Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starmada: Iron Stars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Starmada: Iron Stars Reply with quote

Hi.

As those of you with a copy of Klingon Armada already may have noticed, there are a number of other modules for Starmada listed in the last few pages of the book - each of which designed to operate with the Admiralty Edition Core Rulebook.

(I'm still waiting for my copy of SAE, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess these modules are advertised there, too.)

Of these modules, the one that catches my eye most readily is the one based on the Iron Stars setting.

Quote:
Queen Victoria died in January, marking a literal and symbolic end to the 'Victorian' era. Two new powers — the United States and Japan — were entering the world stage, even as many in the old guard began to creak under the weight of their own might. Communism, in the person of Vladimir Ilych Lenin, had begun to rear its head in Czarist Russia. Technology and the industrial revolution were changing everything, including the weapons of war. And while the "Boxer Rebellion" in China was easily quashed, the incident demonstrated growing resentment of European dominance.

It was into this powder keg that the first Martian cinder fell, in a Surrey field during the spring of 1901.

The ships in Starmada: Iron Stars look like Age of Dreadnoughts-era vessels - the kind detailed in another Starmada module - but with Cavorite anti-grav systems used to lift them into orbit, and ether sails to move around once beyond Earth's atmosphere.

For example, models representing the Royal Navy Ether Squadron, the Russian Space Navy and the K.U.K. Sternmarine of Austria-Hungary can be seen here - not bad, eh?

Also, it's worth noting that SIS is an adaptation of the setting originally shown in a different game system (which, like Starmada, has a PDF demo here). The covers of the modules for that system look quite distinct to that for SIS, so it's worth making sure you're not confusing them.

(Plus, the ship selection is different in SIS than in any of the older Iron Stars modules - which is handy, since all of the ships which currently have models are included in SIS, rather than spread over more than one book.)

Anyone else thinks it looks interesting?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but not something I would pursue. I'm maxed-out for hobby-time with just the SFU and taking on KA is about as far out of "core" ADB stuff as I'm going to be able to go.

Besides, the wife would kill me if I start buying yet another line of minis...
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death by spouse - not the best option, perhaps.

In my case, I find the mini side of things to be pretty interesting, though I'm not sure whether I like the British or Russian ships more. (The Hapsburg ships are neat, too, but aren't on the level of the others in my personal view.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: