Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TK7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWO_Daddy
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built mine by cutting the boom off a F5 (obviously) and by cutting about the rear 3rd off a PC. I kept a little "extra" hull on the "top" hull section of the Tholian piece, and did a little shappng to angle it into the hull. Could have gone with a more "straight" cut, but I thought it would look ugly. I guess if you wanted the Tholian bow to be a little smaller, just cut more off, but overall I've always been pretty happy with mine.

I'd make a master myself, but my track record with masters surviving the molding process is not good.

Last edited by SWO_Daddy on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:

scoutdad, I would like to see that mini. SWO's looks good but it appears to be 75% tholian and 25% klingon while the SSD looks to be closer to 50/50.

The mini is about 80% complete. Just waiting on the epoxy to cure so I can mix a bit of green stuff to fill in the joints and resculpt the detailed that were obscured/destroyed/removed by the cut/file process.

My mini looks very close to Jeremy's...
I cut the boom off the F5 and filed down the nubs...
Then I handi-tacked a Tholian Command module to the front. That didn't quite look right.
Next, I filed the rear of a PC flat and handi-tacked it into place. Looked better, but still silly.
Finally, I followed Jeremy's concept. I cut the warp engine radiator parts off the two lower wings...
This left a shape that almost matched the width/shape of the F5 rear hull.
I then filed the lower portion of the upper wing to match the contours of the top portion of the F5 rear hull.
A couple of drilled holes later and the two pieces were epoxied together.

I'll "green-stuff" the joints tonight and do final sanding tomorrow after work. Since tomorrow is Columbus Day and the Post Office is closed, it'll be ready to ship when they reopen on Tuesday morning.
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is what I came up with using the existing mini pics..
http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv84/starsuperion/Federation%20Commander/tholianTK7.png

I basically shortened the docking lock from the klingon vessel.. now it looks Very sturdy and looks like the Tholian ship could separate if need be.. I like it this way the best.. but I want to know what you guys think..

to me this is excellent and were I playing the tholians in Fedcom, I'd want one of these, and I can picture that it would be painted in the rusty orange red colors..with some minor detailing..
SWO_Daddy
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it will ever appear in FC, but there is a TK7 in SFB. It appeared in a CL (the last "Stellar Shadows" issue, can't remember the number). The forward section was a Neo, but it had lost its ability to separate. The CWarp from the command module was replaced by other systems. If that's the ship you're trying to duplicate, I wouldn't worry about the ability to separate.

As for looks, I'm torn. I did a very different TK6 years ago as an SFB submission. Ultimately, it wasn't used. The SSD looked OK, but I don't think it would have translated well to an actual mini.

http://jgray-sfb.com/SSDs/Tholian/tk6.gif
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWO_Daddy wrote:
I don't know if it will ever appear in FC, but there is a TK7 in SFB. It appeared in a CL (the last "Stellar Shadows" issue, can't remember the number). The forward section was a Neo, but it had lost its ability to separate. The CWarp from the command module was replaced by other systems. If that's the ship you're trying to duplicate, I wouldn't worry about the ability to separate.

As for looks, I'm torn. I did a very different TK6 years ago as an SFB submission. Ultimately, it wasn't used. The SSD looked OK, but I don't think it would have translated well to an actual mini.

http://jgray-sfb.com/SSDs/Tholian/tk6.gif

that looks cool.. I see what you mean about it translating into a mini, it would look off. But your card skills are impeccable to say the least.

well with the photo work I was doing to the miniature proposal, I basically made the work Wedge was doing into a happy medium..

a Half way point between the two different mini proposals.. I like the left one but it was too simplified to look like a Tholian conversion of a Klingon ship..

but the right one had too much of a connector piece to look viable..

So what i did was to shorten the connection and make the tholian Neo connect via a stable and thick neck..

like i said the one on the left just looked way too simple to be a design i could see working, it was just too plain..

so If I was to do it..

I'd do it with a short stout connection "neck" if you will.. it just looks better..
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starsuperion, I like your version with the shorter neck. I will make up one of each and post a picture.
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
Starsuperion, I like your version with the shorter neck. I will make up one of each and post a picture.

dude!! that is awesome!! let's hope that maybe the fans here decide to go with the short neck connection! cool..

you gonna paint it too?

just wondering.. Very Happy
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I was going to use Tholian Colors for the entire mini.

I believe that when the Hydrans aquired their D7, they repainted the entire ship. Someone corrct me if my facts are wrong.

The WYN repaint their "other race" ships.

I am not sure if the Orions reapinted the hull of their acquired Klingon hull.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
Yes. I was going to use Tholian Colors for the entire mini.

Quote:
I believe that when the Hydrans aquired their D7, they repainted the entire ship. Someone corrct me if my facts are wrong.

I don't think that there's every been an "official" declaration on this, but every "Anarchist" that I've ever seen was completely reapainted in Hydran colors.

Quote:
The WYN repaint their "other race" ships.

Again, no official codification, but everyone that has WYN miniatures repaints the captured/bought/otherwise acquired ships to match their WYN fleet.

Quote:
I am not sure if the Orions reapinted the hull of their acquired Klingon hull.

If you're referring to the OK6, then according to SFU "fluff", it was reapinted many times throughout it's life and every piece of artwork that dopicts its, depicts it as being painted in Orion colors... alhough, I can see a distinct benefit to leaving a complete Klingon warship in it's natural colors if you wanted to attempt to use it for illicit activities.
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I have to say, I would most likely think the Tholians would repaint the ships if not for conformity reasons, but for the beneficial reasons that the paint itself offers..

I'm speaking of the stealth or "some kind of similar property" someone discussed earlier..

plus on a another note.. it would just look way cool!!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tholian TK5 miniature completed and ready to ship to ADB.

I'll take photos tomorrow morning before I ship it out and then will post them tomorrow night.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That took, what, maybe 2% of the bench-time that the Juggy did? Wink Cool Twisted Evil
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was due for an easy one.

Now to crank out a Pegasus...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: