Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Set the controls for the black hole

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Set the controls for the black hole Reply with quote

So, I,m in a saquadron battle around a black hole. All the enemies ships are damage, and I am down to two. One in good shape, one hurt badly.

As a last ditch effort, can I evacuate the damaged ship, set it to fly into the black hole, and let the radiation fly.

Is this legal in Fed Com?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot "set it to fly" anywhere.

However, once you evacuate the crew (via (5E7)) you may set the abandoned ship to self destruct.

Or, you can maneuver it reasonably close to the black hole and just let it get sucked down.

But, you cannot set a pre-programmed course that a crew-less ship will fly. Once it is abandoned it is dead in space (or exploding).

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a saavy player, seeing an evacuated ship that will soon be sucked into the black hole... will fire several weapons at it (even if it's long range) in an attempt to destroy the unshielded ship before the Black Hole eats it.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Once it is abandoned it is dead in space (or exploding).

That's an interesting point. Would an abandoned ship that's not set to self-destruct still have its systems (like Shields, tractors in place) operating?

Scoutdad wrote:
...in an attempt to destroy the unshielded ship before the Black Hole eats it.

...so would it necessarily be unshielded or would the shields still be operating? (those that are not knocked down, anyway)
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In SFB... you have to pay energy to power the shields every turn. If you don't - there are no shields and if no one is on board to monitor the power sequence and applysaid pawer to shielding; there would be no shielding.

I can only assume (and it's only an assumption) that there are some type of built in safety devices [most likely constructed of hand'wavium] that will prevent the generation of power to an abandoned ship and that with no power [i.e., engine shut down]; there will be no shields.

OK... that's enough techno-babble for me, my brain hurts. Confused
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any actual rule in FC that says the shields are dropped. So the shields would stay up I think. Most abandoned ships self-destruct at the end of hte turn anyway, so it's something that hardly ever comes up that you'd want to fire on an abandoned ship...
m1a1dat
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, even a destroyed ship is still on the map and gets sucked into the black hole and you get the radiation burst (6D2e). You just have to wait for it to get pulled in and can't speed up the process by actively flying into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: