Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Particle cannons vs disruptors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Particle cannons vs disruptors Reply with quote

Hi.

One thing I've often wondered about is what kind of different options the use of particle cannons on Neo-Tholian hulls offers, relative to the use of disruptors on the same ships.

In FC (as opposed to SFB) what kind of difference, good or ill, does it make for ships using either type of heavy weapon?

Indeed, when taking on a Seltorian ship (the only type of enemy known to have fought against Neo-Tholian ships in both M81 and the Milky Way) how much of a difference does it make to have that battle be in this galaxy, rather than the 'old' one?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impression I get (not from playtest experience, sadly) is that the use of particle cannons on M81 hulls allows for a slight advantage, when trying to keep the range open against a Seltorian (or other) opponent.

With the use of all of those web casters, it can be that bit easier to plink away at range using PC fire. Keeping those shield crackers and Marines at arm's length could be good news.

However, in the Milky Way, it seems that it's a little bit more of an option for the Neo-Tholian to try and close, given the additional damage that an overloaded disruptor does compared to an overloaded particle cannon. However, if the Seltorian is able to make the most of the close range to get some hit-and-run raids in (or worse, make a boarding attempt) at what stage would closing have been a good idea?

I may be wrong, but any suggestions would be welcome.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that PC's can fire twice a turn, and don't cost much energy. And Neo-Tholians Don't need an extra long-range weapon (Distruptor), the Web Fist should be plenty sufficient for dancing (1-3 hit at 20 range? I'll take it).
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garry, I think you'll find the answer is "not a whole heck of a lot of difference". Although in FC, the disruptor is IMO much superior to the Particle Cannon. When flying Selts, I will often ignore the PCs and shield crackers in favour of the phasers.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
Garry, I think you'll find the answer is "not a whole heck of a lot of difference". Although in FC, the disruptor is IMO much superior to the Particle Cannon. When flying Selts, I will often ignore the PCs and shield crackers in favour of the phasers.

Interesting. I consider the PC better than the disrupter. Pretty subjective I suppose, they are fairly close in effect. One trades slightly higher crunch for less overall damage, though as neither weapon is really crunchy in terms of FC I prefer the one that offers more damage per turn than more damage per volley. The PC is (arguably) the best weapon currently in the game at range 9-15, my main issue with the PC is more that the only race with them have bathtubs for ships.

The last time I was in a Selt I was facing off against a Klink (there were other races/ships as well) and was shredding him at long range, and the PC played a large part in that. The extra crunch of the disrupter at range isn't meaningful, but the constant firing of the PC starts to leave the disrupter ship with a bigger shield problem after a few turns. It was only when he got a chance to close the range without other interference that his superior turn mode and fire arcs gave him an advantage I couldn't beat, that being down to ship characteristics rather than weapon though.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing with Particle cannons? That's an interesting strategy...

And if they really are that good, and you combined them with the Web Fist...

Mabey the M81 Tholians are not bad after all...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: