Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commission peice: Animated Series-type Romulan KR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raperm
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Commission peice: Animated Series-type Romulan KR Reply with quote

I know it's been awhile, but here's something new. Awhile back Mike West asked me about a very unusual project. He wanted me to paint a Micro Machine Klingon D7 to look like the KR ship used in the Trek Animated Series. No problem, really, but he had twist. He didn't want the mini to be the usual "detailed" job I do with minis; he wanted it to look like what the Micro Machine guys would have made the mini look like, so that it doesn't look like a painted peice, but just like something you'd buy in the store. Make sense? So, lack of detail aside, it did require some creativity to get the insignia on the thing, because I had to do two things. One, I had to make the decals, which isn't really that hard, but takes some know-how and is quite time consuming. Seconly, I had paint those areas where the decals would go white, so they'd show up nicely. The rest is grey. Talk about tiny painting! Had to paint around the edges of each decal I'd made, including between the feather edges, without going over the black border OR leaving any white showing. First time I've ever had to use a magnifier to paint with. But, I was pleased with the result, which does indeed look just like what a Micro Machine TAS KR would look like. So, enjoy, and thanks to Mike for a cool project.

Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work.

I take it that, for the very fine detailed painting, you are younger than 40 with good eyesight.

If not then you must eat a lot of carrots.

Even with a mag glass, I have trouble with fine details.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stellar work, as-always Mike.
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Even without all the details it still looks great.

Cool decals too.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: