Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firing photons "every other turn"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
That Don Guy
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Firing photons "every other turn" Reply with quote

I'll admit this is most likely a case of "reading things in the rules that aren't there," but I just want to be sure.

Can a photon torpedo be pre-loaded the turn after firing? (4C1b says it can be "fired every other turn", but is that pretty much there just because it takes two turns to load one?)
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so lets say you fire on turn 3. turn 4 u pay 2 points to preload. turn 5 you pay 2-6 points for various loads during the energy allocation portion of the turn, and may fire the weapon during any direct fire phase of that turn.

effectivley the photon can fire every other turn.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand the question. You seem to be asking...

If I fire on turn 3, can I pre-load during energy allocation on turn 4. Answer's is Yes.

If you are asking, If I fire on turn 3, can I pre-load during turn 3, the answer is No.

Quote:
(4C1b says it can be "fired every other turn", but is that pretty much there just because it takes two turns to load one?)

On this one, Yes. It's pretty much there because it takes two turns to load one. you can't fire every turn because of the load time, so the fastest you can fire is every other turn.

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Firing photons "every other turn" Reply with quote

That Don Guy wrote:
Can a photon torpedo be pre-loaded the turn after firing? (4C1b says it can be "fired every other turn", but is that pretty much there just because it takes two turns to load one?)

Yes, you may pre-load a photon the turn after it was fired. For example, if you fired a photon during turn 3, you may pre-load it during energy allocation on turn 4 (and then complete the arming during energy allocation on turn 5). Once arming is completed on turn 5, the photon may be fired on turn 5.

There is no "cool-down" turn for photons, like there is for fusion beams.

(As an aside, you may not, of course, pre-load the photon on the turn it was fired, because you can only apply pre-load energy during energy allocation to an empty photon tube.)

However, '81 made a slight error. You do not have to wait for the second turn of arming to apply overload energy. You may apply overload energy at the end of the first turn of arming.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But photon overload energy may only be applied either during energy allocation at the beginning of a turn, or during the end-of-turn procedures. Correct?

i.e. overload energy may *not* be used at the moment of firing.
Paul Grogan
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.25 in my KB rulebook says that you can overload them at the instant of firing (though most of my players think this makes them too powerful)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applying the energy to arm (but not overload) a photon must be done during energy allocation on two consecutive turns. This is how all other multi-turn arming weapons work.

Overload energy may be applied at the moment of firing. This is also how other overloadable two-turn weapons (i.e. hellbores and PPDs) work.

In addition to the above, photons get the following additional points in which they can apply overload energy:
- At the end of the first or second turn of arming.
- At the end of a turn in which the photon was held.
- During energy allocation of the second turn of arming.
- During energy allocation a turn in which the photon was held.

As an aside, I fail to see how overloading a photon at the instant of firing can be unbalancing, as that is how every other weapon is overloaded. I can see how someone might complain about the end of turn overloading, but not the instant of firing overloading.

DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you MJ. Every other weapon overloads at instant of firing, it'd be real unfair to force the Feds to overload prior to firing. They have enough problems getting into range and hitting without that limitation

Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules check...correct!
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Grogan wrote:
p.25 in my KB rulebook says that you can overload them at the instant of firing (though most of my players think this makes them too powerful)

Photons too powerful? Not when I'm firing them. Razz
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pay for overloading before the photon is fully loaded, do you have to pay the hold cost (or even if it wasn't overloaded) Question
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arming cycle -

Turn 1 - Preload for 2 points of energy; Overload for up to 4 points; no hold cost (obviously, since there's nothing to hold).
Turn 2 - Finish loading for 2 points of energy; Overload for up to 4 points minus any energy you paid on turn 1; no hold cost.
Turn 3 - No loading energy; Overload for up to 4 points minus any energy you paid on previous turns (i.e. 4 points of overload energy total); hold cost based of 1 for standard loads, and 2 if any overload energy has been added.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, no hold cost on turn two? I've been playing that wrong.
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have thought there was a holding cost for those torps on turn 2 of the example due to the fact they are loaded and you havent fired them.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, no.

Holding energy is only allocated during energy allocation, and only applies if the torpedo was completed in a prior turn. (This goes for plasmas, too.)

So, when Turn 2 starts, the photon is not completed. Therefore, no holding energy is required. Since it is not completed, they do need to be finished.

To greatly expand junior's listing (which is fundamentally correct), try the following:

Turn X-1:
Photon tube is empty at the end of Turn X-1. They could have been fired this turn. They could have been repaired this turn. They could have just not been armed. Regardless, Turn X-1 ends with the photon tube empty.

Turn X:
During Energy Allocation, 2 points of energy are spent to preload the photon tube. No other energy can be spent on this photon during energy allocation. Just the 2 points of energy to preload.
At the end of the turn, either 2 points (for a +4 marker) or 4 points ( for a +8 marker) may be spent of any remaining energy.

Turn X+1:
During Energy Allocation, 2 points of energy are spent to finish loading the photon torpedo. Since the torpedo did not start the turn loaded, no holding cost is required. Irrespective of overload energy, these 2 points of energy must be spent in Energy Allocation or the torpedo is lost, and loading must start fresh next turn. Unlike the prior turn, overload energy can also be added during Energy Allocation. At this point the photon is ready to fire. It may be fired during any Offensive Fire Phase during the turn, but doesn't have to be.
During the turn, if the photon is fired at any point, and it is not fully overloaded, overload energy may be added at the point of fire.
At the end of the turn, if the photon has not been fired during the turn, and if the photon is not fully overloaded, overload energy may again be added.

Turn X+2:
If the photon was fired during Turn X+1, then start the whole process over with Turn X. If the photon was not fired during Turn X+1, the turn starts with a fully loaded photon. During Energy Allocation, holding energy must be applied or the photon will be lost. If the photon is not held, it is discharged, and loading must start fresh next turn.
Holding costs 1 point of energy if the photon has not been overloaded to this point. If the photon has been overloaded (to either +4 or +8 ), then 2 points of energy are required to hold the photon. Also during energy allocation, if the photon has not been completely overloaded, overload energy may be added to the photon.
During the turn, if the photon is fired at any point, and it is not fully overloaded, overload energy may be added at the point of fire.
At the end of the turn, if the photon has not been fired during the turn, and if the photon is not fully overloaded, overload energy may again be added.

Turn X+3:
If the photon was fired during Turn X+2, then start the whole process over using Turn X. If the photon was not fired during Turn X+2, the repeat the process described for Turn X+2.

Note that the above completely ignores (4C2c). (This is why I used Turn X instead of Turn 1.) If you start a scenario, and choose to take advantage of (4C2c), then you are assumed to have completed the steps described in Turn X, but you did not apply any overload energy. You then use the process described in Turn X+1 for Turn 1 of the scenario. If you do choose to take advantage of (4C2c), then your batteries will start empty.

EDIT:
Note that if a torpedo is discharged on a turn, whether that is at the end of a turn or during energy allocation, a new torpedo may not be started until the following turn. Therefore, if you are not going to hold a photon (say you have an overloaded torpedo and realize you need a norma load), you should discharge it at the end of that turn and not wait until energy allocation.

Last edited by mjwest on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: