Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A little Traveller in FC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: A little Traveller in FC? Reply with quote

I noticed what has to be a little tip of the hat to the Traveller universe on the Free Trader ship card. "Beowolf Shipping, Ltd?" (though in Traveller it would be Beowulf).

Ah, I can still remember the cover quote:

This is the Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone ...
Mayday, Mayday ...
we are under attack ...
main drive is gone ...
turret number one not responding ...
Mayday ...
losing cabin pressure fast ...
calling anyone ...
please help ...
This is Free Trader Beowulf ...
Mayday ...
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never played the game, but I read the box cover once.

Putting Beowolf on the card seemed a nice things to say about a game many people like.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

I used to play traveller and a ship i used has a player character ship was a fed ca.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: post subject Reply with quote

markgeorgetwo wrote:
I used to play traveller and a ship i used has a player character ship was a fed ca.

Back in the day lots of people used the Traveller system to run Star Trek and Star Wars games, way before official RPG adaptations were made. In a way, the Traveller rules system was meant as a generic Sci-Fi system, with the Official Traveller Universe added over time, later.

The new Traveller from Mongoose brings us back there, with it being a really nice RPG system for sci-fi, with several universes to play in like Hammers and Slammer, Third Imperium, Twilight Imperium, and more coming.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play traveller and a ship i used has a player character ship was a fed ca. thats correct i also saw what you replyied when i played i created a race for the game.

Called the zarloons who made the klingons look like a bunch of kids. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Wink i would love to do them for federation commander but there is too many alien races.[/quote]
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little kids? Like Balock of the First Federation (TOS: The Corbomite Maneuver)?

Tranya, yum.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

[Little kids? Like Balock of the First Federation (TOS: The Corbomite Maneuver)? }no not like him i also would like Tranya Smile Wink
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markgeorgetwo

Quote:
Called the zarloons who made the klingons look like a bunch of kids. i would love to do them for federation commander but there is too many alien races

Are you saying that there are too many alien races for Fed Com?

I would think that the inclusion of more alien races would be the ultimate future for Fed Comm in order to keep the game fresh and to continue to keep older players and to attract newer players.

Additional ship cards, additional "alien" attack rule sets, additional mini's would mean continued income for Fed Comm.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

wedge so you would say iclude the zarloons in the sfu how do i go about doing it if i can i will but i will need help doing the ship cards. i have the history on paper i only need to convert it to my pc.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am saying is two things. I think ADB will have to bring in new races, ships and weapons at some time in order to keep the game active and so old players stay and new players start. I can see products designed around the races so you can buy the races (ship cards/rules/minis) that you or your group wants.

Second, SVC has set up an on-line policy (mainly for SFB from what I see) for individuals to make up ship cards, races and such.

If you follow his on-line policy, you can make up your race with ships, weapons, and ship cards. The on-line policy link is around here somewhere.

I found the link. http://starfleetgames.com/web_policy.shtml

I can help you with the ship cards if you want. I have created ship variants for my own use.
ericphillips
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think there needs to be more major races. the timeline is solid, and we don't need a bunch of retcons or continuity errors.

I do think that new minor races could be added, especially in Prime Directive. But a few interesting ships from a minor race might be cool.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major or minor... who cares....a new race is a new race.

We are really looking forward to War & Peace and to Andro Invasion.

The ISC and Andromedans arent new to SFB but they will be to FC.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, there are those corners of the Star Fleet Universe (the Omega Octant, the Lesser Magellanic Cloud, the M81 and Triangulum galaxies, and so on and so forth) which I excel at annoying people about...

In FC terms, I'm not all that confident about some (or all) of those, mind you.
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of space for new races on the map, beyond the off-map areas of the Hydran, Lyran, Kzinti, Gorn and ISC territories.

For example, Jessica Orsini placed her SFB Peladine Republic to the 'west' of the Lyrans, giving them a unique mix of drone and plasma armament. They were overwhelmed by the Lyrans in a war that lasted a matter of days, which showcased their ships but didn't affect the 'history' of the SFU at all.

This, of course, left open the possibility of colonies of 'lost' Peladine - lurking deep in uncharted space plotting a terrible revenge - for anyone who wanted to develop an alternate history timeline, or just kill a lot of Lyrans Very Happy

Basically, you can't mess with the areas shown on the map or the 'recorded history' of the SFU, but there is a lot of scope to develop new ideas on the periphery.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

So you are saying lads proceed with doing the zarloons for star fleet battles or federation commander or both of them Very Happy Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: