Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vallejo or GW paint colors ships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
striker8
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Vallejo or GW paint colors ships Reply with quote

Hey all

I'm and experienced painter but new to painting SFB/FC mini's.

I've searched here and over at the SFB site and other than general color descriptions I can't seem to find what colors to use from the vallejo or GW ranges and I really don't want to but into a new range if I don;t have to.

I figured out white for my Federation ships but other than that I have no idea what colors out of my massive collection for the other fleets. Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GW Shadow Grey (I think...) for the Klingons, it's a kind of blue-grey colour.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't get the GW primer. I have 2 cans, one old and one new and my paint doesn't cover it well. My next can will be a different brand.
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Primer I have found period is the Tamiya primer..it's expensive about $8.50 a can, but I have found nothing better for minis
striker8
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input I picked up my Klingon box last night so I'll probably go with the shadow grey since I already have it.

As for primer don;t even get me started Razz

For the most part I stay away from GW primers but I will say the new white impressed me the black on the other hand is all but worthless. I'm just waiting for the local wally world to re-stock my favorite 97 cent primer in my opinion it puts everything else to shame.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wally World primer. Funny you should say that, but that's the primer I use, too. Less than a dollar a can, available 24/7 (if you run out in the middle of the night), and works as well as any other prier I've ever used.

I think I have about 6 cans of various colors in my workroom right now.
John Schneder II
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, nothing beats the that primer. I have several colors myself Very Happy It even strips well off the masters I make (I usually prime them up before taking approval pictures).
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Schneder II wrote:
Indeed, nothing beats the that primer. I have several colors myself Very Happy It even strips well off the masters I make (I usually prime them up before taking approval pictures).

Since I rarely visit Wally World: Which department in the store do I find this magic primer? I would much rather spend $1 instead of $8.50+ on a can of spray paint.

I also found some of the brushes are not that bad (in the craft area) for miniature painting. Got a variety set of 10 brushes for $7.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the paint department... right there next to the high priced Krylon brand primer that does the same job... for more money.
striker8
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfury wrote:
John Schneder II wrote:

Since I rarely visit Wally World: Which department in the store do I find this magic primer? I would much rather spend $1 instead of $8.50+ on a can of spray paint.

I also found some of the brushes are not that bad (in the craft area) for miniature painting. Got a variety set of 10 brushes for $7.

The spray your looking for is in a blue can, the brand name is Color Place.
wrongway klingon
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vallejo or GW paint colors ships Reply with quote

striker8 wrote:
I've searched here and over at the SFB site and other than general color descriptions I can't seem to find what colors to use from the vallejo or GW ranges and I really don't want to but into a new range if I don;t have to.

I figured out white for my Federation ships but other than that I have no idea what colors out of my massive collection for the other fleets. Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks

Until we can return some paint samples from the future your guess as to the correct colours is as relevant as anyone elses'

The excellent art work on the product boxes is another source of information
striker8
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vallejo or GW paint colors ships Reply with quote

wrongway klingon wrote:
striker8 wrote:

Thanks

Until we can return some paint samples from the future your guess as to the correct colours is as relevant as anyone elses'

The excellent art work on the product boxes is another source of information

My main problem is I do great at picking colors for Fantasy and Scif Fi stuff that doesn't have a recognised scheme. When it comes to things that are set in a "codex" scheme for lack of a better term I never know exactly what colors are close to the way they are going by a picture.

I did get them done using the shadow grey. Put them and the Fed ships up on my Cool Mini gallery, Every one is encouraged to let me know what they think.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/browse/submitter/striker8

My Yahoo page and links to my mini albums http://360.yahoo.com/striker800000
wrongway klingon
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice striker8. I mostly use vallejo paints and GW inks.
For Klingons I use
Base Coat - Grey Green
Shading and Lining -German Grey, black-brown
Dry brush - Light Grey, Silver grey
Highlight - Silver Grey, White

Feds
Basecoat - White + a small amount of Sky Blue
Shading + Lining - Grey Green
Drybrush + Highlight - White
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never have listed specific paint colors or stock numbers for painting guides. Green, light gray, red, blue, that's about as far as I want to define it. There are no "official" paint chips, just use what you have, or what you want. Fleets buy their paint from vendors and I'm sure that the paint that the northern fleet bought from one vendor in March is not QUITE the same color as the paint that the southern fleet bought from another vendor in June.
striker8
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrongway klingon wrote:
Very nice striker8. I mostly use vallejo paints and GW inks.
For Klingons I use
Base Coat - Grey Green
Shading and Lining -German Grey, black-brown
Dry brush - Light Grey, Silver grey
Highlight - Silver Grey, White

Feds
Basecoat - White + a small amount of Sky Blue
Shading + Lining - Grey Green
Drybrush + Highlight - White

I use mostly Vallejo myself with gw thrown into the mix. Force of habit to call the VGC colors by the GW name. I probably have most all those colors you mentioned.

I did the Klingons with the vallejo shadow grey over grey primer. With a dry brush up up shadow grey and ghosly grey. Lined it with black ink. The details were done with various VGC and VMC based off the painting guides and the picture on the fleet box.

The feds were just primed white detailed and then lined with ink.

My Yahoo page and links to my mini albums http://360.yahoo.com/striker800000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: