Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strategies for all races
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Strategies for all races Reply with quote

Alright I'm going to start this with the races in KB, the only FC game I currently own. Everyone is encouraged to help me with the races in KB and add races not in KB

Federation: The Federation are the get up close and fire crews. The best strategy with the Feds is to get up close and fire overloaded Photons up close (IMO) on turns while preloading, move 24 +1 and fire some reverse Phasers and drones to keep the opponent off your back.

Klingons- The Klingon Dreadnought and to a lesser extent the Heavy Battlecruiser fly a lot like the Federation Ships, but the Battlecruiser and Heavy Cruiser (Never used the F5) are very different indeed. Your turn mode is excellent, so stay at range 15 and whittle away with Disrupters (Must keep a high speed against Feds)

The Heavy Battlecruiser and Dreadnought (Though I have not played the Heavy Battlecruiser, I've played against it and seen how it should work) You should play Fed Style, getting up close and firing overloads.

Kzinti- Keep your distance like the Klingons, but use drones to keep them off you.

Orion- Varied, depending on heavy weapons.

Tholians- Don't really know.

Help? Please add to this list.

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
RIS_Mace
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ideas here!

It's all down to the pilots opinion, but I think the C7 is the ultimate 'sabre-dancer' and should be used as such. It's got so many phaser-1s, great disruptor and phaser arcs, awesome maneuverability for a BCH, and lots of power to spare.

Everything the D7 series wanted, the C7 has. It can eat other ships up flying fast and staying out of their arms reach (like a Fed itching to land those overloads). One of the most graceful ships there is. But make no mistake, it is powerful too! Twisted Evil
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree about the C7.

Yes, the C7 can certainly sabre dance, but I wouldn't say it's the "Ultimate," Sabre dancer. IIRC, the Fed Battlecruiser has a D turn mode, whereas the Klingon C7 uses a C. On the other hand, the D7 has a turn mode of B, making it a better Saber Dancer.

Now, I'd say with almost certainly that the Klingon Dreadnought is not a good Saber Dancer. It's just not built that way.

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have to disagree about the C7.

First off, 4 drones makes a nice difference --
Then FH/L, FH/R Disrupters with the power to use them --
3 More Ph-1s, PH-2s converted to PH-1 --

Personally, even with a lower power curve, I would rather use the D5 than the D7, thats the regular D5 not the D5W ---

but yes, IMO the C-7 is an overall better Sabre Dancer ---
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS:E - It's not always as simple as looking at turn mode vs. turn mode, or BPV vs. BPV.
As Bolo pointed out, the C7 has mant advantages that make it a better saber-dancer than the D7, when flown correctly.
It's similar to the D5 / D7 rivalry. Mosyt beginnings / new-comers will take the D7 over the D5 in a heartbeat, but once you learn to look beyond the basic tactics of get close and fire everything - you realize that a D5 has better arcs, better turn modes, etc.

Again, not to continue to flay a deceased equine - but there really is no single strategy or tactic that is usable by a single empire against every other empire. The whole game is a learning experience...
You learn a new tactic that allowd you to have an advantage over a regular opponent...
and then they learn a way to overcome that and gain an advantage over you...
You learn a new... and so on, ad infinitum...
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a strategy per race, sure each race and ship has strengths and weaknesses, but in any matchup you need to:

1. Understand your strength and weakness
2. Understand his strength and weakness
3. Understand the scenario (victory condition, map type etc).

Then work out your stategy and tactics. Point 1 and 2 includes your ship, obviously, but possibly the player - do you know that he always goes for 'close and hose', is he a klingon guru who will not allow your fed anywhere near overload range?.

Feds may be good close up, but do you really want to get too close to a hydran bristling with Fusions and gatlings, misjudging a range 3 pass and ending closer is a world of hurt for the fed, trying to stick to range 5-8 where he is practically toothless is likely to be better, though even there he will often have a power advantage if you try overloading at the point of fire, and you don't want to miss and then watch him close the distance because you aren't fast enough to get away.

Klingons are good at range 15, as a generalisation Seltorians are better. They all pack good phaser 1 suites, whilst many klingons have several ph2 and with funny arcs. Their particle cannon is at least as good and arguably better than a disrupter at range 15, the disrupter is slightly crunchier if you can consider range 15 to be crunchy, but the PC will outdamage your disrupters by about an extra 50% per turn on average. They turn like a bath tub though, so forget range 15 sabre dancing and just get up closer where your good turn arc and all round weapon arcs can give you a significant advantage in a tight turning fight, his phaser1's can still be painful up close, but once you are out turning him he has a problem (just watch out for boarding actions if you lose a shield).

The klingon DN and BC are not really any better at 'close and overload' than other klingon ships, sure they are better armed than other klingon ships but so are the bigger enemy ships you wil be taking on in a duel. The C7 still only has 4 disrupters, 1 of the fed heavy battlecruisers has 6 photons. Your overloaded disrupters can just go through his front shield with a burnthrough, but (game mechanics aside) his overloaded photons can crush your front shield on the way in, crush the back shield on the way out, and leave a mess of destroyed systems in between. What makes those bigger klingon ships better at range 8 and lower than a lot of other klingon ships is the phaser 1s they carry rather than ph2, ph1s are vastly more efficient than disrupters at range 8 and less. That, however, only helps if the other guy isn't also packing a raft of phaser 1s.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scream and leap. There's a tactic.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyrans: Get up close and unleash ESG death.

Hydrans: Fire long range HB's and close range fusions. Send Stingers for strafing runs.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, everyone who mentioned the D5, I've never seen it. Yes, I understand game mechanics. I'd have to look again, but the D7 seems to be the big Saber Dancer in KB. I've actually won many a game with the Klingons without trying to keep my distance. The Dreadnought can't really saber dance, but the Heavy BC can.

"Live long and Prosper."
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, everyone who mentioned the D5, I've never seen it. Yes, I understand game mechanics. I'd have to look again, but the D7 seems to be the big Saber Dancer in KB. I've actually won many a game with the Klingons without trying to keep my distance. The Dreadnought can't really saber dance, but the Heavy BC can.

Of course It's ship by ship, though certain empires have certain tendencies.

"Live long and Prosper."
RIS_Mace
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the main advantage of the D5 are the good disruptor arcs, but I also like the D7 series a little more.

One of my favorite battles to do is a duel using either a D7W Heavy Command Cruiser or the DWL (the D5W beefed-up to NCC-level -- I forget if it is in FC). Usually I pick the D7W because of the extra labs and the extra ph-1. The wider disruptor arcs of the DWL weren't so great for me because whenever I needed that extra-wide angle in order to not be caught within overload range, I would've turned off the disruptors for more speed and power into the phasers anyways.

However, I must say that I love charging two of the disruptors on overload, keeping the other two off, and skimming inside range eight while firing the overloads and phasers off of the 3 or 5 shield.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither the D7W or the DWL are in FedCom, so that's all kind of academic.

My group's main Klingon is very fond of the D5W (he feels it's the best Klingon ship, point for point). He also has a huge love-on for the F6 Frignaught, but feels it is too expensive.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Just reread this post. I disagree with a lot of stuff I said back then.

The best strategy with any Klingon Ship (Against anything In Klingon or Romulan Border or Romulan Attack anyway) is to Saber Dance no matter what with any evenly matched BPV ship in those sets.

I now have both Romulan Border and Rom Attack so I'm going to add Romulans and Gorn for the sets I have.

Romulans- Generally, since your ships are weaker then most others of your class, use your cloak while loading Plasma. Do not decloak at all. Try to Maneuver behind your opponent but even if you exchange weapons the Plasma usually wins out at point-blank. Then Cloak again, rinse, repeat.

Gorn- Since the Gorn can't cloak, flying Speed 16 Backwards is generally a good start off. On turn 2, take all your loaded Plasma Torps and close to range 1. After knocking down their facing Shield with Phasors Tractor them and launch your Plasma. At this point, they will probably die.

"Live long and Prosper."
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er...

What if the enemy doesn't want to close to range 1 with your less maneuverable (i.e. you move before they do) Gorn starship?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to the Seltorians, it seems that the issue of phaser and particle cannon use is only part of the equation.

If one is only thinking of the shield cracker as a weapon used to facilitate scoring hull damage, it might not seem that great - though there are empires which are more vulnerable to it than others.

However, put those shield crackers together with the healthy supplies of Marines and transporters that Seltorians use, and you've got a better chance to make a slew of hit-and-run raids... or even pull off a boarding action.

This is the kind of operation the Seltorian ships were designed for - the capture of pirate and freighter hulls back in the M81 Galaxy. Even if you can't manage to capture an opponent, it might still be wise not to let all those transporters go to waste.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: