Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fighter Miniatures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Fighter Miniatures Reply with quote

I got a little "grab bag" of the fighter miniatures (one each). I have to say I am completely impressed. They have amazing detail on such small chunks of metal. They are very nicely done.

However, I think that anyone who plans on using decals on them is dreaming. I can't even imagine trying to cut them down small enough to work on those surfaces. The Admin Shuttle is doable, but probably not with the fighters. (For scale, the F-18 is 5/8" long. The Admin is 9/16" long and a shade under 1/4" tall.)

Too bad I suck at painting miniatures. (My skill with plastic models is OK. Miniatures are just outta my league.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, a lot of us deal with decals quite a bit smaller than that (individual phaser banks, etc.). Decals would be about the only way to go for putting any kind of "markings" on fighters beyond basic engine glow, etc.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Fighter decals Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I'm ready to do those designs! I can actually create decals smaller than I can apply. That's ironic, because that's the reason I got into creating decals in the first place. Laughing

In any case, I can produce readable text in 2 point type or smaller (its readable if you have really good glasses). Things like stripes, insignia, etc., are pretty easy. I'm also pretty sure I can make canopies, too, which might make finishing fighters and shuttles a little easier.

I just can't wait to get that ADB package!

Bob
Brigman
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a squadron of each, plus an extra squadron of F18s (for Gorns) and two extra of the ZYs (for Lyrans & Selts). Can't wait for 'em to get here. Smile
hobbybob
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Fighters and decals Reply with quote

My fighters and shuttles arrived yesterday... WOW! Very Happy I'm speechless (about time for that). Although it won't be a walk in the park to design decals for these, I don't anticipate huge problems, either.

The ship numbers on the side of the admin shuttles will be too small to see more than a few inches away. I'm still going to put them there, but I'm also going to put them on the top.

I've always operated lots of shuttles in SFB, but I'm unsure about FC.

Question: On average, if you you could make a broad generalization, how many shuttles do you operate at one time, and from how many mother-ships? I'm thinking about marking them "01-01" through "05-10." (I probably should make them something like "1701-01," i.e., the Galileo, but that would be too restrictive). I could also create decals to apply to the stands, making it a moot point.

What do you think?

Bob
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shuttles don't come out to play nearly as much in FedCom as they do in SFB. There aren't any Wild Weasals in FedCom, so there is a lot less for shuttles to do.

Suicide Shuttles exist, but are every bit as hard to employ as before, so I haven't seen them all that often.

Shuttles usually just act as buses for "MacGuffins" in scenarios, or as a target in a more general sense.

I've never seen more than 2-3 on the board at any one time. Numbers 1-5 ought to be plenty.

Numbers for the stands would be handy, but those would almost certainly need to be printed in ALPS white, to show up on a black stand.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
Numbers for the stands would be handy, but those would almost certainly need to be printed in ALPS white, to show up on a black stand.

My thoughts exactly! That being said, I often paint the stands with the ships, so with the Feds, that's not an issue for me.
Maxtype
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I want to use my shuttles and fighters with SFB and probably Klingon Armada as well as FedComm, so I would like a number system like you are describing.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fighters and decals Reply with quote

hobbybob wrote:
Question: On average, if you you could make a broad generalization, how many shuttles do you operate at one time, and from how many mother-ships? I'm thinking about marking them "01-01" through "05-10." (I probably should make them something like "1701-01," i.e., the Galileo, but that would be too restrictive). I could also create decals to apply to the stands, making it a moot point.

What do you think?

Bob I may be wrong but I think even the Fed SCS only has room for 6 ADMIN/MRS/SWAC sized Shuttles not sure if the Battleships have more or not can't find my SSDs right now. That said I think 01-01 through 01-06 then rinse and repeat might be alright for 5 or 6 ships (that would be 30 numbered shuttles). Of course now that I think about it... the Gorn Dreadnaught may be loaded also... Crying or Very sad

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GSC has eight shuttles, that's the most I can think of off the top of my head.
Brigman
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fighter miniatures arrived today.

I may weep openly.

These are a thing of rare and true beauty. Can't wait to get them painted. The detail is simply AMAZING.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see what a painter of your caliber can do with them Dale. Please post pics! Cool
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see one next to a 'regular' ship mini to compare the scale of the two.
ctchapel
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine

Jump over to the starfleetgames.com site. All the fighters are there in three views and a size scale shot with cruisers per kind of fighter. Hold the mouse over the picture and it flips through the cycle.

Charles Chapel
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctchapel wrote:
Jump over to the starfleetgames.com site. All the fighters are there in three views and a size scale shot with cruisers per kind of fighter. Hold the mouse over the picture and it flips through the cycle.

Found it! Thanks CT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: