Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plasma torpedo question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Plasma torpedo question... Reply with quote

I recently had a situation where my Fed Old CL was running from a Pl-S. When it impacted, I checked and realized the torp had actually died last impulse due to a combination of time and phaser damage. How should one handle the diminution of plasma warheads? Should one check at the end of each impulse (or maybe at the start?) to see if the torp is still viable? (I realize this is not so much a question as a request for advice)

Also, the rules (4J3b) say the the impulse of launch is not included in the calculation of a torp's duration of travel. If a torp is launched on impulse 1, and hits on impulse 3, which column of the strength table is consulted? 2 or 3? The table says "Impulse of Impact" but I'm uncertain whether that means "impulses after launch" or "total lifetime of torp."
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You should probably check each impulse. I would recommend checking at the end of each impulse it fails to impact. If it will do no damage if it impacts next impulse, remove it from the board.

2. If a torp is launched on impulse 1, and hits on impulse 3, use column 2. I would argue that both terms are effectively the same, but by what looks to be your perspective, it is "impulses after launch".

Federation Commander Answer Guy
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see - since plasmas are launched last thing in an impulse, that makes sense.

So...if ships A and B are in the same hex, and B launches a plasma at A, it does not impact immediately even though it is in the same hex as its target. It will impact on the first SubPulse of the following impulse, correct?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct. A seeking weapon cannot impact until it moves.

Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you are moving 24 and a slow drone (speed Cool has just moved and is 1 hex away, you could move into its hex, exit the hex, and move 1 more hex before it could move again?

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was not precise enough in my statements.

A seeking weapon can only impact during a movement sub-pulse. It is not necessary for either the target or seeking weapon to move that sub-pulse.

To directly answer your question, no. If a target enters the hex of a seeking weapon, or if a seeking weapon enters the hex of its target, or if neither move, but are in the same hex, the seeking weapon impacts.

In your example, the seeking weapon impacts the moment the ship enters the hex of the seeking weapon. However, you could completely move around it without getting hit.

The one special case is if enemy ships are in the same hex, one launches a seeking weapon at the other, and the target then moves speed 24+1. That allows it to move out of the hex before getting hit. In pretty much every other situation where a target and seeking weapon share a hex, the seeking weapon impacts.

cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: determination of plasma warhead strength...is this the correct way to calculate it?

1. At the time of impact, consult the table in 4J3b and determine what the strength of the warhead is based on its time on the board.

2. Subtract the damage done by phaser fire from the above number.

The alternative would be to keep a running tally each time the torp is damaged, but that would be a lot of record keeping, and I'm guessing the end result is the same, although I would have to work up a spreadsheet to be sure. Smile
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either method works. The reason for a running tally is so you don't accidentally keep running from a torpedo with no warhead strength left.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: