Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fleet compositions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eblack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Fleet compositions? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has put together fleet compositions for the various races?

In other words, what class of ships were in the Fed #1 fleet, or in the Klingon's Tholian border Fleet and so forth.
Democratus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to check this is to use the Order of Battle lists from the wargame Federation & Empire. It gives the full composition of every border and core fleet for all empires at the start of the General War.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.
Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Here you go.

Just remember, this is the OoB for just as the General War was kicking off. 1) it reflects a moment where pretty much everyone knew it was going to happen (even if officially the Federation was in denial), and 2) as soon as shooting started, central command(s) sent ships to where they thought they needed them at the moment, so it's hard to give a solid OoB for after the commencement of hostilities for each nation.

Still an interesting read.

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
eblack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I didn't even think about F&E... I have an old copy collecting dust which might have the same OoB lists. I am confused by some of the info, but it is a starting place.
eblack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this OoB will no doubt be of immense help, I was wondering if anyone had reconciled this list (or similar) for use with FC? Considering, for example, there are no true carrier/fighter rules for FC, would these ships be replaced and by what?

Secondly, does anyone have a good rule of thumb for forming a strike group, with or without mission type considered? For example: 1 DN, 2 CA, 3 DD, 3 FF or something along these lines?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since FedCom doesn't have all the gritty rules that SFB did regarding fleet mix (S8 rules, "conjectural" ships, etc.), it's pretty-much anything goes, unless the scenario specifies otherwise (or your opponent has a problem with it).

Many ships which were conjectural or extremely rare (Battleships, Fed CS, etc.) are fair-game in FedCom. Definitely a different take on the setting.

With that said, you'll get a bunch of different answers regarding fleet mixes and a given person may give a different answer depending on how high the point value is.

My personal approach is (and bear in mind I only play Fleet Scale, except for single-ship duels at Squadron) is a "high-low" mix.

I like at least one big bruiser to either a) draw their attention and fire onto, or b) give me good crunch firepower (depending on what the opponent does).

Some folks "pooh pooh" the little ships like frigates and only take the biggest things they can afford. I dislike that approach as it limits flexibility more than it gains in concentration. Your mileage might vary.

I find these mixes flexible enough to work against most threats, but they do lack specialization and sometimes aren't the best-pick for unique situations (monsters, etc.).

I keep the proportion of big/small ships roughly the same, but scale the number of ships to hit the point value target:

BIG fights -
1 BB
1 BCH
1-3 BC/CC/CA/CS/CM
1-2 CL/NCL/HD
2-4 DD/DW/FFB/FF/Pol

Big-ish fights:
1 BB or BCH
1-2 BC/CC/CA/CS/CM
1 CL/NCL/HD
1-3 DD/DW/FFB/FF/Pol

Medium fights (by far the most I play):
1 BCH
2 BC/CC/CA/CS/CM/CL/NCL/HD
1-2 DD/DW/FFB/FF/Pol

Small fights:
1 BC/CC/CA/CS/CM/CL/NCL/HD
1-2 DD/DW/FFB/FF/Pol (sometimes a NCL or other small cruiser instead of one of the small boats).
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

While this OoB will no doubt be of immense help, I was wondering if anyone had reconciled this list (or similar) for use with FC? Considering, for example, there are no true carrier/fighter rules for FC, would these ships be replaced and by what?

Most of the variants would simply be replaced by the base hull. Or use the Borders of Madness version if you want. I'd replace big carriers like CVAs, SCSs etc with BBs, as the combat power should be similar. [/quote
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: