Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More evasive maneuvering questions.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m1a1dat
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: More evasive maneuvering questions. Reply with quote

This situation came up for us in a recent game. The Romulan began uncloacking and then next impulse still during fade in he realized that he would end up much closer to many photons than he ad intended. So during the fade in impulse he announced evasive maneuvers and paid the energy. Now does the announcement of evasive maneuvers void the cloak immediately or when it begins to have an affect after direct fire?

And when looking for an answer in the reference rulebook I realized some curious wording on the turn break exceptions. In (2D4a) turn break exception 2 you can declare it in impulse 8 and not pay for it until energy allocation, and if you don't have the power in energy allocation you ship is destroyed. I get that but, it also says in parenthesis (it could not declare EM unless it had enough power at the time of declaration). This is what confuses me now. Does it mean that: (A) a ship would have to have enough available free power at the time as if it was mid turn and not using the exception and i just don't actually spend it at that point? Or (B) does it mean that the ship has enough undamaged power boxes (at that point) that it can pay for it next turn?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option B. The ship must be able to generate the power next turn.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
m1a1dat
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way we have been doing it so at least we have been doing it right.

So when does evasive maneuvering start voiding the cloak, on announcment, leaving the ship vulnerable during direct fire, or when it takes affect after direct fire?
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(A) a ship would have to have enough available free power at the time as if it was mid turn and not using the exception and i just don't actually spend it at that point? Or (B) does it mean that the ship has enough undamaged power boxes (at that point) that it can pay for it next turn?

Quote:
Option B. The ship must be able to generate the power next turn.

woo - hang on can you repeat that. No where else that I can think of where you have to have power to pay for somethiing refers to undamaged blue boxes, it means how much available power on the energy track you actually have at the point of declaration. Are you saying you can decalre EM whilst having zero power just because it happens to be impulse 8 - if so why?

We've always played it as A) - if you don't have free power to pay for it then you can't declare it, the same as any other impulse in the game. You can still blow up the follwing turn if during offensive fire or hit and run of impulse 8 you lose power boxes and can't generate needed power after energy allocation on the turn break. Ineed you may have already lost them but still have the free power.

Even with option A) The exception provides a powerful edge on impulse 8 in that you can declare EM due to having free power thenn use that power to fire weapons instead (or reinforce shields etc). But at least you had to have planned to keep back the power for it. But allowing a ship to use all his energy by imp 7 and then get EM on credit going into the next turn!

How about a rule that lets me fire weapons on impulse 8 as long as I have the blue boxes and then actually pay for it over the turn break??
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole thing came up because of continuing EM over a turn break problems, it used to end at the end of a turn but then there would be a window in which the ship was not protected by EM.

Weapons are not the same, since they are instantaneous and not continued over a turn break like EM Rolling Eyes
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be fine with that storyelf, so long as you can't fire them again next turn just as an impulse 8 declaration of EM counts as you one declaration for both turns. Because you no longer gain the benefeit of EM the impulse it is declared it would be foolish to pay for it twice. EM is a very powerful tool but it is much more manageable with these new rules.

As far as losing the benefit of the cloak I would think it would happen when the EM takes effect which is after the direct fire phase (when the romulan can't fire) but before the launch phase (so the romulan cannot launch torpedoes).

Temper that response with the fact that Mike West is the fedcomm answer man and whatever he says is the correct ruling.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - but MWest is saying you do NOT even have to have power to do it, that is quite different. If I can borrow power off future turns for one thing, why not others? Any other reference to having power refers to having actual free power on your energy track, not just undamaged blue boxes. That is why it had never even occured to me about option B) noted in the first post.

Whether or not it used to end at the end of the turn, it does not now, so no need for such a rule. You can now opt to continue EM by paying during energy allocation and avoid it dropping. Therefore an EM on imp 8 is like anyother EM on any other impulse, it will take effect after everyone gets one fire then carry on so long as you pay for it each turn.

It is not the delayed payment that bothers me (well not as much), it is the fact that you can have the benefit of EM at the start of the following turn even if you didn't plan for the power need, If you run out of power for EM by impulse 8 than you shouldn't be able to get EM up in time for impulse 1. Its bad enough that you can hold EM power to 8, declare EM then use the power for other things, but at least you had to plan for it being there on 8.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what he is saying. Why are you taking such personal offense to the ruling? It is a simple game mechanic that keeps all the other impulses simple. You could just as easily say that you pay for EM when the +2 Shift takes effect but then we would have to keep records of "did you declare it last impulse?", "Did you pay for your declaration last Impulse?", Etc. It is just an accounting trick because in the old rule EM was effective at the moment of declaration, since that is no longer the case you could not effectivley have EM on Impulse 1 after a turn break. It is not a big deal or even "your opponent getting one up on you" it is just a simple accounting trick.

Besides just Direct on his Power and hope you blow away enough warp so that his ship explodes on the next impulse.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whether or not it used to end at the end of the turn, it does not now, so no need for such a rule. You can now opt to continue EM by paying during energy allocation and avoid it dropping. Therefore an EM on imp 8 is like anyother EM on any other impulse, it will take effect after everyone gets one fire then carry on so long as you pay for it each turn.

But in the new case you are forcing your opponent to pay for it TWICE. If they pay on impulse 8 (where they recieve NO benefit) and Impulse 1 they will double pay. That isn't right.
m1a1dat
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evasive maneuvers and the turn break has always been a bit of a problem for FedCom. If you go back and look at older posts people were wondering since if they start it on impule 1 and it last the whole turn then why if they start it on impule 7 does it then stop at the end of the turn and they have to pay for it again to keep it up, why shouldn't it go on until impulse 7 of the next turn without having to pay for it again in energy allocation. Steve wisely decided that nothing carries over a turn break. That's the artificiality of the turn break and we just have to work around that.

As for when EM voids the cloak: I think it should be when it is announced and paid for. It's not just the evasive maneuvering but the spike in power usage that voids the cloak. Just as the high energy turn, you can tell ahead of time that it's going to happen before it happens. Voiding a cloak is always a very bad thing. But then maybe it needs to be balanced as the cloaked ship will not get a chance to fire at all.

BTW if you want to try something weird and fun about the artificial point of the turn break, then offset each players turn so that they are different. My energy allocation and impulse 1 is your impulse 5 this really changes things up. I did this once in SFB and it really changes things and you have to plan your turn very differently as it appears in your turn that enemy single turn weapons can fire twice and 2 turn weapons seem to fire every other turn. They don't of course, but it can seem that way. But without the 1/4 turn delay in firing that you have in SFB and not in FC this is pretty bad as some weapons can fire 2 impulses in a row.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1a1dat wrote:

BTW if you want to try something weird and fun about the artificial point of the turn break, then offset each players turn so that they are different. My energy allocation and impulse 1 is your impulse 5 this really changes things up. I did this once in SFB and it really changes things and you have to plan your turn very differently as it appears in your turn that enemy single turn weapons can fire twice and 2 turn weapons seem to fire every other turn. They don't of course, but it can seem that way. But without the 1/4 turn delay in firing that you have in SFB and not in FC this is pretty bad as some weapons can fire 2 impulses in a row.

First of all I think that this is brilliant and I plan to try it today, second of all I am very interested in what Mike has to say about the Cloak voiding rule.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savedfromwhat wrote:
Quote:

But in the new case you are forcing your opponent to pay for it TWICE. If they pay on impulse 8 (where they recieve NO benefit) and Impulse 1 they will double pay. That isn't right.

The do recieve a benefit, the same benefit any other EM declaration gives - the following impulse you have +2 shift. If I declare EM on impulse 6 I do not receive a benefit on that impulse. But it will be up on imp 7. If I declare on 8 I recieve no benefit on imp 8, but it will be up on impulse 1. The way EM works there is no turn break issue. The only way to be EM on any impulse is to pay for it the impulse before, without receiving a benefit at that point.

PS I don't take personal offense. I was just staggered to see that ruling. Not the delayed payment, that has been in a while, but the ruling that you don't actually even have to be 'able' to pay for at the point of declaration, that is totally against the grain of managing power and any other defintion of being able to pay for an action in the game. I'm sure no one round my area would have even thought that was what the rule meant cos it is so out of left field.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m1a1dat wrote:
Steve wisely decided that nothing carries over a turn break.

Not true, Cloaks carry over a turn break, you initially pay for 4 impulses and that doesn't suddenly cancel over the turn break. Neither do you pay again.

Particle cannon fire delay carries over a turn break.

Given the 2 impulses you have to stay in EM then maybe it should have been done the same way as cloak, you pay for those 2 (or more?) impulses at a time. That way if you declare on 8 it will remain in effect over the turn like a cloak. Indeed you could make it so that EM is paid for 8 impulses at time, and like a cloak carries over a turn, you can cancel after 2 impulses but with no refund, That would solve the turn break issue and the issue of being able to come straight out of EM at then end of a turn even if your 2 impulse are not up. No more declaring on 7, having the +2 during ijp 8 and then being auto dropped out of it by the turn break when you should have been in EM until speed change on imp 2.

PS We also play that declaring EM voids a cloak at that point in time, no delay in the void.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, but I am just not following all of the confusion.

If a ship invokes the "Turn Break Exception-2", then, as specifically stated, the payment of energy is not made until Energy Allocation of the following turn. Also note that the effect doesn't start until the next turn, either. So, you don't pay for it in impulse 8 because you technically aren't using Evasive Maneuvers yet.

"[I]f your ship lacks the energy to pay for EM at that time ..." is referring to Energy Allocation. It makes no sense to apply it to impulse 8, as the ship doesn't pay for it then, and the Evasive Maneuvers don't start then. The payment occurs in Energy Allocation. Besides, it would be absurd to destroy the ship because it doesn't have unused power in impulse 8, as that power has nothing to do with Energy Allocation on the following turn.

The parenthetical comment is just saying that if the ship cannot generate enough power to pay for Evasive Maneuvers when it makes the declaration, it can't make the declaration. The comment is important, however, as it is there to prevent a severely crippled ship from effectively self-destructing by declaring EM when it is impossible to power it. It is not saying that you need to have enough unused energy at the moment of declaration on impulse 8.

As for the second question, since it says "using Evasive Maneuvers", I have to go with when EM starts, not when it is declared. So, the cloak is not voided until the end of the Direct Fire phase when the EM takes effect.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
I am sorry, but I am just not following all of the confusion.

I understand the pay next turn, that is not confusing. The bit that totaly threw me is:

"(it could not declare EM unless it had enough power at the time of declaration)"

The confusion and why I am so taken back by the comment is that nothing else in the game rules refers to counting blue boxes when talking about having enough power for something. In the context of this game that statement seems fairly obviously refering to free energy tokens as that is what is always used when refering to having enough power for something. Indeed the rule book actually states that points of power and energy tokens and a couple of other phrases mean exactly the same thing, so where the rules refer to power they mean energy tokens.

Neither was there any suggestion that having the power on 8 would stop destruction of the ship. Round here we took the comment to mean you must have the power to pay on 8 (it could not declare EM unless it had enough power *which means the same thing as energy tokens* at the time of declaration) but the payment was delayed until energy allocation next turn, at which point you could well still destruct if you lacked the power (for any of several reasons). It did however seem to make perfect sense to to not allow a ship with no available power on 8 to benefit from EM immediatly on impulse 1 (which is a massive advantage, given that enemy weapons are about to come back up). If I catch a ship that has goofed and run out of power on impulse 8 he can freely declare EM on 8 and neuter my volley as my weapons come back up. On any other impulse he would have had to have the power to escape my volley the following impulse. Not only does he benefit from EM as he normally would he does not even suffer the penalties straight away, he could still launch any plasma, or fire off transporters as he also gets a delay in the activation and hence limitations (for free).

Why the extra exceptional rule and complexity in a game that was supposed to be aimed at staying simple. There is no hole in EM (like there was before) that has been filled by the exception. The double cost factor could have been far better dealt with in the same way as cloak, payment gives you 8 impulses evasive which you can cancel (without refund) at any point after 2 impulses. like the cloaks 4 impulses it carries over a turn break. having cloak and EM work similar is in itself a benefit as it keeps to 1 concept rather 2 concepts of which 1 has exceptions to handle something the other doesn't have to. Remembering 1 rule concept is easier than 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: