Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rescue the Supply Tug (Communique #44) Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Rescue the Supply Tug (Communique #44) Questions Reply with quote

I just finished reading over Communique #44 and really liked seeing the scenario Rescue the Supply Tug (8CM32) as it is one of my favorite SFB scenarios. I wanted to mention a few points that I think should be considered before the scenario is formally published in a future product:

1. The tug should probably be restricted to no acceleration while suffering the effects of the malfunction. As written, the tug can plot base speed of 8 and then accelerate, effectively going speed 16. Note that this also allows the tug to effectively go speed 8 *and* make a repair attempt on the malfunction.
2. The biggest issue is using evasive maneuvers. In FC, evasive maneuvers make the ship immune to tractor beams and transporters, which effectively makes the Klingon task of capturing the tug impossible (at least, until they have caused major damage to power systems). A good option would be to restrict the tug from being able to use evasive maneuvers while suffering from the malfunction. Actually, we choose to prevent the tug from ever using evasive maneuvers (making up a reason about the delicate nature of it's cargo).
3. Since the FC scenario uses a fixed map, there is nothing preventing the tug from immediately moving an effective speed of 16 and disengaging. The original SFB scenario used a floating map.
4. The original SFB scenario appeared in module S2, not S1.

I'm certainly not trying to sound overly critical at all (again, I love this scenario), I just wanted to point out some issues that I think should be addressed before formal publication in the future. Please let me know if there is a more appropriate place to post this feedback. Thanks,

Garrett
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save this lazy oik having to look, does anyone know where the Tug ship card is to be found, please? Wink
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same new Communique as the scenario.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Fed tug, dj Wink
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And found it - in Booster #91 apparently. On my wish list.....
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a version published in Comm#38.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad (I had just read the alternate Force Dynamics ship listing for the scenario in Comm#44). But yes, the Fed Tug is also available in Communique (an Early Years version though, IIRC).
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS wrote:

That was the LTT. A tug is better Smile . (I've used them both once, but the Tug from Booster 91 is so much more awsomer!)
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another big difference between the FC version of this scenario and the original SFB version is the fact that in SFB the tug would only be able to accelerate to double or +10 its current speed if the warp engine is fixed. In FC, as soon as the left engine is fixed, Varoom!, there it goes.

I also agree that the speed of the tug should be limited to 8, that it should not be allowed to accelerate until the warp damage is repaired, and that it should not be allowed to conduct evasive maneuvers.

Another more challenging way to accomplish this is to have all warp power to have failed. Then it would only have its impulse (4), reactor (1), and batteries (2). If it started with the batteries drained, that would take care of any special rule about evasive. With only 5 power it could not pay the normal cost of 6 to do EM.

Paul did a nice job of converting this one. I had totally forgotten about it!

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
OGOPTIMUS wrote:

That was the LTT. A tug is better Smile . (I've used them both once, but the Tug from Booster 91 is so much more awsomer!)

No, the Tug is in Communique #38. The Fleet Scale LTT was in Communique #27 and the Squadron Scale card was in Captain's Log #38.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS wrote:

Thanks, OG - that's the one! Smile
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed of the tug doesn't really bother me as the Klingons can still win by points if they can't slow it down enough.

However, capture of the Tug is very difficult if it is able to use EM and thus leads to the klingons only being able to win by victory points. So the one change I'd like to use is no EM for the tug (before or after repairs).

The two reasons above may seem contradictory, but what I mean is that movement doesn't prevent winning by capture or by points, EM does.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eblack wrote:
The speed of the tug doesn't really bother me as the Klingons can still win by points if they can't slow it down enough.

However, capture of the Tug is very difficult if it is able to use EM and thus leads to the klingons only being able to win by victory points. So the one change I'd like to use is no EM for the tug (before or after repairs).

The two reasons above may seem contradictory, but what I mean is that movement doesn't prevent winning by capture or by points, EM does.

I think they are both vitally important. Part of the huge penalty with the malfunction was that the tug couldn't go any faster than speed 8 (and if it wanted to attempt a fix, it couldn't go faster than 1). Now, it can effectively go speed 16, use EM, and almost disengage (because it was changed to a fixed map) all on the first turn, before the Klingons can even touch it. Unless I'm missing something?

Garrett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: