Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My two fleets (Klingon and Federation)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
botwt
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: My two fleets (Klingon and Federation) Reply with quote

8 models in each fleet...C&C welcome

Klingon
Klingon C8 Dreadnaught
2 x Klingon D7 Battlecruiser
2 x Klingon F5 Frigate
Klingon D6 Heavy Cruiser
Klingon D5 War Cruiser
Klingon C7 Heavy Battlecruiser

Federation
2 x Federation Heavy Cruisers
Federation War Destroyer
Federation Battleship
Federation Strike Cruiser
Federation NCL
Federation Frigate
Federation Armed Cutter

Will post photos here as I complete them. Smile
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mix for starters.

You might find yourself a little light on the smaller/consort type ships though. This really comes into play in "point-value" scenarios where you can choose your own fleet mix and often end up taking more small ships than you would have, if only to use up available points.

I'm surprised at how often I've had FF's and Pol's in my groups on the board. I'd have *liked* to have another NCL or CA, but taking a DW or FF is better than not using the points.

[Note that this is written solely from my own pedantic perspective, where I only use "correct" minis to represent specific ships. There's nothing wrong with using anything to represent anything, if all in the game understand the substitution. I just like my fleet to make sense to me, at a glance, and not have to remember that "the blue freighter is really my battlecruiser"].
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:

[Note that this is written solely from my own pedantic perspective, where I only use "correct" minis to represent specific ships. There's nothing wrong with using anything to represent anything, if all in the game understand the substitution. I just like my fleet to make sense to me, at a glance, and not have to remember that "the blue freighter is really my battlecruiser"].

BUT...
You said the red Fokker biplane model was the battlecruiser. I thought the blue freighter was the scout... Wink

Hmmm... I don't recall that I've ever had a problem remembering which miniature represented which ship. Maybe that's just good planning / memory on my part? Rolling Eyes
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have enough to worry about (with my known tactical-thinking limitations), without trying to keep mini-substitutions in-mind too... Embarassed
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
I have enough to worry about (with my known tactical-thinking limitations), without trying to keep mini-substitutions in-mind too... Embarassed

Why worry about minis substitutions? Do what I do:
The Klingon D7A is represented by the D7a mini...
The Klingon FD7 is the FD7 mini...
The Romulan DemonHawk is the DemonHawk mini...
and the others guys:
The Federation NCS is represented by the NCS miniature...
The Gorn PFT is represented by the Gorn PFT miniature...
The Tholian Black Widow carrier is represented by the BW miniature...
And the Federation DDF is... oh wait, never mind Confused
Lars Porsenna
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't do proxying at all. It can be confusing, and causes a "disconnect" from the immersion into the game. If someone shows up with the "wrong" minis, I'll make it a point to either suggest using stuff from my collection, or (if given enough lead-up time) I'll go and buy the correct minis for use in the game.

While some people react very negatively to the idea of WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), they also are not the dictators of what I feel is fun.

Damon.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars: Although it's hard to get across in a text-based forum, that's the point I was making.
Will knows I have enough Star Fleet lead to turn my house into an EPA superfund site in the event of a fire. Shocked
I've got slightly more than 800 painted FC minis right now and another 2 or 3 hundred on the workbench... and whenever we play a variant, we have a mini for that variant.

botwt: To get this back on topic...
I looked again at your list. You have a very good starting selection.
you might want to add another Klingon F5 (a squadron of three of them can make for a very good, small scale task force).
you probably need another small Fed or two as well. Just to balance points in a "set value" pick up game.

The Armed Cutter technically isn't a Federation unit.
This issue arose last year at the Fed Comm tournament at Origins.
The rules stated that all units must come from one empire... Armed Cutters, Free Traders, etc; being generic units don't count as belonging to a specific empire.
That won't matter in a friendly game, but it can be amn important consideration if oyou're planning a force for later use in a tourney...
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to your reply above, I got to thinking about how many ships I am currently working on, so I went and counted. 245! I got to get busy!

I have four cases full of ships that are completed. I have the old Romulan fleet painted white with the bird of prey decals and another Romulan fleet painted in the green scheme as in the movies and the latter take one entire case.

I am currently building my Orion fleet up for a possible (multiple) mercenary fleet action.

Any way, I do agree that botwt has a good start...and I agree with flying 3 F5's in a squadron. (Just look at the firepower that can be brought to bear at any facing.) I do this alot with 3 E4's in a squadron.

botwt, good hunting!
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 250 for me, but my inventory spreadsheet is out of date.
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to chime in and also mention an advantage of smaller ships--they can let you take bigger guys more often in pickup games.

Now, I'm not advocating taking a BB and then some Pols (if you want to do that, go ahead though). What I am advocating is being able to take an NCC and a Pol instead of an NCA and an FF. That may not be the best trade-off, but sometimes it lets you try out a new ship or develop a tactic that you wouldn't otherwise get a chance to try (I like the NCC).

Sometimes the enemy will go after it since it's a small easy to kill ship, and it can soak up a lot of fire while you get to use your larger ship to pound away against some of his. They're also more maneuverable which for Feds can really be nice sometimes.

And, you guys posting how many minis you've got inspired me to go back and check my (out of date) spreadsheet...394 total not including kitbash parts and other ideas that haven't materialized yet. And only about 80 of those are finished. So many miniatures, so little time.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS wrote:
So many miniatures, so little time.

Preach on, brother Paul.

My workbench misses me.
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the comments! Very Happy
Lots of food for thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: