Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I present Federation Silkscreened Decals
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sllarr
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A simple cut and paste, changing the font, and setting the size is all you have to do to set up to print.

Mark,

I have several of your previous decal sheets for FED ships. Which font did you use on those ? If I am going to do one or two custom names I would like it to match exactly the other decals.

Thanks.
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllarr wrote:

Mark,

I have several of your previous decal sheets for FED ships. Which font did you use on those ? If I am going to do one or two custom names I would like it to match exactly the other decals.

Thanks.

I use two different fonts: AmarilloUSAFPro which is a shareware font (Cost money), and Federation Hull. You can find the "free" version of Amarillo and Federation Hull on-line. The free version is all you need. The "pay" version has variants of letters & numbers not used in the SFU.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before somebody asks (again), the "amarillo font" was not created by ADB. I'm not sure why it's named "Amarillo". Perhaps somebody created it for SFB ships, or maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe it was invented at the old USAF base that was in Amarillo until it was closed in 1965.
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner! Reply with quote

Amarillo font got it's name from the AFB from where it was developed- Just like the "Long Beach" font for the USN. They set the stroke size, angle of corners, etc... to standardize USAF markings. This was done in the early 1950's if my memory recall is correct. Matt Jefferies picked this font (and the color of the Enterprise) based on USAF paint guidelines. It's why the model was painted Ghost Gray as well. It was never white.
Jiraiya1969
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfighter Decals wrote:

Nope. and nope. I am not having the name decals silk screened.

The sheet will be names only. The set already provides the numbers and "NCC". You just have to take the effort to put it together. ADB has published the Ship registry somewhere on their site so you can match ships names and numbers. A simple cut and paste, changing the font, and setting the size is all you have to do to set up to print.

I have found over the years of offering these decals that many want names that I refuse to make. Another problem is somebody always thinks they have to make evey ship in the class, or have to have something different than what I offered. I spent so much time making custom lettering that I didn't have any time to do anything else. It is also the easist part of making decals, and anybody can do it at home. The fonts are easily found on the internet (search Federation Hull, Amarillo, Star Trek Fonts, etc..) and Hobbytown USA & Hobby Lobby sell Ink Jet/Laser decal paper. Between the two, you can make as many names as outrageous as you want. I am only offering the Name sheets as a convience when I get a chance to do it. Hopefully next week when I get back from my sales trip.

So if you have some old Fed Squadron #1 decals (in my case the BC) you could just use the regidtries from that and they will be the same quality as tne names sheet you will be producing shortly?

That would be great in that case, but the other registries either would either have to be assembled one 'NCC-' and one number at a time or createrd using MSPaint and printed out.

I would just as soon do the former as the the quality difference between the Silkscreened decals and the older decals is noticeable.

However, the latter method would require aligning the individual numbers. That means a lot of Micro Set and placing and setting 5 individual decals. I saw a YouTube video showing how someone did this to a larger scale starship, and it looked pretty involved! The sale with the SL2400 minis... just a bit smaller.

I suppose, if worst comes to worst, I could print out my own regstries. The quality differnce between the two decal types would be noticeable.

Sar
Jiraiya1969
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Just had a thought (re StarFighter Ace decals) Reply with quote

If you have older style Fed registry numbers (i.e. Fed BC decals from the discontinued Fed Squadron #1 decal sheet), would it be possible to place the older decals, use Micro Sol to set them and then overlay the brand-new silk screen numbers over the old decals?

If they are the exact same size, don't see why this could not work.

Regards,

Sar
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they will work. If you do your own, I doubt the difference will be that noticeable. It's black and I haven't seen that much variation on black ink colors in the 30 years of computer printers. If use a laser or copier, you will get a much sharper image vs an inkjet. Only the old Epson Durabrite inks ever came close.

Making a nice mini requires lots of work. That's why when you see a job on a mini, folks compliment you on a job well done. If it was easy, everybody would do it. Sometime we have to sacrifice some convience to have a quality product and get quality results.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Nice one mark iam looking forward to these and especially doing the names second i look forward to the other races afterwards. Wink
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

I just received some of Mark's new Fed decals. If you though the originals were good (and they were), these are fantastic looking!

The colors are vibrant and the lines are super crisp!

I have not had the opportunity to apply them yet but all in all they are very impressive; I will definitely be ordering so more.
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Mark's decals for my Kzinti and Klingon fleets and I have been very impressed with them. The Kzinti window decals make a huge difference on the miniatures. I will post pictures in the painting examples forum at some point.

I just started using the new silkscreened Fed decals too and they look really nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: