Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transporters and Boarding Parties
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Transporters and Boarding Parties Reply with quote

Hi guys,

This is my first new post. Kind of exciting. Ok, enough of that. Razz

I understand that sending boarding parties over requires undamaged transporters, power spent to activate them, and both your shield facing the enemy ship and his shield facing you to come down.

When I announce I am using boarding parties, does the enemy ship then have an opportunity to also do the exact same thing? Meaning, is it all simultaneous just like direct fire is for that impulse as well? So if I raid his ship and take out his transporters, if it's simultaneous, he can still beam over and take out a couple of my things as well?

I believe it's all simultaneous, but I thought I'd check in and just make sure.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is simultaneous.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all simultaneous. Also, it is subject to "me-too", so, after you declare you are performing H&R raids, your opponent can decide to join the fun, even though he might not have thought of it before you brought it up.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, he might decide to go over and board you after your hit-and -runs if you're not careful Twisted Evil
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Of course, he might decide to go over and board you after your hit-and -runs if you're not careful Twisted Evil

Well, assuming we are still talking about doing this in the same impulse, do not forget that "me-too" requires the opponent to declare his intentions before resolving anything. So, if I declare I want to do H&R raids on your ship, you have to decide whether you are going to do your own raids (or outright boarding) before you find out if my raids work or not.

However, yes, your larger point is quite valid. A Fed NCL should think long and hard before it tries to do H&R raids against a Klingon D6.

Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
pinecone wrote:

Well, assuming we are still talking about doing this in the same impulse, do not forget that "me-too" requires the opponent to declare his intentions before resolving anything. So, if I declare I want to do H&R raids on your ship, you have to decide whether you are going to do your own raids (or outright boarding) before you find out if my raids work or not.

However, yes, your larger point is quite valid. A Fed NCL should think long and hard before it tries to do H&R raids against a Klingon D6.

Hehe, indeed. Actually, the battle in question was me in a Seltorian and he was the Fed. I should say I was feeling confident.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of that, why do the feds have so few marines? It's not fair Sad
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marines are militaristic, much cheaper to get a redshirt killed, probably use ones that didn't make the promotion list and are scheduled to be booted ---
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
Marines are militaristic, much cheaper to get a redshirt killed, probably use ones that didn't make the promotion list and are scheduled to be booted ---

I'm not the expert on this, but I would guess it's because the Federation races, being mostly human, are the most physically inferior of the other races.

Gorns = Large reptiles
Klingons = Need I say more
Seltorians = Large numbers but insect warriors
Kzintis = Large cats
Lyrans/LDR = Same as Kzintis
Romulans = Vulcan stock
Tholians = Crystal/rock dudes

The only ones we might handle man for man would probably be the Hydrans. Stumpy with 3 tentacles that breathe methane. They just don't scare me that much.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Lyrans are human sized, not Kzinti sized.)

I don't know. Most boarding combat is going to be fought muzzle-to-muzzle, not blade-to-blade or hand-to-hand. As such, hand phasers/hand disruptors tend to be big equalizers.

I just think that the Federation deemphasizes marine contingents on their ships. They aren't "wimpier fighters" or anything. They just don't keep as many permanently stationed on their ships.

And, quite frankly, in my example, an NCL has sufficient marines to repulse a boarding attempt by a D6 (or D7). Unless, of course, he starts throwing them away in H&R raids. (I do admit that a Seltorian would be scarier in that regard. Better hit them hard enough to get rid of some transporters!)

Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that modern (or future) warfare would really minimize the physical strength and abilities of the various races. However, if my memory serves me still, I remember years ago the explanation for the Gorns' large boarding party numbers, in SFB, was due to their physical superiority to the Feds. Again, that was 15+ years ago, so I might be mistaken.

I like the thought that perhaps the other races place more emphasis on marine training while the Feds are in philosophy and cultural integration classes. Very Happy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "emphasis" thing is definitely what I have taken from the other SFU materials.

Klingons *love* marine combat (obviously) and tailor their ships to facilitate it (lots of marines and lots of transporters to deploy them).

Gorns have a penchant for ground combat and tend to have lots of shuttles and a good amount of transporters to move those lizards around so they can hiss at you up close and personal.

The Federation's "gimmicks" went other directions. Where the Klingons put on lots of transporters, Feds have lots of labs. The benefits don't really show all that well in a combat-simulation game (other than the occasional monster scenario). You can see it in the strategic games like F&E, where the Federation economy crushes all others once it gets going (those labs are much better at making opportunities to make money).
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
(I do admit that a Seltorian would be scarier in that regard. Better hit them hard enough to get rid of some transporters!)

Raid! Kills bugs dead. Beam over some foggers Wink
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that Marines and transporters tend to be inversely proportional to the ship's crunch power. Selts/Klinks/Zin = low crunch = lots of Marines. Feds/Hydrans/Gorns = High crunch = few transporters (although the Gorns and Hydrans get decent numbers of Marines).
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorn have lots of marines because a "Marine equivalent unit" is made up of fewer Gorn than it would be if it were made up of, say, humans. The Gorn have similar numbers of marines on their ships as the other races do by and large, but they're arranged in more teams. The Kzinti marine teams also represent smaller numbers of marines than the teams for other races do.

I've no idea why the Hydrans would have more marine teams. They're the weakest race in the game, so you're probably looking at an awful lot of marines represented there.

And even in the future as represented by the game setting, size and physical strength make a difference. If your phasers aren't set to "Disintegrate" (always a dangerous setting when you're inside your own starship...), then you're going to be getting shots that injure the target but aren't immediately life threatening. A bigger, stronger individual is more likely to be able to walk (or in some cases, limp) away from something like that instead of curling up on the floor and going fetal.

Remember - the REALLY dangerous weapons are weapons that you don't want to use inside of the sealed environment of a starship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: