Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Klingon Armada is here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be okay to set up a ship request thread, similar to the one up for FC in the general discussion board?

It might be a handy place for people to put what cards they'd like to see in future issues of Captain's Log, or wherever else such cards might find a home, while we wait for each Armada book to hit the shelves...
Requete
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played my first game of this a few days ago. I really enjoyed it. I got to run 2 Fed CAs and a CC against 3 D7s handled by a more experienced opponent. We played the game in around an hour, including me learning the rules from zero.

Both of us ended up making mistakes in allocating fire (overkill) and I made a shield facing mistake. I lost the CC but destroyed 2 D7s... I'd have bagged all 3 without loss had I played a "perfect" game.

The Feds play very similar to FedCom... form a tight gun line, close and hose. The Klingons are a little different, however. I think they probably want to make oblique battle passes and look for an opportunity to swing behind the Feds. I'm very impressed with the Klingon ships... the Disruptor becomes much more effective as enemy shielding becomes less effective.

I like the fact that shields can be penetrated without being brought down... you can take "internals" and still have a reasonable shield on a given facing (though it might be brought down all the way, it just depends on the damage rolls).

I really like the fact that a single player can easily handle 5-6 ships even as a beginner. You could stage some truly awesome battles with this system.

----

Pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy:
http://www.catholicity.com/prayer/divinemercy.html
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played Starmada, but have been curious about it for a long time.

For those who are experienced (even one game!), would 1 on 1 duels be possible and/or desirable with Klingon Armada?

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Requete
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
I've never played Starmada, but have been curious about it for a long time.

For those who are experienced (even one game!), would 1 on 1 duels be possible and/or desirable with Klingon Armada?

In general I would say that a 1 on 1 duel is a suboptimal use for the system (after all, duels and small squadrons is where FedCom shines), but it would depend on the matchup. A classic Fed CA vs Klin D7 would work. A Fed FFG vs Klin F5 would not, simply because they would blow each other up on a single salvo.

The way a turn works is like this:
1. You plot your movement (simultaneous)
(if you just write "3", that means 3 forward; if you write "3 S 2 P 1" that means move 3 forward then turn one facing to starboard then move 2 hexes then turn one facing to port and move one hex... there are a few limitations based on your thrust rating but it's pretty easy)

2. Resolve movement (simultaneous... now you get to see what just happened!)

3. Fighters/Drones move (drones use the fighter rules and come in flights)

4. Combat phase (alternate declaring targets and resolving shooting)

5. End phase (damage from this turn takes effect now; plus you do stuff like boarding parties at this point)

So you'll plot your movement in secret, then there's the 'big reveal', then you go back and forth picking a ship to fire and resolving its fire but the shooting is technically simultaneous... damage doesn't take effect until after everybody has fired.

You still have to worry about keeping your strong shields facing the bad guy and keeping your weapons in arc, just like in FedCom. But instead of impulse movement you just plot everybody and then resolve it. So the Chess-like nature of FedCom gives way to anissue of understanding the opponent's intention and reading the tempo of his tactical maneuvers.

I think it definitely shines as a more "big picture" game, dealing with 3 or more ships per side.

----

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need somebody, SOON, to write up a one page "sample game" of Starmada written in a way that somebody who has never read the Starmada rules can grasp how the game works.

Get it to me in a week and I'll print it in Captain's Log. Honor, glory, and a free copy await the successful writer.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told Daniel K earlier that space was reserved for two pages of Starmada ships (which could be four ships) in CL40. (The issue is due to ship on 16 November, so I need stuff by 10 Nov and sooner would be better.) If you guys can decide what you want I can email Daniel the FC card and he can whip it up.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the game that you can use as a strategic movement/campaign system, and then fight the actual tactical actions using Fed Comm rules/sets?

Or am I thinking of something else?
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, you're thinking of Federation Admiral by Victory By Any Means Games. Klingon Armada is a SFU based version of the Starmada game.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, that was it. Thanks Tony Smile
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, Tony.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requete: Thanks for the reply. I think I understand it a lot better now.

Another question, if I may...

About how many hexes do typical cruisers move per turn? I think I remember somewhere seeing that ships are given a movement allowance. I guess that would totally change things from Federation Commander. In FedCom a ship can use a lot of energy for movement and little left for other interesting things.

And, are there "turn modes" in Starmada?

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not totally familiar with Starmada/Klingon Armada, but from what I understand, you don't have to choose between movement and fire in KA. All ships can fire all weapons every turn*. There are no turn modes. Ships have movement points but turning costs movement points, so a ship with more movement points can turn more often (I think... not sure on this one, you may be limited in the number of turns you can do in one movement phase.)

*Some weapons may have a "slow-firing" special rule, IIRC overloaded photon torpedoes cannot be fired every turn.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry there is an option for using movement points but the main system is an inertia movement system where each ship receives a Thrust Rating and your movement orders (all movement is preplotted unless using the sequential movement option) must be equal to or below that requirement, for example to make a single turn port or starboard the SPEED from this turn or your previous turn (whichever is greater) is your Thrust requirement, if this exceeds your Thrust rating your movement orders are not valid.

So for example your ship has a thrust requirement of 6 and last turn you moved four hexes. This turn you want to move 3 hexes straight turn to port and move 3 more hexes for a total move of 6 hexes. You would compare this turns move with last turns to see which "speed" is greater last turn was 4 this turn is 6 so 6 is your Thrust Requirement, as your ship has a Thrust Rating of 6 you are just at your thrust limit and these are legal orders.

The movement is complicated at first but once you play it even once it becomes much simpler.
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A functional understanding of Starmada can be achieved by reading the basic rules, posted online here:

http://www.mj12games.com/starmada/SAEdemo.pdf

Requete
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Requete: Thanks for the reply. I think I understand it a lot better now.

Another question, if I may...

About how many hexes do typical cruisers move per turn? I think I remember somewhere seeing that ships are given a movement allowance. I guess that would totally change things from Federation Commander. In FedCom a ship can use a lot of energy for movement and little left for other interesting things.

And, are there "turn modes" in Starmada?

Cruisers typically fall in the 5-6 range for Thrust Rating. This means among other things that if you want to significantly change your heading you will have to move at this speed or less (you can only turn one hex side if you moved within the Thrust rating last turn and this turn; turning two hex sides in one direction is even more stringent). Though you can adjust your heading (turn starboard and later turn back port, or vice versa) fairly easily even at fast speeds.

----

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: