Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingon desperately seeking advice on killing Hydrans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Klingon desperately seeking advice on killing Hydrans Reply with quote

I’m facing Hydrans in four days time ( scenario 8CM36,communique 48 ) and not have very much experience fighting them (about four to six time over my whole SFB & FC flight time) am looking for some basic tactical hints, can some one please help and give me some pointers. Many thanks in advance.

All the best for the mid winters celebrations, that even goes out to the enemies of the Empire. Very Happy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aim low!
Shocked

Seriously, the bext offense against Hydrans is to keep moving and stay out of range.Expet a long, running battle as you will want to stay at range and the Hydrans will want to close to 4 hexes or less (preferably 2 to 0) wheretheir Fusion Beams are most effective.

If you can control the range, you cna control the battle.
Speed will also help you avoid those pesky little STingers. For such a small unit, they pack a really big wallop.

Our group has found that longer range shots aimming simply to cripplethe Stingers before they can employ their Fusion Beams is an effect anti-Stinger defense.
Krellex
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, if you get in close (range 3 or less) to the Hydran, you are inviting death for one of your ships every other turn. Just remember the Hellbore can always hurt you if you have a down shield, and the fusions will tear you apart at close range. (Not sure what the armament is for the CC in the scenario, but the fighters are usually the biggest pain) You may want to dedicate some of your drones to harass the fighters, or snipe them with disruptors before you go after the cruiser. I would try to keep some drones in flight at all times to soak up some of his fire. Basically you have to keep hitting him while not allowing him to get his best shot at you, so it will boil down to which weapons he has.
Sproing
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from the Klingon Empire in Kingston.

Which Hydrans?
They come in three different flavours. Each and every Hydran player I've met swears by their personal preference.

Hellbore heavy squadrons have nearly as much ranged firepower as you and those nasty gatlings at very close range. Heavy phaser range is very good for Klingons against them. So range 15 shots followed by range 3 if you're feeling brave and are phaser 2 heavy (fusions and gatlings don't really kick in until range 2 and they, not the phaser 2s, are the real killers), 5 if you're phaser 1 heavy or 8 if a lot of their ships are small on a turn they have very few hellbores up .

Fusion heavy squadrons will charge. Keep moving away and keep firing. Knock down front shields even if you do slightly less internals. Drones will keep them from EMing. Target weapons (a rule I hope will someday be dropped) and consider saving power to transport marines when one of your shields goes down as they don't have as many guns as other races.

Mixed squadrons are my personal preference. They can afford for their charge to not quite get to you as you don't have as many guns facing aft as they do facing forward. Or they can loiter at a slower speed using the power for reinforcement whilst you try desperately to prevent your speed 24 plot from hauling you out of prime position. On a positive note you have more ranged firepower and the more solid (15 or closer) shots you can pump into them the greater your chance of victory.

Enjoy, it's a fun match up.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to how the battle went for you? I like to play Klingons and going up against a Hydran is always a good challenge. Those Stingers will rip you to shreds if you let them. I know...I once lost a C7 Battle Cruiser to them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: