Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PBP/PBEM?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phdillman
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vburke wrote:
What ever became of this idea?

Just a guess, but it most likely was put on hold during the current Origins crunch.

Give them a reminder after this week.
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Is there still interest in conducting a PBP PD Gurps campaign here ?

I'd like to volunteer to GM. The caveat is that I haven't GM'd since the 80's, and that was with the Classic Traveller / FASA Trek systems. I also don't have that much time in the week, so I may need a co-GM. I have all the PD Gurps (and D20) books and materials though. However, I will try to make the campaign "system agnostic" if there are enough players who would want / need this. I particularly welcome Traveller (CT / MGT) and Savage World enthusiasts.

In fact, the layout of the campaign would be more like a programmed solo adventure - but GM-moderated and with multiple players. It would be similar to the old Lone Wolf adventures, so there will be very minimal recourse to situations requiring die-rolling.

The campaign I would like to set up would also try to integrate FC and/or SFU Starmada somehow, but the emphasis of the campaign would be on espionage / diplomacy rather than ship-to-ship combat. But definitely Starfleet Marines: Assault and SFU Battlestations will figure prominently when they come out.

The campaign will be inspired by the Tom Clancy-verse, along the lines of Jack Ryan series and "Cardinal of the Kremlin." In fact, SVC had hinted that a Clancy-esque WWIII conflict does fit in the Earth history of the SFU. I'm inclined to throw in some historical sleeper element ala Khan, in all likelihood unfrozen Soviet exiles (as I had discussed in my posts elsewhere about a Soviet / other Earth Empires Octant). Also think of the TOS episode, "Patterns of Force", and other sorts of mischief a historian with UFP resources and impressionable aliens could do....

But definitely the campaign will be set within the Alpha Octant, along the UFP-Klingon-Romulan frontier, and will emphasize these classic empires.

Cheers,

Gary
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in!
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
I'm in!

Fantastic ! Thanks Eric. Would you be interested in joining in as a co-GM or as a Player ?

I'd first like to ask SVC, Jean and the ADB crew what their ideas and parameters are on running a PBP format PD campaign in the FC Forum.

Cheers,

Gary
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
I'm in!

Fantastic ! Thanks Eric. Would you be interested in joining in as a co-GM or as a Player ?

I'd first like to ask SVC, Jean and the ADB crew what their ideas and parameters are on running a PBP format PD campaign in the FC Forum.

Cheers,

Gary
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericphillips wrote:
I'm in!

Cheers,

Gary
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

The parameters are this (and thanks for asking first!):

1. We cannot allow elements of Star Trek in that we don't have rights to. No TNG, no monsters or situations from The Original Series that you haven't seen in our RPGs or fiction, no characters from the movies or series (oblique references to a dashing young captain or a calm Vulcan science officer could be carefully worked in), and nothing from FASA or other companies' ST games can be used.

2. I know how much fun it is to cross universes, but nothing from other intellectual properties can be used. Please, no Man-Kzin Wars, no B5, no Dr. Who, etc.

3. It is a family board, so no "adult situations" can happen. Keep that to PMs or email. Embarassed <- Jean You don't want to see me doing this!

4. Remember that all Forum rules apply. Let's try to avoid comparison to RW politics or introduction of controversial subjects. I know that TOS tackled sensitive topics, but the reactions (in general) were limited to a single household and here, we'd have the opinions of hundreds of strong-minded people who wouldn't object to expressing their opinions. If you play former General McDiamond, fired from his post in the SF Marines, you can't really talk about politics on the side. Smile

5. Have fun. Very Happy I have hoped this topic would bear fruit and I have confidence that you can "Make it so".
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean wrote:

5. Have fun. Very Happy I have hoped this topic would bear fruit and I have confidence that you can "Make it so".

Jean, is this not a tangental reference to a Paramount IP that should not be allowed on this forum? Wink

WHANG!

Owww. Shocked
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domingojs23 wrote:
ericphillips wrote:
I'm in!
Thanks Eric. Would you be interested in joining in as a co-GM or as a Player ?

I would rather like to be a player.
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jean !

I'd like to ask now about the mechanics of running a PBP PD game here, could you indicate the particulars please ? There are numerous different ways PBP RPGs are run in other boards.

Thanks again !

Gary
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some examples of PBP RPG Campaigns - feedback please !

http://www.unlimitedrpgs.com/forums/
http://www.hanmun.de/ats_simm/
http://wanderedroads.yuku.com/
http://www.desertrealm.com/
http://www.rpggateway.com/Internet_Play/Play_by_Post/Genre_-_Science_Fiction/

Cheers,

Gary
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike West, I need your input! Can we do subtopics within a subtopic? Or do we have to make the RPG a top-level topic to have sub-topics? The Forum isn't my normal environment. Embarassed

Gary, we are charting new territory here and we may have to try several things before we iron out the kinks. Smile

Tony, aren't you glad I used the new cast-iron frying pan you guys got me for my birthday? Very Happy It's soooooo cute and soooooooooooo heavy and I love it. (I also love all the guys who donated to the fund to provide it. Thank you all so very much!)
domingojs23
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jean ! This will also give me time to get my campaign in order.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean wrote:

Tony, aren't you glad I used the new cast-iron frying pan you guys got me for my birthday? Very Happy It's soooooo cute and soooooooooooo heavy and I love it. (I also love all the guys who donated to the fund to provide it. Thank you all so very much!)

Glad to be a guniea pig... Laughing
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys if your looking for more I am willing to play as well.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: