Rules Update List (CRUL) (which, like the Communiques, is also available in the Commander's Circle).

If you have a "Revision 5" rulebook, then the material in the CRUL (which dates to 10/08 ) is already in your rulebook. You'd only need updates from Communique from later than that - and nothing truly major has happened in quite a while. Most updates and rulings in Communique are more of a clarification nature or closing exploits and loopholes.

Note that most of those rulings in Communique start out as questions, right here on this board.

Rulings aside, the main reason I read Communique every month is for the new goodies. New and graphically updated ships, a new scenario, etc. - basically, it's a mini-expansion, for free, every month.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Reference Rulebook gives you all the latest rules set combined into one as well. I might recommend looking at that product as well.
JoMc67
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the info guys,
I will especially keep note on the 'Consolodated Rules Update List' vs. my Rulebook Revision.
Will also download each of the Comminique, because some of new ships included.

Thanx
Joe
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you are buying the stuff, but anything that you order form us is Revision 5. anything your store orders for you has about a 90% chance of being revision 5. Anything found on a store shelf, well, probably 66% chance it's revision 5.
JoMc67
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

I ended up ordering mine from an ebay store ( New & Sealed ). I hope its rev 5, but guess I will just have to update if not.

Thanx
Joe
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling the dice is always an option in gaming.
JoMc67
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recieved 'FC - Klingon Border' and its Rev 4, I then updated it to Rev 5 by downloading the latest CRUL ( also downloaded all the Communique ).

Next, I would like to get alittle involved w/ the Romulans & Gorns side of things w/out the purchase of Romulan Border.
Which product should I get if not both; Romulan Space or Romulan Attack, and what is the difference between the two ?

Also, what other modules or products to date should I purchase to make FC pretty much a complete combat game. ( minis other products of FC such as Minis, & the RPG ) ?
I am guessing I need;
Klingon Attack-Space, Romulan Attack-Space, Distant Kingdoms, Orion Attack, ( will probably skip 'Battleships' ) Tholian Attack, and will probably get the Ref Rulebook.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanx
Joe
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romulan Space will give you all the items form Romulan Border that are not already in Klingon Border.

So, if you get Romulan Border, you get 6 more map panels, 16 laminated ship cards, a reference sheet, a Rulebook, and counter sheets.
If you order Romulan Space... you do not get the map panels or the rulebook (although you will get sections 7 -ships and section 8-scenarios)as you already have these from FC: Klingon Border.

Romulan Attack, like it's predecessor "Klingon Attack" simply adds 16 more laminated ship cards and 2 additional map panels. Be aware thatthe 16 ship cards in Romulan Attack are completely different ships than those found in Romulan Border/Space.

After that, to get a complete game, you need:
Klingon Attack - more ship cards and 2 more map panels... and new sections 7 and 8 for the rule book.
Klingon Space - NO! This product is similar to Romulan Space. It is designed for those who've purchased Romulan Border. It gives them the ship cards, counters, and sections 7 and 8 of the rulebook form Klingon Border and you already have that.

Tholian Attack adds Tholian sand Seltorians to the mix, along with Webs, web casters, web breakers, and the infamous Particle Cannon. As well as web map panels.

Orion Attack adds the Orion Pirates to the game and is almost certainly a must.

Distant Kingdoms brings in the Lyrans and the Hydrans, as well as Fusion Beams, Hellbore Cannons, and the ESG field. It also comes with a ringed planet map board and one other terrain board that escapes me for the moment (but will probably be remembered as soon as I click "submit").

edit: AHA! I knew it... as soon as I clicked it... the other map panel is a non-ringed gas giant.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like scoutdad said.

Don't feel like you have to buy anything. FC:Klingon border is a complete game. So is FC:Romulan Border. Everything else just adds stuff to those two "gateway" box-sets (which are in many ways the same thing; just with a focus on a different set of "empires"). If you want to go further (and there is a lot of fun stuff to add), the system is very modular and you can upgrade in any path you want.

One thing to note, each major product ("Border" box-set and "Attack" expansion) has an associated set of "Boosters" which add more copies of the ship cards from that product (handy, if you want to fly 3 Federation heavy cruisers, etc.) and often a "bonus" card of a unique ship not available elsewhere (but without the random placement annoyances of the collectible card games - you know exactly what you are getting, from reading the cover).

A good possible "buying path" could be:
FC:Klingon Border (FC:KB) [you have this]
FC:Romulan Space [like scoutdad said, this gives you everything from FC:Romulan Border (FC:RB), without duplicating what you got in your FC:KB box]
FC:Klingon Attack (FC:KA) [some token new rules and some really good fun ships for Federation, Klingons, and Kzinti, etc.]
FC:Romulan Attack (FC:RA) [some token new rules and some really good fun ships for Federation, Romulans, and Gorns, etc.]
you could easily stop here and have stuff to play for years, with some representation by all the "tv empires" and the majority of the ships for all the big "SFB" empires.

Fun-to-have:
FC:Battleships Attack (FC:BA) [more big ships for pretty much everybody, without any new rules required]
Space Battle Maps box-set [handy, if you like big fights or dislike "leap-frogging" map panels]

Beyond those, things get pretty specialized:
FC:Tholian Attack (FC:TA) All about the "rocks and bugs" (and adds a lot of new rules pages to cover their weirdness).
FC:Distant Kingdoms (FC:DK) Adds the Hydrans and Lyrans, which have their own unique weapons (adding rules to cover them), but less rules and weirdness than the Tholians.
FC:Orion Attack (FC:OA) All about the Orion Pirates, filling out their selection of raiding ships and adding the reclusive WYN cluster.

The path I just listed just happens to be the order things came out in. you can go any which way strikes your fancy.

The Starline minis are a lot of fun (and I'm very partial to them), but not at all necessary - the counters that come with the game are top-notch and work great for playing (and you don't have to assemble and paint them first...).

There are other things to add like the "Briefings" which are books. Briefing #1 had lots of tactics articles, etc., a boat-load of scenarios, and some ships (in black and white; not color cards like the other products, since they are printed on pages of the book). Briefing #2 was focused on the "Middle Years" of the SFU history, with tons of "MY"-versions of ship cards (again, black and white) and scenarios to use them. There's talk of a Briefing #3 sometime in the future.

Also note, FedCom goodies get printed (in black and white) in every new issue of Captains Log that comes out (including some real gems, like the Klingon SD7 Strike Cruiser, etc.).

The other products (Prime Directive RPG's, SFB, F&E, etc.) are totally separate from FedCom. You wouldn't need them for anything, if FedCom is what you want to play. They are their own games, that just happen to use the same "game universe" setting. They can be used together if you want to, but there is no need to.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scout & DJ,
Thanx a great deal for the info, it was very helpful.
Yes, even thou 'Klingon Border' is complete on its own I still like to make it more complete by adding more expansions and the like.

I have a question about my 'FC - Klingon Border'.
I have 6 maps ( with both sides showing different size hexes ), and all of them are duplicate except one ( the one map is showing the ship headings & Shield facings ), is that correct ? ( if so, that is fine )
Duplicate meaning, the maps are exactly all the same including the background and numbers.

I will email this to FC for replacement if indeed I am suppose to get all different maps ( will await answers here first ).

Thanx
Joe
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the maps you should have.

Five "blank" open-space maps and one open-space map with the compass rosettes (ABCDEF, 123456) on it. The letters and numbers help establish directions for scenario set-up, etc., but they are just treated as any other hex once the game is going.

In other products (besides the FC:xx Border box-sets) there are other map panels with various types of "terrain" (planets, asteroid fields, etc.).
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ,
Ok great, atleast I am suppose to have the proper maps.
However, to me it just looks kinda strange having duplicate numbers ( along with a small white hex ) showing over and over again when putting the boards next to each other, but I guess its no big deal.
I can always use the older SFB paper maps ( black hexes with all different numbers ) or the older FASA maps for the big hexes.

Thanx again
Joe
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other maps are all the same (I would imagine) to facilitate packing them. And that way, if some come out defective, it's easy to pack complete sets without having to get 58 map #5s and 47 map #2s and then 103 map #6s. That would cost a lot of extra money.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind, hex-numbers aren't even used in FedCom, just directions and hex-distances. It makes it easier to flop map panels around any way they need to be. Having the hex numbers there does help with counting in cases of "straight up the hex row" distances, so it's kind of handy to have them there in rare cases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: