Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booster 91 Bash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Booster 91 Bash Reply with quote

When my copy of booster 91 arrived, Me and my dad were so pumped, (He was around when the technical manual came out) we decided to do a scenario with just ships from it. I was using the CAR (USS Constitution), DD (USS Saladin), and MY TUG with one pod (USS Ptolemy). He was using the DN (USS Bastion) and a MY SC (USS Seeker) (We deleted the drone and ph-3's)

Turn 1: Both of my dads ships were speed 16, mine were speed 8. All of the ships with photons used pre-game arming. The turn was rather uneventful, at the end phaser fire hit me for 8 damage and I hit him with 1 (due to the Special sensors), which he reinforced away. He launched Suicide shuttles.

Turn 2: I got in range 8 and had my constitution fire all it's photons at the hermes, betting on getting one hit. I was wrong Sad . Then my constitution turned away to reload. I knew I had to neutralize the advantage that the Hermes gave him. I sent my Saladin on a suicide run against the Hermes, which crippled it. In return, my Saladin was gutted. The Ptolemy destroyed the Suicide Shuttles And took minor internal damage frm the DN's phasers leaving it weaponless but still a capable ship.

Turn 3: After using three of the DNs photons, his battlegroup was rather defensless. I knew it was my chance. I rushed in with the Constitution and blew the Hermes up. His Dreadnaught hit me with the las photonand phasers, which did minor internals to me, and a Weakened his forward shield.

Turn 4: The Constitution turned away, and took some fire to the back that didn't pierce the shields. The Ptolemy was flying with the Constitution, but was little help due to the lack of weapons. The DN held it's phtons...

Turn 5: the Constitution and Dreadnaught tookc a pass and the Dreadnaught took minor internals, the CA took more but could still fight.

Turn 6: I had never considered that my dad would risk a second HET. He usually is cautious. But he did, and centerlined my Constitution's rear shield, which was damaged from before. He blew her up. I fired a ph-1 and probe from my constitution, and a probe from my ptolemy, which was with the constitution resulting in 20c damage down a nearly down shield. But it only tickled him, no 1's or 6's in the DAC. I then decided to accept an honorable defeat rather than fighting for 2 more turns, at which point his nearly undamaged DN would destroy my ships completely.

Lessons:
1. The Fed MY DN is seriously under-rated. It has enough power to move and fire all it's weapons overloaded (While all race's DNs of that era could too, for the Feds it's a bigger bonus, due to the sheer power of photons). Don't let it centerline you, or you're dead, dead, dead Twisted Evil .

2. In an even BPV Battle, a fleet with a scout has a huge advantage over a fleet that doesn't.

3. The Tug with one pod is surprisingly good, with a cruiser's energy, move cost, turn mode, and Damaghe control, but much lower BPV and Weapons. Still, it's a great ship in the thick of a battle.

4. Do not underestimate opponents. They get better Smile .

5. Booster 91 is totally beeping awsome! I recommend it to anybody.
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love hearing stories of games. Man, I haven't been able to play for a week and it's driving me nuts. When I saw your post that you had a Booster #91 Bash, I thought it was going to be a negative thing. I'm happy to hear it was not. I haven't received my Booster yet and I'm just hankering to get my hands on it. It seems some of us enjoy driving the classic ships.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't we all... Smile

Have fun with your booster when it arrives. Very Happy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to wait until the 24th when it ships with the covers, but I am looking forward to it. The FJS Tech Manual is a very, very special book to me (genesis of my career) and those ships are what brought me to SFB and FedCom in the first place.

It will be a blast to have "real" cards for the "lollipop" DD and classic DN and especially to have the Tug (I've used a homemade Tug card for quite a while now, but a real one is so much better).

Tug scenarios can be a lot of fun. A Tug isn't just a target with a pop-gun like a freighter, but it isn't a real warship either. That "in-between" uniqueness of them makes them different, and different is good.

Sounds like you and your dad had a good time. That's the tricky thing with gaming opponents... they get better every time you play them.
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
Tug scenarios can be a lot of fun. A Tug isn't just a target with a pop-gun like a freighter, but it isn't a real warship either. That "in-between" uniqueness of them makes them different, and different is good.

Well, that is true for some of the tugs (like the Feds'). However, go take the Klingon T7 (in Communique #44) for a spin and you will see that some tugs actually have some real teeth ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted, but she has a destroyer's teeth on a hull as big (and lumbering) as a CA. So, pretty different. Typical of the Klingons though - they don't set out to make a Tug, they make a Battle-Tug, right out of the slips.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real teeth, but small teeth

About the size of this smiley: Smile
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Booster 91 Bash Reply with quote

Glad to see you took them for a spin and had a great time. I'm looking forward to ordering these too. And playing some middle years scenarios.

pinecone wrote:

1. The Fed MY DN is seriously under-rated. It has enough power to move and fire all it's weapons overloaded (While all race's DNs of that era could too, for the Feds it's a bigger bonus, due to the sheer power of photons). Don't let it centerline you, or you're dead, dead, dead Twisted Evil .

I'd have to agree. I've had a custom laminated communique card for a couple years now, and it's a beast. It might just have a cruiser's armament, but it's really well shielded and has tons of surplus power. A bit weak in the rear arc coverage, but that's (older Smile) Fed's for you. Heck, if not for it's abysmal turn mode, you might call it an early years X-Ship! (At least in terms of power and shielding Wink)

It's not until you start dueling with other race's DNs that it's faults come out, and you realize it flies more like a heavy battlecruiser (with a worse turn mode).

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power surplus just means so much more to the Feds, who are often short on power but do a lot of damage anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: