Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Origins 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Origins 2010 Reply with quote

I see on the GAMA website that Origins is June 23-27, 2010.

I'm assuming that the SFB portion is the 25-27?

How big is the SFB portion? In other words, how many people usually attend these events?

Anyone here ever been (besides Steve Cole of course) Very Happy

Reading the various old CL's that I've been collecting kind of has me jazzed up to attend. I checked my duty schedule and I'm off June 25- 27. I've never played in a tournament of course, but I figure there has to be a first time for anything.

Oh, and what is the age limit (if any)? My son might like to attend with me, sort of a father son thing.

Many thanks.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Origins starts Wednesday, and so does F&E. We start SFB rounds on Thursday and you have to play three by Friday 6pm to get into the finals. If you don't get into the finals you can play Saturday patrol from 6pm Friday to Saturday night.

The number of attendees varies as players come and go all the time at each event. There are usually about 100 SFU players around, but not all around at the same time.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

What time on Thursday does the SFB portion begin? I'd be flying in and would like to arrange the flight time accordingly if possible.

Edited to add:

Also, how beneficial would it be to purchase Module T-2000?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David...
I'll be there - but I'l lbe playing F&E (and we're all arriving Tuesday afternoon - so our gme will start late Tuesday night).
Although - - I may try to get in a couple of FCOL tourney games in early and then slip out of the F&E room long enough to have Commodore Doyle hand my "tuchas" to me on a platter... Wink
And I may try to convince Battlegroup Cincinnati to let me join in our of their hexless SFB minis game this year.

Burt Ashman (Wedge_Hammersteel) and Matt Alleman(malleman) are plannign to attend.

As for age limit: Not sure there is one. I took my son (Plasmaboy) for the first time when he was 13.
He's not on this forum often anymore (since he joined the Army), but he's going to try to return this year.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt and I will be there Wednesday night.

We plan to take part in the FC tourny.

I also plan to help SVC and Leanna pay for their house remodeling.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to meet everyone and put some faces with names. If anyone knows how early the SFB portion begins on Thursday please let me know so I can arrange travel accordingly.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David:
SVC and Co. will arrive Wednesday afternoon and begin setting up the dealer room.
We'll have the ADB sing-along 'round 7:00 p.m. Wednesday.
The convention opens at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday.

There is no "official" starting time for the early rounds of the SFB tourney. As soon as two or more players show-up, they'll begin matching them for games.
As the entire tourney is not a single elimination, tree type tourney, the early rounds are not as time critical. Most players play a couple of SFB games on Thursday and a couple more on Friday. This gives them time to participate in other things at the convention (and may I recommend Federation and Empire), such as the Fed Comm tourney...
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Module T-2000 one of those 'must needs' products in order to have a shot at some successful games at a tournament? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but wanted some experienced opinions. Is there anything else anyone would recommend?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Is Module T-2000 one of those 'must needs' products in order to have a shot at some successful games at a tournament? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but wanted some experienced opinions. Is there anything else anyone would recommend?

Loaded dice??? Wink

Module T-2000 contains SSDs for the tournament cruisers - which can also be found online, maps, counters, and tactics.
The SSDs are nice, but they can be downloaded from ADB... and the tactics are nice to have, but are a luxury, not a necessity. And I don't think it actually has any rules in it.

Module TR is actually more crucial item. Module TR combined with the Basic set rulebook gives you all of the rules necessary to play any of the official TCCs.

If you have the MRB, then you may not even need TR to play with the tournament rules.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you. I just ordered the TR Module you mentioned. Should be in by the end of the week.
Very Happy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get confirmation today that GAMA had received and accepted our event package.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
We start SFB rounds on Thursday and you have to play three by Friday 6pm to get into the finals. If you don't get into the finals you can play Saturday patrol from 6pm Friday to Saturday night.

As I'm reading the older CL's I see there are two different routes; the Patrol Tournament which is the best record and best % and there is the Fleet Captain's tournament which is single elimination. Is it still this way? If so, which one do you have to play three games by Friday? I'm assuming the patrol finals? Sorry for the many questions, but I figure I won't learn if I don't ask...
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David -

As has been pointed out, you are asking SFB questions on the FedCom board. You'll get answers a lot quicker from the the throngs of SFB folks on the other board (which caters to SFB). To the best of my knowledge, no one on this board competes in the current SFB tournament, whereas a lot of the sharks that swim in those waters are regulars on the legacy board.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I gave it a shot and posted something on that board. Hope it was in the right spot. It is going to take a bit to get used to that type of board as I've been using this type for so long.

Thank you.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of BBS is the most common out there because it's free software and has a lot of color bells and whistles and doesn't use a lot of server resources.

Discus is vastly more powerful in what it can do, but we are using an older version without the flashy color stuff since the server load for the more powerful software is already at the max our host will tolerate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: