Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Andromedans and new Aliens Questions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Steve Cole
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Oct 2006
Posts: 3086

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me make sure you get a grip on the Galaxy Quest deal.

I'm sure somebody has done an SSD for this. In fact, I'm sure more than one has been done. I bet you could find it on Google in two or three tries.

The problem is that such an SSD is illegal on two counts. One, it's a derivative of SFB and therefore requires our permission which we would not give because, two, it violates the copyright of galaxy quest.

Lots and lots of fanboys have done lots and lots of illegal but widely available SSDs for lots of things.

It is our policy not to facilitate people breaking the law. It's not (in this case0 just a matter of our policy preventing the mention of perfectly legal stuff. (For example, we prohibit links to porn sites, which are mostly legal.) In this case (Galaxy Quest), we're prohibiting you from breaking the law on our BBS. It's not a matter of us being mean (as we are when we prohibit you from linking to legal porn sites, or legal political sites).
_________________
The Guy Who Designed Fed Commander
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dan Ibekwe
Commander


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 452
Location: Manchester UK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to cobble together an Andromedan FC ship card (I was going to use the Krait since it's available on the web already, rather than using something out of a printed module) and some proposed rules, could I post it here?
_________________
We are Hydrans! NO ONE LIKES US!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mjwest
Commodore


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 3496
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Ibekwe wrote:
If I was to cobble together an Andromedan FC ship card (I was going to use the Krait since it's available on the web already, rather than using something out of a printed module) and some proposed rules, could I post it here?

No.

In general, you may not post an FC version of an existing SFB ship. You may only post FC ship cards that are your own invention (either a new empire, or an existing SFU empire). As discussed above, you may not post an FC version of someone else's intellectual property (whether Star Trek related or not).

The Andromedans are a bit tricky, however, as their rules are completely undefined. Since their rules will heavily influence how their ship card will look, I have to recommend that they stay private. If you want to propose rules (which would at least be the third such set I know of), please simply email them to Steve Cole. When Steve is ready to provide playtest rules, he will do so.
_________________

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dan Ibekwe
Commander


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 452
Location: Manchester UK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'm short of free time for the next couple of weeks, but if I do get it done, I'll email it to SVC.

Glad to hear there are other irons in the fire already.
_________________
We are Hydrans! NO ONE LIKES US!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Let me make sure you get a grip on the Galaxy Quest deal.

I'm sure somebody has done an SSD for this. In fact, I'm sure more than one has been done. I bet you could find it on Google in two or three tries.

The problem is that such an SSD is illegal on two counts. One, it's a derivative of SFB and therefore requires our permission which we would not give because, two, it violates the copyright of galaxy quest.

Lots and lots of fanboys have done lots and lots of illegal but widely available SSDs for lots of things.

It is our policy not to facilitate people breaking the law. It's not (in this case0 just a matter of our policy preventing the mention of perfectly legal stuff. (For example, we prohibit links to porn sites, which are mostly legal.) In this case (Galaxy Quest), we're prohibiting you from breaking the law on our BBS. It's not a matter of us being mean (as we are when we prohibit you from linking to legal porn sites, or legal political sites).


I completely and utterly agree with those reasons.. and no mean angst was felt in your ample explanation.. thanks..

it's not easy to come to a new forum or site and understand all the ins and outs with respect to how the copyrights and lega issues work.. I myself have many copyright issues I have to deal with in creating and being part owner of our own comic book company..(fledgling at that)

so I'm clear, and down..

thanks again. Very Happy
_________________
Live Long, Prosper, and Party!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nerroth
Captain


Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 1575
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starsuperion wrote:
what are the races in the magellenic cloud?


To expand on Scoutdad's answer, the Lesser Magellanic Cloud is (at least prior to the Andromedan conquest) divided into three large empires and several smaller factions.

The 'big three' are the Baduvai (1200kg beaked quadrupeds) Eneen (lemur-like mammals) and Maghadim (insectoids, divided into sub-castes). The first two control the 'main area' of the Cloud proper, staring across a Line of bases in the south while divvying up two provinces in the north as the Neutral Worlds. Within the Core, the Maghadim are poised for outwards expansion, hoping to turn the Neutral Worlds into a beach-head into the wider Cloud... when they aren't killing each other en masse, that is.

Smaller factions include the Uthiki (space-squids who live on gas giants) and the Jumokians (reptilians). The Uthiki did their own thing before allying with the Baduvai, but were ruthlessly hunted down by the Andros. The Jumokians used to run their own trading empire, but were subverted by the Eneen, who had once been their 'partners' in said endeavour.

Other factions include the Jindarians, who have 2-3 Caravans wandering around the Cloud, as well as the Yrol (who use cyborg ships made partly out of captured space creatures) and Chomak (who live in a cluster removed from the Cloud proper, and were the last power to be conquered by the Andromedans). So far, the Jindarians are only available in SFB, and no data on the Yrol and Chomak exists in print.

Oh, and if you're interested, a timeline of the Cloud is here.

Quote:
I've seen some images somewhere of some kind of battle with an andro ship, what are the races called that are in that image??


If you're not referring to the images set in Alpha, there is this - a battle between the Andros and an alliance of two Omega empires, the Mæsron Alliance (in red) and Koligahr Solidarity (in blue) - and this - a scene also showing a Baduvai (silver) Eneen (brown) and Maghadim (green) ship.
_________________
FC Omega Discussion (v3)
FC LMC Discussion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG


Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Posts: 80

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Starsuperion wrote:
what are the races in the magellenic cloud?


To expand on Scoutdad's answer, the Lesser Magellanic Cloud is (at least prior to the Andromedan conquest) divided into three large empires and several smaller factions.

The 'big three' are the Baduvai (1200kg beaked quadrupeds) Eneen (lemur-like mammals) and Maghadim (insectoids, divided into sub-castes). The first two control the 'main area' of the Cloud proper, staring across a Line of bases in the south while divvying up two provinces in the north as the Neutral Worlds. Within the Core, the Maghadim are poised for outwards expansion, hoping to turn the Neutral Worlds into a beach-head into the wider Cloud... when they aren't killing each other en masse, that is.

Smaller factions include the Uthiki (space-squids who live on gas giants) and the Jumokians (reptilians). The Uthiki did their own thing before allying with the Baduvai, but were ruthlessly hunted down by the Andros. The Jumokians used to run their own trading empire, but were subverted by the Eneen, who had once been their 'partners' in said endeavour.

Other factions include the Jindarians, who have 2-3 Caravans wandering around the Cloud, as well as the Yrol (who use cyborg ships made partly out of captured space creatures) and Chomak (who live in a cluster removed from the Cloud proper, and were the last power to be conquered by the Andromedans). So far, the Jindarians are only available in SFB, and no data on the Yrol and Chomak exists in print.

Oh, and if you're interested, a timeline of the Cloud is here.

Quote:
I've seen some images somewhere of some kind of battle with an andro ship, what are the races called that are in that image??


If you're not referring to the images set in Alpha, there is this - a battle between the Andros and an alliance of two Omega empires, the Mæsron Alliance (in red) and Koligahr Solidarity (in blue) - and this - a scene also showing a Baduvai (silver) Eneen (brown) and Maghadim (green) ship.


yeah I was referring to the Alpha Octant.. thanks so much my friend..

so there is material out that gives a detailed explanation of the ships and races in the Magellenic and the Omega Octant, that is awesome..

I need to order those items..
_________________
Live Long, Prosper, and Party!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group